I am NOT going to SL20B

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

BTW...is you decide NOT to NOT GO....be sure and join the Second Life Birthday group...they chat about what's going on and funny stuff...good way to make connections there.

@Coffee Pancake  There are over 18,000 in this group the 2nd day...it's just not true nobody knows about the event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well Coffee, I'm not a technical person, but don't you think if LL could have designed a region that would hold hundreds or thousands of people at once they would have done so? I think I heard the game engine does have limitations, as it's quite old.

Besides, there are many concerts going on over many days, and likely anyone who is interested will be able to attend some of them.

I have a potato computer and I was able to attend. Granted, people were naked a long while...lol...but I could see the performers and hear the music.

But they should have a dedicated channel for the music so one can listen anywhere.  I'd like to be able to listen to the performers while doing something at my home.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

BTW...is you decide NOT to NOT GO....be sure and join the Second Life Birthday group...they chat about what's going on and funny stuff...good way to make connections there.

@Coffee Pancake  There are over 18,000 in this group the 2nd day...it's just not true nobody knows about the event.

As a percentage of the active SL population .. even if we assume everyone in the group is active in SL, that is nobody. 

How many joined the group a decade ago and haven't logged in since?

How many in that group are even online right now ...\

18K people in a group is a nonsense .. if those 18K people all logged into SL right now, the group chat would be long dead and so would most other group chats too

SL group chat only works at all because almost everyone who ever joined a group isn't online.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't there a thread about Bonnie Bots on here somewhere at some point? 

Anyway, they have an exhibition running at SL20B too. And CEO was there ready to answer any questions not already covered on their information boards.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SLB Captivate/107/163/24

temp laugh.jpg

temp laugh.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

18K people in a group is a nonsense .. if those 18K people all logged into SL right now, the group chat would be long dead and so would most other group chats too

SL group chat only works at all because almost everyone who ever joined a group isn't online.

and nobody wants to be inworld all the time, or even at this event at the same time...

and so..what IS your point?

Edited by Luna Bliss

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Don't let Scylla see this. I didn't go looking for it but that happens to be the person who made a vid about the art show and swears Scylla is a man because of it. 

Yeah, this is the woman who spammed my Flickr with hate posts. She seems to believe that pretty much any woman she meets in-world is a "dude," actually, and there's pretty much nothing that doesn't attract an obscenity-laden rant from her.

She's a deeply unpleasant transphobic and homophobic troll, and I'm sorry to see her frankly pathetic videos getting oxygen here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 3

29 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

But they should have a dedicated channel for the music so one can listen anywhere.  I'd like to be able to listen to the performers while doing something at my home. 

I'd like that. I really don't like being trapped at the performer stage, nice as it is, all the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, this is the woman who spammed my Flickr with hate posts. She seems to believe that pretty much any woman she meets in-world is a "dude," actually, and there's pretty much nothing that doesn't attract an obscenity-laden rant from her.

She's a deeply unpleasant transphobic and homophobic troll, and I'm sorry to see her frankly pathetic videos getting oxygen here.

She is totally toxic, and I am sorry I even added to her view count by clicking on the link. But like I've said before, Scylla, you have your fans and friends, and her opinion really doesn't matter. Anyone who hangs from the coat tails of anyone like that must be as bitter and twisted too.

As regards her comments about SL20B, I think there is something there for everyone. From art to history, and all the sillyness in between. I've already been logged in for two hours and it has felt like 15 minutes and I have only scratched the surface. Feel it's much better this year just because there is a really comprehensive guide of what's where, so I've been hopping between regions, avoiding all the busy places. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd like that. I really don't like being trapped at the performer stage, nice as it is, all the time.

Yes and I was actually speaking more to your comment here where you responded to Coffee saying basically the same thing...LL need to have these events (music performances) on a dedicated channel we can set at home

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hmmm...seems a waste of resources to me...to develop that...as people can easily play YouTube or whatever from the internet if they want something private.

Besides, I like to set the tone (and music is crucial) at any sim I design as part of the overall experience. Nobody has to listen to that, of course, and can easily find their own stream on their PC.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I saw @Polenth Yue's mushrooms!

I've spent sixteen years spreading spores around, so it's hard to miss them at this point!

