I am NOT going to SL20B

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Me, 15 years ago I wish the live streams were available in the client as a personal radio station anyone could select instead of the local parcel audio, like a baked in 'Linden Radio'.

"Oh that's a great idea.."

No, don't bother implementing it. It's only the highlight of the yearly calendar.

Hmmm...seems a waste of resources to me...to develop that...as people can easily play YouTube or whatever from the internet if they want something private.

Besides, I like to set the tone (and music is crucial) at any sim I design as part of the overall experience. Nobody has to listen to that, of course, and can easily find their own stream on their PC.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Don't let Scylla see this. I didn't go looking for it but that happens to be the person who made a vid about the art show and swears Scylla is a man because of it. 

She's also a transphobe and can't help wade into that while  on her rant. But still .. the sentiment about shop and hop stands.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
16 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think I found a friend for you.

That is the typical user experience for these events.

We do it every year and we learn nothing, every single year.

I believe the video posted represents someone who never left adolescence. It's "cool"  to trash whatever you're part of at that stage of life-- a way to garner an identity that is lacking or poorly formed because they are still young and growing in their teen years (or beyond, unfortunately, in many cases)

• Like 5

I am fed up with these events passing me by, I am taking a look right now, have teleported into one of the welcome areas via the Destination Guide and so far so good, doesn't feel laggy to me. Not feeling terribly sociable, but this is preferable to being in a real life venue right now with all the sweaty great unwashed! 

23.06.2023 SL20B 1 - Just arrived in world.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

She's also a transphobe and can't help wade into that while  on her rant. But still .. the sentiment about shop and hop stands.

The way she drops f bombs every other word doesn't help. She must either be Australian or male. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I've never seen so much complaining by long term users YET you want LL to do more in promoting the platform? I just don't get it. Is there anything anyone likes here? If not then why for God's sake are you even still here?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hmmm...seems a waste of resources to me...to develop that...as people can easily play YouTube or whatever from the internet if they want something private.

Besides, I like to set the tone (and music is crucial) at any sim I design as part of the overall experience. Nobody has to listen to that, of course, and can easily find their own stream on their PC.

You're missing the point.

Big music events in SL are by design exclusionary.

The SLB stage is the biggest event of the entire year.

You need a powerful PC to attend, and should 1 whole percent of the online population show up, the event is toast as the regions will lock. Then people will start crashing creating a revolving door where only those with the hardiest tech get to maintain a presence. 

If 2% ever decide to visit. It's a complete write off.

This is the big calendar event of the year and most people wont be going.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Haha 1

To me this one seems vastly better managed than previous SL birthdays, but I already said that in one of the other threads. Still, I quickly saturate on the resident exhibits and, unless I come back after a few hours, I stop seeing anything in what I'm looking at.

What really did me in just now, though, was a single underwater exhibit. It was quite good, but a bit "on the nose" today.

As for lag, I really haven't noticed much since the big opening yesterday, but that was interesting. I crashed trying to teleport out at the end of the event, then managed to escape on the next login but was still very lagged when I got away to a quiet Mainland region where the Linden road parcels seemed to be playing the same audio stream as the big event. The viewer lag just would not clear until I restarted again, and then the stream was gone, so no doubt the road wasn't playing that stream, however this jogged a memory: I could swear that once upon a time, ages ago, all Linden protected land was set to livestream Philip's town hall audio. (Or maybe I'm hallucinating that memory.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You're missing the point.

Big music events in SL are by design exclusionary.

The SLB stage is the biggest event of the entire year.

You need a powerful PC to attend, and should 1 whole percent of the online population show up, the event is toast as the regions will lock. Then people will start crashing creating a revolving door where only those with the hardiest tech get to maintain a presence. 

If 2% ever decide to visit. It's a complete write off.

This is the big calendar event of the years and most people wont be going.

Well Coffee, I'm not a technical person, but don't you think if LL could have designed a region that would hold hundreds or thousands of people at once they would have done so? I think I heard the game engine does have limitations, as it's quite old.

