Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

33 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Calling me bitter is racist. I’m not some bitter black girl who doesn’t know about outside of the U.S. But, continue using straw man arguments to silence us. And, I’m also not racist and can’t be. I don’t benefit from a white supremacist system, but you do even in your own country. 

Ashlyn there are Black supremacists and not just in America.  You said yourself you used to be a Black militant so don't play that dumb.  However, there are problems with the police and that is what I wanted to focus on right now before more people get hurt...I wanted to know what the hell is going on with the police?  Why a man would be murdered in the street?  

However, yes you can be racist, Ashlyn.  So, it's not a strawman at all.   You either respect other people for the color of skin they were born with or you don't no matter what color of skin you have.

We were just born into this mess just like you.  Are there ways out?  I think so.  But, don't believe there are not Black supremacy groups because there are.

And, btw, how would you feel if this were Latino Lives Matter?  I think you'd be saying Black Lives Matter too.   

Black supremacy or black supremacism is a racial supremacist belief which maintains that black people are superior to people of other races. The term has been used by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), an American legal advocacy organization, to describe several fringe religious groups in the United States.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am curious to what everyone's definition of a racist is here? 

But, man you guys are throwing this word around like it is a football. As we speak even the freagen Webster dictionary is currently revising the definition of the word racist because it is very clear the definition has never been written to take into account things such as systematic racism . 

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/merriam-webster-to-update-definition-of-racism-after-missouri-woman-tells-them-its-inadequate/

(Link above explains what I am referencing to)

But the biggest thing here......anyone can be a racist and/or do racist things. 

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

The south however, had large plantations that they needed (or so they believed) the slaves to farm for little to no money so as they were able to continue running the farms (shocker - it is still the case today just ask your average fruit picker). This is why they fought in the war as they thought they needed the slaves to ensure that their businesses were economically viable. That is to say, their very livelihood was being threatened by the removal of the slave system. The North's proposal to remove slavery would have financially ruined every single person farm wise in the south (and in many cases did) as they had become so reliant on the slavery system that they feared it was impossible to live without it despite it being a bad/evil system. That was why they went to war. Was the act of slavery racist? Yes, as only POC were slaves (most white people at the time -and yes some still do - had a superiority complex) and were mistreated etc, however they most certainly didn't go to war because they were racist they went to war due to threat of livelihood.

owners of commercial enterprises always cry that the world as they know it is doomed when facing increased production costs

this is another case where it wasn't true. After the US Civil War without slaves and with free persons paid a federally mandated minimum wage of $10 a month and a 10 hour working day, cotton production increased in the South

a link to the history of cotton from the Mississippi State archives: http://mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/articles/291/cotton-and-the-civil-war

we can't use a fear of increased costs to get around the fact that the CSA used racism to justify keeping slaves. The leaders of the CSA  said unashamedly and with forthright conviction on many occasions, that the negro was a lesser being who's rightful place was in subservience to the white man

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Ashlyn there are Black supremacists and not just in America.  You said yourself you used to be a Black militant so don't play that dumb.  However, there are problems with the police and that is what I wanted to focus on right now before more people get hurt...I wanted to know what the hell is going on with the police?  Why a man would be murdered in the street?  

However, yes you can be racist, Ashlyn.  So, it's not a strawman at all.   You either respect other people for the color of skin they were born with or you don't no matter what color of skin you have.

We were just born into this mess just like you.  Are there ways out?  I think so.  But, don't believe there are not Black supremacy groups because there are.

And, btw, how would you feel if this were Latino Lives Matter?  I think you'd be saying Black Lives Matter too.   

Black supremacy or black supremacism is a racial supremacist belief which maintains that black people are superior to people of other races. The term has been used by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), an American legal advocacy organization, to describe several fringe religious groups in the United States.

But are we systemically oppressing people and benefiting off of a white supremacist infrastructure? Nope. I can’t be racist. But you are, though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

But are we systemically oppressing people and benefiting off of a white supremacist infrastructure?

