I am NOT going to SL20B

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't seen much lag at SL20B, using Firestorm on a PC with an NVIdia 3070, 12 CPUs, and 32GB of memory.

However, those regions with 80+ avatars are totally hopeless on a machine with an NVidia 670, 4 CPUs, and 8GB of memory.

There are technical discussions going on about this elsewhere. Both Linden devs and TPV devs agree that crowds are a hard problem. For now, if you want to go to mega event region crowd events with user counts in 3 digits, you'll need a gamer-level PC.

It's a nice problem to have. SL's usual problem is having about 3 avatars per square kilometer of mainland, which is boring.

Except for performances, SL20B isn't really that busy, anyway. You can see all the exhibits.

I really like the giant dog atop the Teegle exhibit.

Edited by animats
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

So I started the hunt. Found the first price and then I had to stop

Well, for me the HUD never updated after I found the first prize.  Ok, so deleted that and went and got another HUD, ran up the whole ramp, got the prize, touched the HUD ... HUD still stuck on the 1st clue. Is there a trick to it?  I asked somebody who seemed to be doing the hunt too, and his HUD wasn't working either, altho some folks said theirs worked earlier today.  Someone gave me a LM to the 2nd prize, and I was able to pick that up, but still no clues from the HUD.  Maybe a server issue? Perhaps someone will just make a list of the clues.  Oh well, not that interested in picking up stuff anyway, just thought it'd be a nice way to find places LL thought we should visit.

I went to a few music/performance venues.  Each venue seems fully landscaped/built, even in areas where few avatars will go.  Futuristic, but with a lot of natural plants. The Amaze etc. venue is where Patch did the opening speech.   The lighting effects on the big 'petals' he stood in front of are nice; and I particularly like the "branches" of the build with little grassy platforms up high.   There's gorgeous underwater landscaping in the big Dazzle auditorium complex. Oroborus is a textbook in how to build a really beautiful space with few textures.  Use Advanced Lighting there; it has wonderful interaction between textures, some slowly animated, and lighting.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, shireena1 said:

I am still rocking it on a 8th gen intel, an rtx2070, 6 cpu, 32 gig memory, 3500mbs nvme drive..

Similar, except my laptop's gpu is a 1050 with 4gb vram. Still ok for me with large events when ALM and shadows are shut off for a while... and Cool VL Viewer is used for viewing.

Kudos SL for putting SL20B together in such a BIG way!

I'm delighted that Shop n Hop was updated; it's so much easier to get around. Ditto SL20B itself. The new builds are open, airy, grand and just feel good. The time capsule set up was confusing at first, but once I understood it, it made perfect sense. My hunt HUD did work, but I still had to cheat to get the gifts. Still working my way through the exhibits. So far Burning Man and KittyCats stand out. Lag is up and down depending on the time/day, but at no time did I want to leave because of it.

I fully intend to see every crevice of it. Twenty years! Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music!

• Like 4

The Lindens and Moles did a fantastic job on SL20B. There's an awful lot to it, and the directory of exhibits this year -- like the usual Shop 'n Hop directories -- will ensure many more visitors and much more reach for the people who contributed.

The builds are exotic and the swag is pretty good. The hunt had the same glitch as last year where you can't get past the first station but usually someone in the group will TP you to the next one. It's pretty straightforward.

My game has completely lagged out lately everywhere and I don't get why, as I have the same computer, same graphics card, same ISP as last year. So I turn off avatars view etc and try to creep along. 

The SL book on issu is also a keeper. It's always good to learn how the Lindens see themselves and their creation which often diverges so greatly from my view and the view of others. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 8

50 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The Lindens and Moles did a fantastic job on SL20B. There's an awful lot to it, and the directory of exhibits this year -- like the usual Shop 'n Hop directories -- will ensure many more visitors and much more reach for the people who contributed.

The builds are exotic and the swag is pretty good. The hunt had the same glitch as last year where you can't get past the first station but usually someone in the group will TP you to the next one. It's pretty straightforward.

My game has completely lagged out lately everywhere and I don't get why, as I have the same computer, same graphics card, same ISP as last year. So I turn off avatars view etc and try to creep along. 

The SL book on issu is also a keeper. It's always good to learn how the Lindens see themselves and their creation which often diverges so greatly from my view and the view of others. 

Welcome back!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I'm delighted that Shop n Hop was updated; it's so much easier to get around. Ditto SL20B itself.

I, too, want to second the appreciation of the new Shop n Hop layout. I thought before that it was my general inattention that made the old version unpleasant to navigate, but this new one is a joy. (Also, take a moment to admire the plants. They're easy to miss, just walking by.)

Navigating these exhibit regions is better for me than before. They're laid out closer to a simple Cartesian grid—maybe as near as one could hope, given the non-uniform parcel sizes—so it's a little easier to not lose track of progress through a region.

Question: Does anybody else wish they could attach EEP to their cam location (and viewing direction), instead of the avatar location?  I've noticed that many exhibits have custom EEP environments that enhance their experience, but unless I'm inside the parcel, I don't get that experience, so I may never get into the parcel at all. (I don't know how far a script could go in achieving this. There's llGetEnvironment and llSetAgentEnvironment that might get pretty close for a HUD that watches cam parameters and casts a ray to see the target of gaze. Actually, I wonder if somebody has already open sourced the little gadget I'm suddenly tempted to build.

• Like 1

I haven't seen anything regarding a new Linden Homes reveal.  Did I miss it or is that only during the Homes and Garden thing?

Side note:  I would dearly love to see a outer space theme, little space ship homes with a central 'space station' as the public meeting place.  

Edited by Ellen Cordeaux
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ellen Cordeaux said:

I haven't seen anything regarding a new Linden Homes reveal.  Did I miss it or is that only during the Homes and Garden thing?

As Nika implied with her video, current guess is that the announcement of the models to preview will be on Monday when Patch does his Lab Gab session.  Then they will magically show up attached to the SL20B regions.  Potentially launch the same day or within the week.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 6:20 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Yes and I was actually speaking more to your comment here where you responded to Coffee saying basically the same thing...LL need to have these events (music performances) on a dedicated channel we can set at home

I wish the live streams were available in the client as a personal radio station anyone could select instead of the local parcel audio, like a baked in 'Linden Radio'.

How about this ?  Instead of spamming 50K+ users with the news "Josephina Bloggs is now known as Joseph Bloggs" they pop a URL to the live stream instead.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 1

I was at one of the exhibitions just now.
Instead of the moon (or was it the sun) a planet rises with a few circles just like Jupiter and the SL20B logo on it.
And suddenly I got a brainwave: That might be a hint about the release of the new Belli theme: Space.
Then the April fools UFO appearances this year in Bellisseria make sense as well.

hxC5VZr.png

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

And the futuristic lighting in the Welcome area and the LL stages fit in that theme as well: futuristic/space.

Now I wonder: Is there a market for private eyes or detectives in SL?
Inspector Nagy .... sounds good.

Just one more question....

43pNB-1531336150-2121-blog-columbo%20mai

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I was at one of the exhibitions just now.
Instead of the moon (or was it the sun) a planet rises with a few circles just like Jupiter and the SL20B logo on it.
And suddenly I got a brainwave: That might be a hint about the release of the new Belli theme: Space.
Then the April fools UFO appearances this year in Bellisseria make sense as well.

hxC5VZr.png

IMG_1886.png

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.