What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd prefer the setting be "Show nobody".  It is very useful for large events or mobbed stores to reduce lag. Since I don't shop or attend large events with Friends, I don't need it to even check my Friends list before derendering people.  In those cases, yes, I only give a crap about my experience - wanting to mange the shopping with as little lag as possible.

which would probably get you some nasty remarks if you just randomly starting bumping in to people especially if you didnt say sorry. and if you were there long enough and did it to enough people that they complained to the store owner they might just eject you at that point for being rude and inconsiderate of others.

minor peeve... people who think its just their sl and that any actions or behavior should be tolerated or excused or validated or permitted just to make them happy regardless of the reasons why or how it might affect others.

'just deal with it ya know... stop making a fuss about what I did or why or how!!!"

'like seriously man.. why ya got to make a big issue about nothing!!!'

"its my experience so I will do what I want no matter what you think or say.. got it.. get it.. good!!!'

• Like 1

We can have it one of two ways. We can either keep accidentally bumping into people we can't see or we can be able to walk through them as if their avatar wasn't "solid". What we can't have (assuming no one has bothered to work it out) is both ways. Unless things have changed from "last I knew" our avatars can be physical or not for everyone. Either everyone's avatar is physical or everyone's isn't. As I recall, a long time ago residents wanted physical over nonphysical so that is what we have. So, looks like we'll just have to deal with it and be polite about it. Unless, of course, "we" want to look like a jackass. I do a good enough job of making myself look like a jackass without helping others to make themselves look like one.

• Haha 1

I have this love hate relationship with SL. I love how SL has let me discover myself and explore the multiple facets of my personality. But I hate the people, who are so judgy and petty. I know it's natural human behaviour, but it makes you want to hideaway from the whole grid. And I love exploring the grid. So it's like you are stepping on eggshells hoping you are not judged on how you look, or how you act even though I keep to myself.

• Like 6

Having to take an unplanned day off SL because of Windows Defender and it's "Feel free to keep on working while we scan your device". What it should say is "Feel free to keep on working while we scan your device unless you want to log in to SL even though you whitelisted FS you'll be allowed to log in successfully once your full scan is done"

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I have this love hate relationship with SL. I love how SL has let me discover myself and explore the multiple facets of my personality. But I hate the people, who are so judgy and petty. I know it's natural human behaviour, but it makes you want to hideaway from the whole grid. And I love exploring the grid. So it's like you are stepping on eggshells hoping you are not judged on how you look, or how you act even though I keep to myself.

thats part of human nature. to judge what we dont agree with or like. its not going anywhere. and the solution is to just not care what others say or think or feel or want or like or dislike about what you do or how your look or how you act or what you say. once you learn to be able to do that. nothing can bother you again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd prefer the setting be "Show nobody".  It is very useful for large events or mobbed stores to reduce lag. Since I don't shop or attend large events with Friends, I don't need it to even check my Friends list before derendering people.  In those cases, yes, I only give a crap about my experience - wanting to mange the shopping with as little lag as possible.

which would probably get you some nasty remarks if you just randomly starting bumping in to people especially if you didnt say sorry. and if you were there long enough and did it to enough people that they complained to the store owner they might just eject you at that point for being rude and inconsiderate of others.

My setting has me always in Fly mode when I TP and I immediately hit Page Up to go even higher and then fly away from the landing zone.   Due to that, about the only time I'll bump in to someone is when they stay at the landing zone and I land on their head.  Once I'm away from the landing area, I make sure I'm at a spot with nobody else around before returning to the ground.  Since I pretty much always shop in cam mode without moving about, that also eliminates me bumping in to others via movement through the area.

That is why I prefer to derender everyone - derendering them is not causing me to bump into them and it does reduce the lag.  

The final statement in my quoted comment has to do with having the ability to derender everyone.  It has nothing to do with me wanting to bump into people and not apologize for it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My setting has me always in Fly mode when I TP and I immediately hit Page Up to go even higher and then fly away from the landing zone.   Due to that, about the only time I'll bump in to someone is when they stay at the landing zone and I land on their head.  Once I'm away from the landing area, I make sure I'm at a spot with nobody else around before returning to the ground.  Since I pretty much always shop in cam mode without moving about, that also eliminates me bumping in to others via movement through the area.