Anyone who doesn't go misses the chance to get the very first sculpty mushroom I ever made. It's terrible, which is why nobody has seen it before, but it could be your very own!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

I've spent sixteen years spreading spores around, so it's hard to miss them at this point!

Anyone who doesn't go misses the chance to get the very first sculpty mushroom I ever made. It's terrible, which is why nobody has seen it before, but it could be your very own!

You should add a taxi link. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes and I was actually speaking more to your comment here where you responded to Coffee saying basically the same thing...LL need to have these events (music performances) on a dedicated channel we can set at home

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hmmm...seems a waste of resources to me...to develop that...as people can easily play YouTube or whatever from the internet if they want something private.

Besides, I like to set the tone (and music is crucial) at any sim I design as part of the overall experience. Nobody has to listen to that, of course, and can easily find their own stream on their PC.

The problem is that ME desiring this, or a few people on the forum wanting it, doesn't mean lots of others would, or that it would be anything worthwhile for LL to invest in.  I'd have to know the numbers...both in terms of people who would utilize this...as well as the cost of implementing it...before decided if we 'should' do it...(if I was running this world).

We also have to consider...is it wise to encourage people to be outside the world too much?  Perhaps in some ways, but not others, depending upon the goals of any event.

I've been hopping around different areas this morning/afternoon.  Even at the busiest ones, I'm not lagging at all.  The gift region being the busiest right now and I'm running on High graphics getting 80 fps.  I'll check back after I visit one of the musical performances.

The adult regions have some really awesome displays.  I'd highly suggest taking a look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

I didn't know where to start when I arrived at SL20B, but the guide is helping me find what I personally want to see, not being much of a shopping type of person, I like things I can interact with.

Oddly enough, @Marigold Devin, that guide made me want to visit less, actually. Nicely laid out? Yes.

But the names of the sims give me no indication of what their theme is or what's predominantly on them (instead of SLB20 Music, and SLB20 Fashion, and SLB20 Art etc we have Blissful, Breathtaking, Celebrate etc), and I can't fathom 90% of the names of the exhibitors to determine even what they are about.

Not to pick on this one, but what is the presenter "I don't know, I don't know" even about? Does not make me want to go and look. The guide should have some indication of what the presenter is about (an icon, maybe?) so one could plan.

I know, it's just me. :(

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Wasn't there a thread about Bonnie Bots on here somewhere at some point? 

Anyway, they have an exhibition running at SL20B too. And CEO was there ready to answer any questions not already covered on their information boards.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SLB Captivate/107/163/24

temp laugh.jpg

temp laugh.jpg

This is depressing. Who let THEM in?!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now I'm all confused, what if we do NOT decide NOT to NOT go?

Where's Shakespeare when you need him?

To go or not to go.... that's the question. Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm sure this post is gonna bring me some smoke but anyway...

The lag thing is never. going. away. for us in SL.  It's been a topic of angst the entire time I've been in SL (circa 2006). We all know at this point how to deal with it the best we can from our end. 

A couple years ago I invested in a high end gaming rig and guess what?  Half of the Avi at the opening ceremony were STILL clouds or nekkid BoM monsters.  I mean 🤷‍♀️  Conversely I had no issues at all at the shopping area or the music fest, but I had to lower my viewer settings waaay down and SL is the only platform where I have to do that.  But so what?  I know what it is. 

It's a big deal SL still being around after 20 years, when y'all know all of us having been hearing "SL is Dead" pretty much the whole time.  If people don't know about SLB and other festivals that celebrate the community, some of that (not all) is likely due to them not seeking out the info.  The rest, I dunno what else they can do?  The blogs and forums and everything exist, the info is out there if you want to find it.

Anyway, rant over.  Don't wanna participate, then don't.  Ugh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

But the names of the sims give me no indication of what their theme is or what's predominantly on them (instead of SLB20 Music, and SLB20 Fashion, and SLB20 Art etc we have Blissful, Breathtaking, Celebrate etc), and I can't fathom 90% of the names of the exhibitors to determine even what they are about.

Each sim has multiple creators participating. The one I'm on atm seems to deal with health issues. For example, the ME installation in my previous post, and I see an Autism education area in the corner. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.