Besides, there are many concerts going on over many days, and likely anyone who is interested will be able to attend some of them.

I have a potato computer and I was able to attend. Granted, people were naked a long while...lol...but I could see the performers and hear the music.

I rezzed in on Second Life's 7th birthday.  I am 13 years young today.  I made my rounds at the Shop & Hop (just visited stores I frequent).  I will visit the rest of the regions as well, at a leisurely pace.  Happy Birthday Second Life!!!  Here's to another 20 years!!!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's 2023 and we have on demand video streaming. Twitch might hate us (personally), but Kick don't .. why isn't there an official stream of the ongoing festivities and performances?

Because SLB wouldn't be promoting crypto-gambling. 😂

Sorry sorry, couldn't resist. A YouTube livestream would be a good option, though.

• Haha 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Well Coffee, I'm not a technical person, but don't you think if LL could have designed a region that would hold hundreds or thousands of people at once they would have done so? I think I heard the game engine does have limitations, as it's quite old.

Getting more than a couple hundred people in a shared space on any platform is one of techs big unsolved problems. LL's own special event regions are a brute for approach.

This isn't an SL is old issue, its basic scaling that affects everything.

Other more modern platforms solve this with instancing, so there are servers that mirror the event and the performer, and unlimited people can attend but no one will ever see more than 60 or so. LL wrote this tech themselves for Sansar.

Besides, there are many concerts going on over many days, and likely anyone who is interested will be able to attend some of them.

The tiny minority who know about the events and show up is about the limit that the event can handle.

99% of SL wont be going, probably because most of them don't know.

Which is both a good thing for people attending, and pretty sad.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Me, 15 years ago I wish the live streams were available in the client as a personal radio station anyone could select instead of the local parcel audio, like a baked in 'Linden Radio'.

"Oh that's a great idea.."

No, don't bother implementing it. It's only the highlight of the yearly calendar.

Is not like more than a fraction of a percent of SL's online population can attend these events even if they wanted to. The overwhelming majority of SL users will be staying away, likely unaware the celebrations are even happening.

Which is a good thing. If an additional 1% of the just the online population show up to the main stage, the entire event is a toast.

It's 2023 and we have on demand video streaming. Twitch might hate us (personally), but Kick don't .. why isn't there an official stream of the ongoing festivities and performances?

When one isn't there to interact with others, it will be extremely boring to watch I'm afraid.
I went to see the openings speech, was there in time, never saw more than a bunch of name tags and clouds. The first avatar to pop up out of the mist was Brad Linden and a few seconds later I crashed completely.
So I watched the stream on Youtube and that was as expected boring. Not the text from Patch's speech, but visually. Nothing to see really, just a loop of the same animation with Patch. Just like the LabGabs are boring as hell to watch. So streaming it all isn't the answer if you ask me.

This afternoon I was there again, flew over the welcome island and crashed again.  SL is simply not capable to deliver properly for this kind of events.
I will go back the last few days when the crowds have left.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I AM going to SL20B

It's just another thing to do in Second Life. Compared to prior years, it is impressive. The moles, in particular Missy, have done an outstanding job organizing and building. Everything appears to be new, no repurposed builds. The number of exhibitors is now over 300 (five years ago it was around 150). There are many more regions and the parcels are generally larger. There is an actual exhibitor directory and maps (in that online book thingy). Even the SL20B Hunt has hints that make sense.

I am seeing moles with fun fashion choices (Strawberry ALWAYS looks good). And lots of volunteers. Many people truly enjoy  greeting and running the music performances.

In a few days we will get the usual  stage interviews with those in charge at Linden Lab, which can be entertaining (and frustrating). Always remember that decisions about the fate of Second Life rests with owners, not those who actually work there.

Lagwise, I have  no issues even though I use a laptop with midrange graphics. The exhibitor regions are lightly trafficed anyway, so no issues there.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.... which is guessing when the 28 regions of 2048 Linden Ranch Homes will drop.

SL20B diamond blue.jpg

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
34 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Getting more than a couple hundred people in a shared space on any platform is one of techs big unsolved problems. LL's own special event regions are a brute for approach.

