Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

TLDR: There's no super nice way of putting "We live in a racist country where being a white person makes everything easier." You cannot coddle racist people into not being racist. Racist people just want everyone else to think they can be coddled into not being racist, not because they don't want to be racist but because they want some plausible deniability as to whether they are complete a***oles and because they like being coddled. Being coddled is the thing that reassures them that they still have hand.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

No one ever asks don't more First Nations post here, either. There are only 2 of us I know for sure, possibly a third and I'm not sure either one of the others is full blood FN. I'm not (or wasn't) the only full blood in SL, but we're pretty far and few between.

blood quotient requirements are destructive. They create false status within the tribe

we work on whakapapa (lineage). A person's right to stand and speak as a member of our hapu (by extension the tribe) then one or more of their forbears is a member of the tribe. People from other tribes marry in to our tribe: Ngati Whatua, Ngai Tahu, etc. We don't classify their children as non-full bloods. We extend this understanding to other tribes also like Samoan, Tongan, English, German, etc

because your Mum is from another tribe, doesn't make you somehow not quite one of us. You are one of us fully and forever

is sound natural reasons for this also. Keep marrying and breeding only with the cousins then the tribe degenerates biologically

a person's status in our tribe is measured by their mana. A person who is versed in the customs, practices and language of the tribe and gives back to the tribe has mana, regardless of the blood quotients flowing in their veins

blood quotients can be even more destructive as they are/were in the americas. Classified mulattos, quadroons, etc. In the blood purist white world, people so classified are/were seen as black-tainted impures. Conversely in the blood purist black world they are/where seen as white-tainted impures

the blood quotient concept is foreign to us as a tribe and as a people

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Believe me, it is. The people that should be watching it...won't. Judging from the things people are still posting, they've decided to outright refuse to look at anything that will challenge their beliefs.

I'm halfway through Spike Lee's new film, someone I said I'd never watch. Doing my bit for the cause!  🙂

1 hour ago, Janet Voxel said:

I've said it many times on this forum. Sometimes people just don't want to know about certain things, so they'll do anything in their power to actively ignore it. On this forum it comes in the form of belittling, passive-aggressive posts, sock puppet accounts, derailing topics they don't want to discuss. These things didn't just start happening, they've been happening the whole time.

Through all of this, nobody has asked "Why don't more black people post here?" They did say they want to hear from the black experience, but I can count the number of black posters here on one hand.

In my experience, most people whatever their colour, have no interest at all in ever joining forums, same reason they never read a "user manual" or go through a game "tutorial" unless it's mandatory. I sometimes watch Meela Vanderbilt on YouTube, a black girl RL and SL. She owns a popular (sex) club 'Monarchy' and runs a resort on a full sim....never seen her on here though! Some people just don't have the time, patience, or inclination to sit reading forums. 
At the end of the day it's a bit of a mystery, same as "Why are there no black Olympic gold medallist swimmers?" or "Why are there no black Formula 1 or Nascar World champions?" (Technically, 6 times F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton (mixed race) can be termed "black" (English btw! ) but I can't think of any other black person in any of those sports, never mind a gold medallist or world champion!). 

52 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

TLDR: There's no super nice way of putting "We live in a racist country where being a white person makes everything easier." You cannot coddle racist people into not being racist. Racist people just want everyone else to think they can be coddled into not being racist, not because they don't want to be racist but because they want some plausible deniability as to whether they are complete a***oles and because they like being coddled. Being coddled is the thing that reassures them that they still have hand.

That paragraph from the author was the best part of her post. She nailed it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I learned to new words today..Well really I thought of the first one and just looked it up on google to see if there actually was a word like it..

Urban dictionary for the win..hehehe

My Eracism sweatshrt says "There is only one race - the human race. Everything else is just culture".

If @Scylla Rhiadra ever comes back ask her.. I have been saying this for years. If we all thought this way maybe we could accomplish something. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I learned to new words today..Well really I thought of the first one and just looked it up on google to see if there actually was a word like it..

Urban dictionary for the win..hehehe

My Eracism sweatshrt says "There is only one race - the human race. Everything else is just culture".

The trouble is, if you say the word aloud it sounds as if you're talking about half of Reddit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

blood quotient requirements are destructive. They create false status within the tribe

we work on whakapapa (lineage). A person's right to stand and speak as a member of our hapu (by extension the tribe) then one or more of their forbears is a member of the tribe. People from other tribes marry in to our tribe: Ngati Whatua, Ngai Tahu, etc. We don't classify their children as non-full bloods. We extend this understanding to other tribes also like Samoan, Tongan, English, German, etc

because your Mum is from another tribe, doesn't make you somehow not quite one of us. You are one of us fully and forever

is sound natural reasons for this also. Keep marrying and breeding only with the cousins then the tribe degenerates biologically

a person's status in our tribe is measured by their mana. A person who is versed in the customs, practices and language of the tribe and gives back to the tribe has mana, regardless of the blood quotients flowing in their veins

blood quotients can be even more destructive as they are/were in the americas. Classified mulattos, quadroons, etc. In the blood purist white world, people so classified are/were seen as black-tainted impures. Conversely in the blood purist black world they are/where seen as white-tainted impures

the blood quotient concept is foreign to us as a tribe and as a people

I was not referring to mixed bloods. I was speaking solely of those who are intertribal. Like the Lakota-Choctaw family I am friends with. Thanks for bringing this up. I figured if I did I'd get punched for it. Most white folks are not 100% white. Some of them have Neanderthal "blood". I wonder, does that make them "less than human"?

Edited by Selene Gregoire

I was not referring to mixed bloods. I was speaking solely of those who are intertribal. Like the Lakota-Choctaw family I am friends with. Thanks for bringing this up. I figured if I did I'd get punched for it. Most white folks are not 100% white. Some of them have Neanderthal "blood". I wonder, does that make them "less than human"?