Yeah I just don't think they understand what systemic racism is.  That's why I recommend this video:

27 minutes ago, lHorizonl said:

I am curious to what everyone's definition of a racist is here? 

But, man you guys are throwing this word around like it is a football. As we speak even the freagen Webster dictionary is currently revising the definition of the word racist because it is very clear the definition has never been written to take into account things such as systematic racism . 

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/merriam-webster-to-update-definition-of-racism-after-missouri-woman-tells-them-its-inadequate/

(Link above explains what I am referencing to)

But the biggest thing here......anyone can be a racist and/or do racist things. 

I don't believe we can defeat racism of one and not all.

As far as systemic racism from your article above, sounds like Nazi's especially to me, so I copy/pasted it below.

The courts now have Black and other POC judges and jurors.  However, Black and other POC judges can be just as corrupt.  Just because it's a Black judge or an Hispanic judge doesn't make them the Mr. Gummy Bear not corrupt judge.  

There is more than just white corruption in America though.  You cannot deny that.  It would be darn right delusion to deny.  Corruption from all skin tones exists in America.  

So, which doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism are you eluding to here?  As far as Nazi's, yes.  But, what else as it pertains to America since there are all skin tones of judges, mayors, city council members, senators, etc?  

“a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles” and “a political or social system founded on racism,” which would cover systematic racism and oppression.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

video

Just sitting watching Luna's video and wanted to write some thoughts about this as I went along and the lady made arguments about unconscious racism.

10:50 on 'Sketchy' neighborhoods. I don't think that this is true, at least in my lived experience I've felt unsafe around people of my own skin color plenty of times before, usually it occurs in neighborhoods that appear to be poorly looked after, dilapidated buildings, you can see it in peoples body language and how they dress. That feeling that an area is run down and it is worth while for the people on the street around you to mug you because they have nothing themselves.

11:30 on what makes a school good: I recall sitting with my parents and we would look at ofsted rankings of schools (IE, test results, how well people succeed). Likewise the same when picking a University, I do not recall picking a University because of race, but because it had the course I wanted to study, got good results, and it was somewhere by the sea.

15:30 onwards she makes the argument that we are stuck with racism because to be racist is to be a bad person, and thus everyone deflects being called a racist. Well, this is one thing I agree with her about, but then you have to realize that, if you want to de-stigmatize racism to have an open conversation about it, you can't have cancel culture, you can't have people going around and attacking any symbol that might be affiliated with racism, censoring art, tv shows etc. You can't have an open conversation if one side spends their time doing everything in their power to slight the personality of the other.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This video really helped me understand better what white privilege is, and what we can do about it:

I bet the racist forum members will listen to her because she’s white, but black people been saying the same thing and no one listens to what we have to say without passing it as being a black supremacist or saying well other lives matter blah blah blah.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ashlyn Voir said:

I bet the racist forum members will listen to her because she’s white, but black people been saying the same thing and no one listens to what we have to say without passing it as being a black supremacist or saying well other lives matter blah blah blah.

No doubt  :(  But that's why she's such an asset...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

15:30 onwards she makes the argument that we are stuck with racism because to be racist is to be a bad person, and thus everyone deflects being called a racist. Well, this is one thing I agree with her about, but then you have to realize that, if you want to de-stigmatize racism to have an open conversation about it, you can't have cancel culture, you can't have people going around and attacking any symbol that might be affiliated with racism, censoring art, tv shows etc. You can't have an open conversation if one side spends their time doing everything in their power to slight the personality of the other.

Translation: The White girl can't have anybody telling her she's doing anything wrong.  That's just too uncomfortable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't believe we can defeat racism of one and not all.

As far as systemic racism from you article above, sounds like Nazi's especially to me, so I copy/pasted it below.

The courts now have Black and other POC judges and jurors.  However, Black and other POC judges can be just as corrupt.  Just because it's a Black judge or an Hispanic judge doesn't make them the Mr. Gummy Bear not corrupt judge.  

