I am NOT going to SL20B

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:26 AM, Anna Nova said:

I hope you all enjoy the HyperLag.  And anyway I got enough 'stuff'.

Happy Anniversary SL.

I'm having a blast, this is one of the few times I get to go around exploring everyone's creations without fear of security orbs 😨 It is also nice to know, that everyone that puts up an exhibit want people to show up, so I don't feel like I am imposing on someone's land. The lag is not so bad, so long as I'm not in a rush, I usually just move from parcel to parcel checking everything out as I move slowly along.  The larger events with a lot of people can lag out my computer if I am not careful, but otherwise it is pretty nice right now.  

Since I first joined SL, this is my favorite time of year; it is something I look forward to but usually don't come for most of the items I see being gifted.  I'll typically grab a kittycat, sometimes I will find a vehicle, or some other odd or end I find neat but usually no more than a few items.  

Unfortunately, even as long as the event is, I usually am unable to fully explore everything due to RL obligations, and before I know it everything is gone and I have to wait another year.  I wish at times, SL would allow us to visit old SLB events, to wander around and catch up on everything we had missed the first time through, or want to revisit.  

Happy Birthday SL, and I hope you all are enjoying whatever it is you like here 😍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This year I find myself popping in every day so far, either to attend something, to enter the giveaway, do the hunt or visit someone’s build. I’ve shopped a bit but not that much.  I pop on a tiny low-li cartoon avi, set my max av capacities low and then just run-run-run everywhere - and sit up front for everything instead of needing to cam forward…it’s been pretty fun, and not too laggy or weird except for one texture glitch. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I was at one of the exhibitions just now.
Instead of the moon (or was it the sun) a planet rises with a few circles just like Jupiter and the SL20B logo on it.
And suddenly I got a brainwave: That might be a hint about the release of the new Belli theme: Space.
Then the April fools UFO appearances this year in Bellisseria make sense as well.

hxC5VZr.png

Oou, I have been waiting for a space theme, I hope so!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 5:16 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Me, 15 years ago I wish the live streams were available in the client as a personal radio station anyone could select instead of the local parcel audio, like a baked in 'Linden Radio'.

"Oh that's a great idea.."

No, don't bother implementing it. It's only the highlight of the yearly calendar.

Is not like more than a fraction of a percent of SL's online population can attend these events even if they wanted to. The overwhelming majority of SL users will be staying away, likely unaware the celebrations are even happening.

Which is a good thing. If an additional 1% of the just the online population show up to the main stage, the entire event is a toast.

It's 2023 and we have on demand video streaming. Twitch might hate us (personally), but Kick don't .. why isn't there an official stream of the ongoing festivities and performances?

There are 1 000 radios in my Woolfyy's hud in more than 50 categories and subcategories that i can launch inworld and keep listening to wherever i go as it uses my browser sound features ... and it's years that i have been using it as i wanted to go on hearing my prefered radio of the moment wherever i go ...

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 11:36 AM, Qie Niangao said:

To me this one seems vastly better managed than previous SL birthdays, but I already said that in one of the other threads. Still, I quickly saturate on the resident exhibits and, unless I come back after a few hours, I stop seeing anything in what I'm looking at.

What really did me in just now, though, was a single underwater exhibit. It was quite good, but a bit "on the nose" today.

As for lag, I really haven't noticed much since the big opening yesterday, but that was interesting. I crashed trying to teleport out at the end of the event, then managed to escape on the next login but was still very lagged when I got away to a quiet Mainland region where the Linden road parcels seemed to be playing the same audio stream as the big event. The viewer lag just would not clear until I restarted again, and then the stream was gone, so no doubt the road wasn't playing that stream, however this jogged a memory: I could swear that once upon a time, ages ago, all Linden protected land was set to livestream Philip's town hall audio. (Or maybe I'm hallucinating that memory.)

A simple solution not to lag on events is what i am building for now = my WizzBox to multiplex events and have a customized environment around it (same approach as some movie theaters already do in rl but much more versatile in a click) .. i have 40 themes right now that i offer during SL20B (worth 2 000 L$), will have over 100 within something like 1 month and it is by design done to support thousands of predefined video direct links with many more features to come soon ... 

[Moderator Edit: Advertising link removed]

Edited by Dakota Linden
[Moderator Edit: Advertising link removed]

22 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

And suddenly I got a brainwave: That might be a hint about the release of the new Belli theme: Space.
Then the April fools UFO appearances this year in Bellisseria make sense as well.