That is why I prefer to derender everyone - derendering them is not causing me to bump into them and it does reduce the lag.  

The final statement in my quoted comment has to do with having the ability to derender everyone.  It has nothing to do with me wanting to bump into people and not apologize for it.

thank you for the clarification.

• Like 1

Speaking of landing on heads, my pet peeve is when I'm in my skydome and some rando suddenly appears on top of my head! That's happened to me a few times already! My security orb ejects them but only after they give me a jump 😨

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

minor peeve... people who think you can make things permanent in sl and tells others to try and make them believe it too and then get mad when they are told its not true. then cry and try and use the excuse that by doing so it ruined their fun..

so i guess there fun is in lying to others and trying to deceive and manipulate others.. or playing head games with people and thinking its ok to do so no matter how it might affect that person down the road.

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

We can have it one of two ways. We can either keep accidentally bumping into people we can't see or we can be able to walk through them as if their avatar wasn't "solid". What we can't have (assuming no one has bothered to work it out) is both ways.

Sure you can. In graphics settings, set "Number of non-impostor avatars" to about 3.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Interesting that @Orwar doesn't like the greeting of Hello E/everyone.  See, I was taught that rather than getting into the whole Sir/Miss... yada yada... that this was a polite way to enter the room.

How is that 'interesting' though? It's just more of the same bollocks painted in a different colour.

In my mind, the meaning of that greeting is that whoever utters it somehow should give random dominants/dommes a honorific by capitalizing the E for them. I've got no obligation to rub someone else's ego, period. If someone's such a juvenile snowflake that they get offended because random people around them won't refer to them as their superiors, they absolutely have nothing to do in any A-rated sim, or even civilized society. 

Yes, there are cases where a higher code may be required, if it's a formal event for a community where people know their places and respect each other, for example. But when some newb crawls into a random club going 'hi E/everyone' it appears to me that they've somehow received information but failed to process it, or have been misinformed, or just have that weird perspective that 'all doms are superior to all subs' (probably along with 'all men are tops and all women are bottoms' mentality - the amount of people who call me 'Sir' just because I'm a man is stupid). 

Anyway, today's pet peeve: logging in at home, getting changed, fixing myself up, and TP'ing to work-- And crashing. Coming back in, finding my alphas and appliers didn't save. ¬¬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

How is that 'interesting' though? It's just more of the same bollocks painted in a different colour.

In my mind, the meaning of that greeting is that whoever utters it somehow should give random dominants/dommes a honorific by capitalizing the E for them. I've got no obligation to rub someone else's ego, period. If someone's such a juvenile snowflake that they get offended because random people around them won't refer to them as their superiors, they absolutely have nothing to do in any A-rated sim, or even civilized society. 

Yes, there are cases where a higher code may be required, if it's a formal event for a community where people know their places and respect each other, for example. But when some newb crawls into a random club going 'hi E/everyone' it appears to me that they've somehow received information but failed to process it, or have been misinformed, or just have that weird perspective that 'all doms are superior to all subs' (probably along with 'all men are tops and all women are bottoms' mentality - the amount of people who call me 'Sir' just because I'm a man is stupid). 

Anyway, today's pet peeve: logging in at home, getting changed, fixing myself up, and TP'ing to work-- And crashing. Coming back in, finding my alphas and appliers didn't save. ¬¬

I only really use the E/everyone comment when at social events like D/s group meetings. Otherwise I dont use it. As you say an honorific if not earned/negotiated for is not deserved just because of some egotistical title that some displays. That title alone doesnt make you a Dom/Master and definately doesnt make you mine or entitled to anything from me just because you wear that title.

There are so many fake Dom/Masters here in sl that think that just adding a title/honorific to their name it automatically makes them one or entitles them to some sort of special rights or privileges or powers over sub/pet/slaves. It doesn't and never did or ever will.

Just because some idiot puts Master/Dom/Owner in their name or in a title above their head or in their group doesn't mean I have to call them such or even respect them if they dont respect me equally. If not in a dynamic with me.. you have no control over me and how I have to act towards you. And tough if your frail ego gets butthurt over it and thinks its disrespectful.

not meaning you Orwar but the others in general.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, animats said:

Sure you can. In graphics settings, set "Number of non-impostor avatars" to about 3.

