What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Finding a full laundry basket in front of my door and trying to guess why it is there:

1. It’s a fan thing. Throwing one pair of panties isn’t enough, here’s the whole basket?

2. My cat has been collecting things around the neighborhood and decided to present it to me all at once.

3. Someone does not like my all black fashion choices and has gifted me a new wardrobe.

4. Someone is too lazy to wash their own clothes and hope I will wash them. (BIG NOPE)

5. I am now a FREE ELF!

6. Someone thinks I left these clothes in the laundry. (Too boring)

I would like to choose #5 please.

• Haha 7

This is probably a grumble more than a pet peeve, but I am peeved, and it's a familiar corporate annoyance, so there.  Tilia is verifying me, and taking its sweet time about it.  I've been in SL for 15 years and spent many thousands of pounds on and in it.  Is that not real enough?  I gave you the documents, Tilia, what more do you want?

Exit, pursued by a bear.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

This is probably a grumble more than a pet peeve, but I am peeved, and it's a familiar corporate annoyance, so there.  Tilia is verifying me, and taking its sweet time about it.  I've been in SL for 15 years and spent many thousands of pounds on and in it.  Is that not real enough?  I gave you the documents, Tilia, what more do you want?

Exit, pursued by a bear.

Your life history of course.  And  your first and  second child  for  collateral. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There was a time when I would have gladly given up my first born -- back in his teenage days.

Though I originally laughed at it.. that is not always a funny topic to anyone that actually had parents make that threat and even take them near the place they planned on leaving them at...

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Though I originally laughed at it.. that is not always a funny topic to anyone that actually had parents make that threat and even take them near the place they planned on leaving them at...

I also had an abusive upbringing and I hear you, but honestly, there really isn't a parent alive who hasn't made this joke at some point, usually long before the teen years. It was exactly what I thought when I first saw the feed line. Since March I've been hearing a lot of "if the scientists don't find a vaccine soon THE PARENTS WILL!!!!"

You obviously don't have to find it funny (though you say you did) but it really is that relatable a joke that I think they even made it in the film Hook. I've seen many friends putting their kids up for sale on Facebook, or in one memorable case, offering to pay for removal. Of all the things that will distress you (and as one child of abuse to another, I really do understand how many of those things there will be), try to let this particular one go. It is just too ubiquitous in the parenting experience. We love our kids really.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Your life history of course.  And  your first and  second child  for  collateral. 

Had you given any thought to what my experience is of having children?  No, because you're making a joke.  So why complain about someone making a joke about parents abandoning their child?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I also had an abusive upbringing and I hear you, but honestly, there really isn't a parent alive who hasn't made this joke at some point, usually long before the teen years. It was exactly what I thought when I first saw the feed line. Since March I've been hearing a lot of "if the scientists don't find a vaccine soon THE PARENTS WILL!!!!"

You obviously don't have to find it funny (though you say you did) but it really is that relatable a joke that I think they even made it in the film Hook. I've seen many friends putting their kids up for sale on Facebook, or in one memorable case, offering to pay for removal. Of all the things that will distress you (and as one child of abuse to another, I really do understand how many of those things there will be), try to let this particular one go. It is just too ubiquitous in the parenting experience. We love our kids really.

I know.  That is why I found it a little funny at first.  It wasn't until I compared it to my own past  that it struck me as also not funny or humorous  but can be hurtful even if wasn't intended to be so.

For me.. it wasn't a joke.. I was threatened and driven right by the place.. and sit there until they finally decided to drive away. 

At times I almost wish I had gotten out of the car  back then.  But was to scared to.. which they also knew and used against me. 

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I know.  That is why I found it a little funny at first.  It wasn't until I compared it to my own past  that it struck me as also not funny or humorous  but can be hurtful even if wasn't intended to be so.

For me.. it wasn't a joke.. I was threatened and driven right by the place.. and sit there until they finally decided to drive away. 

At times I almost wish I had gotten out of the car  back then.  But was to scared to.. which they also knew and used against me. 

I'm sorry to hear that. All I can say is, the joke is most certainly not about that. 

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Had you given any thought to what my experience is of having children?  No, because you're making a joke.  So why complain about someone making a joke about parents abandoning their child?

Because it is my right to express my feelings on the subject  regardless if you think so or not. 

No one has to just let anything slide by without saying anything about it. Or else this entire thread should not exist. 

Just as you just did.

2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm sorry to hear that. All I can say is, the joke is most certainly not about that. 

I know as it's meant to be harmless. But sometimes what is harmless to some is not to all. And  that is not always taken into consideration at the time of the post by everyone including me. 

That is why I did mention it was found funny at first until it triggered the memory. 

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Because it is my right to express my feelings on the subject  regardless if you think so or not. 

No one has to just let anything slide by without saying anything about it. Or else this entire thread should not exist. 

Just as you just did.

Right, so one rule for you and one for other people.   You want to get sympathy for something that someone else made a joke about but are completely callous about what effect you might be having.  

• Like 3

Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

Right, so one rule for you and one for other people.   You want to get sympathy for something that someone else made a joke about but are completely callous about what effect you might be having.  

Do not try to act like you are any better.  You're not. 

6 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Prove it.

You just did for me. Your superiority complex is very evident in how you reply to some people here. Your  attack at  me for what I said  because you didn't like it proves it. 

You can laugh all you want it doesn't change anything. 

You can try and twist my words against me and it further proves my point for me. 

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Haha 1

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I know as it's meant to be harmless. But sometimes what is harmless to some is not to all. And  that is not always taken into consideration at the time of the post by everyone including me. 

That is why I did mention it was found funny at first until it triggered the memory. 

All humour offends someone. A good survival strategy is to remember it's not about you (I mean that nicely) and also to look at the real target and function of the joke. In this case, it's funny precisely because we know the kids are certainly not going to be sold or abandoned and because literally all parents relate.

You're going to have to make peace with this particular joke because I'm a parent and I promise you it's not going anywhere. Parenthood is brutal like that. We love them more than life, though, the little sods.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

All humour offends someone. A good survival strategy is to remember it's not about you (I mean that nicely) and also to look at the real target and function of the joke. In this case, it's funny precisely because we know the kids are certainly not going to be sold or abandoned and because literally all parents relate.

You're going to have to make peace with this particular joke because I'm a parent and I promise you it's not going anywhere. Parenthood is brutal like that. We love them more than life, though, the little sods.

I know it was not directed at me personally.  But it still can  become triggering to some people not just  me. So shouldn't just be completely given a pass just  because.

Too many people want things to be passed over as harmless at times when they are not and should not be considered as so.

Some jokes are not jokes to  everyone.  Just  because someone says it's a joke  doesn't mean it is  or should or has to be seen as so by everyone. 

It's a joke don't take it seriously.. is not an excuse for what was said or done. 

38 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I know it was not directed at me personally.  But it still can  become triggering to some people not just  me. So shouldn't just be completely given a pass just  because.

Too many people want things to be passed over as harmless at times when they are not and should not be considered as so.

Some jokes are not jokes to  everyone.  Just  because someone says it's a joke  doesn't mean it is  or should or has to be seen as so by everyone. 

Astonishing, truly astonishing.  I'll say no more on this diversion from the topic as it's pointless to try.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Comma replacing erroneous full stop.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Astonishing. truly astonishing.  I'll say no more on this diversion from the topic as it's pointless to try.

You are the one who brought it up. 

Again tough that you don't like that I didn't stay 'strictly' to the topic just like how you acted in the other thread about  sl merch. 

You don't get to choose how I post. You're not my boss even then you would not have that right. 

Not even  my Master has that right. 

And you further proved my point for me. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.