All ancient species of man migrated out of Africa.  As far as Neanderthal's and what are known as modern day humans, the two breed for awhile, but one became extinct while the humans survived.  All of us have Neanderthal DNA to an extent in us, including Native Americans.  So, maybe ask your ancestors that question as they may know more about the migration into the Americas.  

Edited by JanuarySwan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Believe me, it is. The people that should be watching it...won't. Judging from the things people are still posting, they've decided to outright refuse to look at anything that will challenge their beliefs.

Then perhaps there is a lesson there on how to drum up support for one's cause or rather, how not to. It really shouldn't be surprising that a blanket accusation of "white privilege" wasn't going to put a lot of white people on the defensive, especially when neither yourself nor the angry white SJW's doing most of the posting, have been able to really define what that actually looks like. Besides which, it really isn't what this is supposed to be about but rather the systematic and institutional racism that exists in the USA, Canada and other countries. Conflating that has made this thread a major derailment of what I assumed to be OP's initial intent.

I think the quote from an article says it better than I can:

...Consider the way that we now talk more about “white privilege” than about “racism”. The problem of racism is primarily social and structural – the laws, practices and institutions that maintain discrimination. The stress on “white privilege” turns a social issue into a matter of personal and group psychology.

Viewing white people – all white people – as “guilty and complicit” distorts political issues and deflects from real causes.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/14/white-privilege-is-a-lazy-distraction-leaving-racism-and-power-untouched

What is the long term goal here, to convince a few posters that they need to engage in some deep introspective work to see how lucky they are to be white or to call for and support changes to those areas where racism's effects really matter?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9796344

The point is you need to replace "them" with "me".  Log in the eye thing again or somefing   

Or else somefing like buzzed on somefing smokin' for example.  Strange posts on here.  Dam like somebodies been smokin' a weed maybe...I dunno.   

Edited by JanuarySwan
  • Like 1

Interesting study from UCLA during COVID-19 found that all our DNA is 99% alike.  The 1% DNA that makes us different determines how we look and our hereditary (pre-existing) conditions; some of which may determine our ability to survive.  What we all received, as modern humans, is a bit of Neanderthal's immune system which gives us some of our surviving edge.   IOW, Neanderthal DNA helps us survive especially in regards to our immune system.  

However, I don't know what you are asking exactly as Native Americans have Neanderthal DNA via traversing out of Eurasia.  

From current studies in 2020 from UCLA, Neanderthal DNA has helped our survival and not much more is known.  

• Like 2

I think some people need to take a step back and revaluate why they kneejerk react  to people bringing up the fact that they have prvilage and how it makes them not want to..

..support a perfectly logical thing as "no more senseless loss of life because of racism.

White prvilage doesn't mean you're not worry free. But it does mean that we also do  not experience these hardships as badly as our poc counterparts.

I am a trans, mentally ill, disabled poor person.  That's allot of disadvantages.  But I still benefit from being white in comparison to someone who has those same disadvantages but is darker skinned to boot.

I benifit even though I live in ireland because racism is a golbal issue. Can't escape it if you're black.

And I am constantly having to unlearn ingrained racism as every white/light skinned person does.

It's not calling  you, the invidual evil. It is merely stating a simple fact of life. The sooner us white folk aknowlege this. As well as listen to POC voices without throwing a tantrum. The better.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

^^^ THIS ^^^

Jimmy Kimmel summed it up well when he shared: "White privilege doesn’t mean your life hasn’t been hard. It just means the color of your skin isn’t one of the things that makes it harder."

https://ew.com/tv/jimmy-kimmel-white-privilege/

(Apologies if someone already posted this. I do try to keep up with this thread but I admit I have a lot of folks on ignore... though I don't think they'd be the ones who'd be sharing this particular link.)

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Jimmy Kimmel summed it up well when he shared: "White privilege doesn’t mean your life hasn’t been hard. It just means the color of your skin isn’t one of the things that makes it harder."

There was no privilege.  I'd call it white favoritism for a more exact term.  White favoritism given to us by scoundrels and thieves, and even criminals.

• Confused 2

Ya think? 9_9

Thanks. I really appreciate being treated as if I am uneducated.

Well, I was going to go with January's theory of smoking funny things maybe too.  lol

Anyhow, I thought someone else might find that interesting.  {Some} of our immune system comes from Neanderthal's.  

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

^^^ THIS ^^^

(Apologies if someone already posted this. I do try to keep up with this thread but I admit I have a lot of folks on ignore... though I don't think they'd be the ones who'd be sharing this particular link.)

I don't think I've ever since this principle more clearly and succinctly expressed. Not bad for a late night talk show host.

Thanks for this, Sylvia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't think I've ever since this principle more clearly and succinctly expressed. Not bad for a late night talk show host.

Thanks for this, Sylvia.

The late night folks have been doing a better job of explaining almost everything these days. Did you see John Oliver's latest?...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Ya think? 9_9

Thanks. I really appreciate being treated as if I am uneducated.

Then don't say ignorant stuff like "Most white folks are not 100% white. Some of them have Neanderthal blood." Fairre was 100% right to point out to you, that so do YOU. All people of Native American heritage retain Neanderthal DNA as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

If @Scylla Rhiadra ever comes back ask her.. I have been saying this for years. If we all thought this way maybe we could accomplish something. 

Science would suggest that this is so. "Race" is social construct, and a semantic convenience.

But society and culture are where we live. And the fact of the matter is that we don't all think this way.

Until such time as we do, "racism" isn't just a scientifically suspect term: it's a lived reality for hundreds of millions.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.