If they announce a space theme, I WILL be getting P+.  Ranches and farms are nice, I guess, but space would be fantastic!!!  Something truly different 🚀👨‍🚀👾

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I was at one of the exhibitions just now.
Instead of the moon (or was it the sun) a planet rises with a few circles just like Jupiter and the SL20B logo on it.

hxC5VZr.png

Presumably we'll know momentarily about the new Belli theme(s), so if they're space / sci-fi, cool.

But independent of Belli, SL20B has had a futuristic theme by design from the beginning:

This year’s Birthday theme is Our Fantastic Future. The cornerstone of this idea is what we would define as eco-futurism including sustainability, a focus on our environment, and the next generation of our world. Some might call this science fiction, but what is science fiction except a dream for a possible future? In Second Life we build worlds. Our worlds, our way. For SL20B, we invite you to show us your worlds of the future!

(Incidentally, that "eco-futurism" echoes Zindra's 2009 design theme. Apparently the future is still somewhere blue of teal.)

Resident exhibits can define their own EEP settings, so it may not have official significance that somebody used a big space planet in their exhibit's private sky; they may just be exhibiting "in-theme".

Still, if Belli gets a space theme, I may switch out of my houseboat… maybe.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

We even have to wait and see if they launch the premium + only in one theme or in all of them step by step, when they are ready to do so.

Interesting thought - I don't recall seeing a lot of discussion that PP may include multiple themes!

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Interesting thought - I don't recall seeing a lot of discussion that PP may include multiple themes!

A year or so ago in one of the speculation threads I said if I was going to dream, I was going ro dream big.

Imagine, if you will, a mailbox.  Clicking it will give you 3 levels to choose from.  Ground level, underwater, space.

Clicking the level you want gives you house options.

Ground level can be any theme we have or something new.

Underwater gives you choices of submarine houses or sea caves.

Space gives you options for space living- rocket ships, small space station.

Are you still imagining with me?  Your neighbor chooses underwater level on one side.  The other neighbor chose space.  Suddenly your view expands and you are not staring into your neighbors yard.

I still want this.  I'm bored with my ground level home.  Now I want to decorate a space theme.  I don't even have to change parcels.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
Ugh. Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of the exhibits was about how someone's friends either left Second Life because they found it unfulfilling or they died at the keyboard. That reminded me of this thread, because celebration and being happy is not actually mandatory. There is content there for you if you want displays about how Second Life crushed all your hopes and dreams.

For everyone else, I noticed mazes were big with this theme. Much like the hidden worlds theme had lots of automated tours (with tour carts and such). There are often trends in things that people think about when they hear certain themes, which aren't directly the theme.

Also, slimedrip mushrooms everywhere this year!

• Like 2

Theme Codenames: Salad dressings. Next: "Ranch". All 2048 m²
Seven floorplans, one "Knotty Pine" w/ attic floor accessible through trapdoor.
(Pending: "Thousand Islands." Eventually? "Blue Cheese"?)

Temporary moratorium on Premium Plus ability to select specific locations until July 10th, Ranch theme only.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Theme Codenames: Salad dressings. Next: "Ranch". All 2048 m²
Seven floorplans, one "Knotty Pine" w/ attic floor accessible through trapdoor.
(Pending: "Thousand Islands." Eventually? "Blue Cheese"?)

Temporary moratorium on Premium Plus ability to select specific locations until July 10th, Ranch theme only.

Blue Cheese = ? Campers? Trads?

Thousand Islands = Houseboats

Second Lifetime Premium account option, LIMITED TIME OFFER
All features of mainline Premium (stipend, etc)
only 200 accounts available, $749 one-time charge

AND

Second Lifetime Premium Plus
20 accounts, $1749 one-time charge
all current Premium Plus benefits

request either via support tickets

• Thanks 1

NUX avatars

Brand Senra? (sp??)
"Blake" and "Jamie"
Full wardrobe included
Dev Kit will require consent to licensing agreement which is in final wrap-up, hope to get kit out before the avatars released
Release awaiting two little pieces of web development

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

NUX avatars

Brand Senra? (sp??)
"Blake" and "Jamie"
Full wardrobe included
Dev Kit will require consent to licensing agreement which is in final wrap-up, hope to get kit out before the avatars released
Release awaiting two little pieces of web development

That sounds VERY soon!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.