There is more than just white corruption in America though.  You cannot deny that.  It would be darn right delusion to deny.  Corruption of all skin tones exists in America.  

So, which doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism are you eluding to here?  As far as Nazi's, yes.  But, what else as it pertains to America since there are all skin tones of judges, mayors, senators, etc.  

“a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles” and “a political or social system founded on racism,” which would cover systematic racism and oppression.

....i am confused to why you said this under my comment lol mainly because my opinion was that everyone can be racist and/or do racist things which I thinkkkkkk your trying to say here too?

Or are you responding mainly to what is in that link? If so i did not say I agreed with the link only that we all as a whole need to understand that to one the definition of what a racist is might actually be completely different for someone else, I pointed out Webster because it proves there isn't even a fully defined/written definition of it out there that everyone agrees on. . 

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Translation: The White girl can't have anybody telling her she's doing anything wrong.  That's just too uncomfortable.

Honestly, if I really felt that way, I wouldn't have bothered to watch the videos as I knew it would challenge my world view.

Here's something that resonated with me earlier today. Maybe you'd like to criticize his views?

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

A better response might be "Robert Harris of the Los Angeles Police Protective League says the LAPD will seek community involvement as they shift their goals and reallocate funds to better ways of serving and protecting the public."

Nevertheless, progress is progress.

i agree that would have been a better thing to say.  I am encouraged tho that some police unions are willing to have this conversation in public. And I agree that any progress is better than none

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lHorizonl said:

....i am confused to why you said this under my comment lol mainly because my opinion was that everyone can be racist and/or do racist things which I thinkkkkkk your trying to say here too?

Or are you responding mainly to what is in that link? If so i did not say I agreed with the link only that we all as a whole need to understand that to one the definition of what a racist is might actually be completely different for someone else, I pointed out Webster because it proves there isn't even a fully defined/written definition of it out there that everyone agrees on. . 

Oh, I see...thanks for the clarification.

But, these three definitions below sum it up best for me.  The second is really discussing the Nazi's as in America like I said before there are judges, jurors, city council members, mayor, senators, and even Generals of the United States Army are and have been people of color.   However, these threads get so many replies, I don't think anyone is really listening to much of what I write anyways.  It seems futile to discuss it for the most.  

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

But are we systemically oppressing people and benefiting off of a white supremacist infrastructure? Nope. I can’t be racist. But you are, though. 

I Googled White Supremacist Infrastructure and it's an anti-Trump campaign of some sort from what I just saw.  I see you have a Trump avatar here for your forum avatar.

So, this agenda, this white supremacist infrastructure, you believe is made up by Trump?

Could you enlighten us about that in particular?  Has he taken benefits or what exactly if this is Trump focused such as what is he doing or not doing?  

Can you explain in your own words how your life has changed under Trump?   And what you may believe whites are benefiting from under Trump?  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I Googled White Supremacist Infrastructure and it's an anti-Trump campaign of some sort from what I just saw.  I see you have a Trump avatar here for your forum avatar.

So, this agenda you believe is made up by Trump?

Could you enlighten us about that in particular?  Has he taken benefits or what exactly if this is Trump focused such as what is he doing or not doing?  

Can you explain in your own words how your life has changed upon Trump?   And what you may believe whites are benefiting from under Trump?  

Oh my goodness. No. That’s not the point. Jesus. It has nothing to do with Trump. It has nothing to do with just BLM or George Floyd or what have you. This goes way beyond that. Way beyond that.

When I say white supremacist infrastructure, I’m talking things like red lining. I’m talking things like FBI taking down the Black Panther party when the Ku Klux Klan still operates. I’m talking about why are there 36 active neo-Nazi groups in my home state. I’m talking why a young black person has a lower credit score than a white person even if they’ve done the same things. Or why realtors will work more with a poor white family than a black one. Or why a white school is funded better than the black one even though they are funded by the same people. Or why black babies were fed to alligators during slavery. Or why when ever I walk into a store I’m being watched constantly. Or why there are so many abortion clinics in black neighborhoods. Or how white supremacy broke the black family structure. Police brutality is just a legal way of basically a modern day lynching. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

However, I can't stop laughing at the arrogant notion of whats-his-face up there that Australia is a bastion of acceptance. Perhaps instead of this ridiculous insanity about... 