This isn't an SL is old issue, its basic scaling that affects everything.

Other more modern platforms solve this with instancing, so there are servers that mirror the event and the performer, and unlimited people can attend but no one will ever see more than 60 or so. LL wrote this tech themselves for Sansar.

Are you saying that the technology for Instancing used at Sansar would definitely transfer to Second Life?

21 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

When one isn't there to interact with others, it will be extremely boring to watch I'm afraid.
I went to see the openings speech, was there in time, never saw more than a bunch of name tags and clouds, The first avatar to pop up was Brad Linden and a few seconds later I crashed completely.
So I watched the stream on Youtube and that was as expected boring. Not the text from Patch's speech, but visually. Nothing to see really, just a loop of the same animation with Patch. Just like the LabGabs are boring as hell to watch. So streaming it all isn't the answer if you ask me.

This afternoon I was there again, flew over the welcome island and crashed again.  SL is simply not capable to deliver properly for this kind of events.
I will go back the last few days when the crowds have left.

That's generally what I do when they run the annual Burning Life event, go at the end, and at least, unlike Glastonbury, the portaloos don't smell!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe wait until SL35B, when brain implants will make hyperlag a thing of the past.

"When I was a cub, we didn't have brain implants. We had LAG!"

Careful.  Those might be installed with LAG SCREWS.  (Old tree joke.)

• Thanks 1

Hmmm...never roleplayed before...this is interesting at the birthday party.  They seem kinda mean here:

*btw, I am Belephannt...so not posting anybody else's chat:

[09:25] narrator: Alexa stumbles back as the other character collides with her, her grip on the cyber spiked bat tightening instinctively. "Watch where you're going," she says sharply in her Slavic-Eastern European accent, her voice laced with annoyance. She narrows her eyes, studying the other character with suspicion, wondering if they were after something or just plain clumsy.
[09:25] narrator: Alexa stumbled backward as she collided with the other character, her cyber spiked bat clattering to the ground. She quickly regained her footing and glared at the offender. "Watch where you're going," she growled in her Slavic-accented voice, her eyes flashing with annoyance. The dangerous glint in her eyes hinted at what could happen if the other character didn't back off.
[09:25] Belephannt says excuse me dear
[09:25] narrator: Alexa shifts her weight, eyeing the new character with suspicion. "Excuse me?" she echoes, her accent rolling the r's a touch more than usual. "What do you want?" She tenses, ready to defend herself if needed. Her hand hovers near the cyber spiked bat at her side, ready to unsheathe it at a moment's notice. Alexa didn't trust easily in Glowhaven, and she wasn't about to start now.

Hmmm...never roleplayed before...this is interesting at the birthday party.  They seem kinda mean here:

*btw, I am Belephannt...so not posting anybody else's chat:

[09:25] narrator: Alexa stumbles back as the other character collides with her, her grip on the cyber spiked bat tightening instinctively. "Watch where you're going," she says sharply in her Slavic-Eastern European accent, her voice laced with annoyance. She narrows her eyes, studying the other character with suspicion, wondering if they were after something or just plain clumsy.
[09:25] narrator: Alexa stumbled backward as she collided with the other character, her cyber spiked bat clattering to the ground. She quickly regained her footing and glared at the offender. "Watch where you're going," she growled in her Slavic-accented voice, her eyes flashing with annoyance. The dangerous glint in her eyes hinted at what could happen if the other character didn't back off.
[09:25] Belephannt says excuse me dear
[09:25] narrator: Alexa shifts her weight, eyeing the new character with suspicion. "Excuse me?" she echoes, her accent rolling the r's a touch more than usual. "What do you want?" She tenses, ready to defend herself if needed. Her hand hovers near the cyber spiked bat at her side, ready to unsheathe it at a moment's notice. Alexa didn't trust easily in Glowhaven, and she wasn't about to start now.

There's almost-full-para RB at SL20B? 
EWWWW!

Is there a way to shut it off?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.