In all the years I've been in SL and on the different viewers I have used, that has never made another avatar where you can walk through them as if they were a ghost.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/setting-your-preferences-r58/#Section__4

Avatar Impostors is a performance-improving feature that renders distant avatars more "cheaply" — instead of being drawn in full 3D as usual, impostors are two-dimensional, like cardboard cutouts.

This means they look rougher around the edges and aren't affected as fluently by inworld effects like lighting, but it may be worth it for the Viewer FPS (Frames Per Second) you gain, making your overall Second Life experience smoother. This is especially noticeable in large crowds, so go to a popular club or hot event and compare before/after.

800px-AvatarImpostor_example.jpg.8d0a162

13 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

In all the years I've been in SL and on the different viewers I have used, that has never made another avatar where you can walk through them as if they were a ghost.

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/setting-your-preferences-r58/#Section__4

800px-AvatarImpostor_example.jpg.8d0a162

So wouldn't setting that lower make more show up as fully rendered at distance then less? So I would think you would want to set it higher and  not lower to improve  rendering performance. 

15 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

So wouldn't setting that lower make more show up as fully rendered at distance then less? So I would think you would want to set it higher and  not lower to improve  rendering performance. 

If you read the article it says:

The Avatars Physics slider (also found here) controls the relative distance at which avatars become impostors. Moving it to the right (High) means avatars become impostors at a further distance, which is preferable if you have a powerful computer.

And at the bottom of that article is this link:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_Impostors_tech_details

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

No.

"Number of Non-Imposter Avatars" does exactly what it says on the tin - it sets the number of avatars that are rendered normally, at a distance affected by the Avatar Physics slider.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That is pretty much the way I do it too.  I don't fly, I just step off the landing zone then change to friends only and cam my way through the event.  I'm as likely to bump into people as anyone, since there is lag and other avs don't always render right away.  I just say pardon me, and move out of the way. Once I am off to the side, I just hold still and cam. Bumping and being bumped is rather a silly issue to get all excited about, no harm is done.

• Like 1

My pet peeve is not being able to see when an item on mp was listed and when the seller last logged on, the way you can see in some groups. Wouldn't it be useful to remove the uncertainty of whether an item is a thousand years old or whether contacting the seller would be equivalent to sending a message into the void? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

No.

"Number of Non-Imposter Avatars" does exactly what it says on the tin - it sets the number of avatars that are rendered normally, at a distance affected by the Avatar Physics slider.

Ahh.. that makes more sense.  Thank you.. I had been using it wrong then.

Typically how I handle big events is, I leave avatars on long enough to see who is around me, I get myself out of the landing area and away from any of the displays. THEN I turned everyone off, then start camming the event. Walking around a bustling event is so much slower to me than just moving my camera around. I grab my demos, and leave to try them on. Come back and buy the stuff later. Leaving and coming back to buy later usually ends up saving me some lindens, as I get the dopamine rush of trying on cute things, but I am not impulsively buying things without know if I do really like it.  Only time this doesn't work is when buying furniture and I want to see the animation, but you can usually get the gist of what the animations might be by a visiting a mainstore.  I wish more stores would put their demos out in their notices.

• Like 1

I am peeved by the use of 'u' and 'ur' when people are chatting  or even posting on forums. Why? The person seems to spell other words, larger words, correctly but they can't type you you're or your.  Everyone makes spelling mistakes-I know I do!  Please stop with the 'u/ur' thing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Text speak is truly irritating, but is how some people txt. I don't like k. Either for OK.

I world big events just get me down because of the lag, and there might only be one thing I like after wasting time camming round.

Just now my love affair with forums is on the rocks. Since I first came here it has altered for the worst, with flying egos and opinions, and mud slinging. And multiple threads which just take too much time to bother reading. Most of it now, especially the quotes, are TL:DR, and some of the characters I really liked have vanished. I would love to take a break from the forums, but I fear my addiction prevents this. So I'll continue, but with less involvement than before.

I realise that nothing will change, because people are people. 

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 4

Putting the last tiny screw into something when it slips off the driver and goes flying. Then the instant I lose sight of it, it is instantly transported into an alternate universe. The correlating peeve is stepping on a tiny, unknown extra screw on the carpet that is definitely not one I have ever lost.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.