Ah Beth, knew you would hop on by and post something like usual without actually reading someone's post. Pray tell, where in my posts did I ever mention that Australia didn't have racial issues or is a bastion of acceptance? I never said any such thing. I did say however that we have progressed forward positively in tackling racism like other countries around the world far better than America. That is what Americans like you fail to understand. I even mention that I support helping Aboriginal or Minorities in removing racism or abuse directed at them.

... it might be nice to consider that maybe, just maybe, people of color in Australia don't feel quite as adamant as your white butt does that everything is just hunky-dory. 

Many of past protests or protestors have also been told by Aboriginal elders specifically to stop protesting as they don't want it, as it negatively impacts on the good they are trying to do in their own community but that falls on deaf ears. There are peaceful ways of doing things that are proven to work. Mabo is a great example and leader where he pursued and won in the high court land right changes. He as well as other elders etc, know that changes can only be made directly to the high court or government, however since around 2017 this has changed with the indoctrination of average Australian teens in thinking they know better.

Let me quote what Mabo's wife said in 2004, of which I struggle to think what she would think of what is happening now.

Do you think that recognition continues today or have indigenous issues fallen from the agenda in recent times?
No, I think it's still going today; people are going back to country and things like that. But on the other hand we're making it hard for ourselves because we need to all pull together and [not] see boundary lines, do like our ancestors did. They never saw boundary lines, they just cared and shared for country. We have to take that line too and not let boundary lines stop us from anything. That's really holding up the process.

What do you think is the way forward for black Australia?
We've got to reconcile with each other, black and white. But black people themselves have to clean up their own backyard, reconcile with each other. We've all got to get on an even keel. At least give them the time of day. Smile. I say a smile goes a long way.

I underlined the key points just to make it clear to you. You see, by not encompassing ALL races including whites like the BLM protests do and segregate one particular race out you draw boundary lines rather than as she said caring and sharing as a whole the country. She wanted inclusion of all sure however she also acknowledges just like the Aboriginal Elders do that they need to improve their own systemic issues to help move the process forward. No, those problems don't just come down to racism but the fundamental drug and alcohol issues that have effected them for decades which impact on the future health and prosperity.

No I'm not being racist in saying such things either. It is acknowledged by the aboriginal communities that those two things are a huge issue and they have been working with the government in ways to fix the issue by having their welfare payments exclude the ability to purchase such items.

I'm reading about the BLM protests that have happened throughout Australia. Thousands of people are not protesting due to the state of things in America. Y'all got your own racism (and homophobia) to deal with. You've caused your own issues.

No one denies that racism exists in Australia or any other country and despite other commenters in this thread suggesting I have, I haven't at all. That said we also don't believe (apart from a select few) that calling for the removal of statues of our first prime minister or Captain Cook will achieve anything and also shows the ignorance of the younger generation in suggesting such things or even their ignorance of Australian history in thinking Cook had anything to do with racism or killings towards natives of Australia. Why remove a statue of him when he wasn't negative at all in those ways. I do accept that he fired a shot wounding an native person as a reaction to having stones thrown at him, but he specifically states it wasn't his intention and shows he wanted to peacefully land his boat and say hello and give the gifts he was trying to give.

But what do I know, you seem to only listen to non whites perspective, so here is one https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-20/captain-cook-history-what-we-often-get-wrong/12042438

Notice how she and her community went out to find the truth and found out that Cook wasn't as she says "the boogyman" she was told. Also a lot also comes down to lack of education on the other side, hence why we learn about aboriginal culture in our school education. Education goes a long way in helping resolve situations like this and once that self education is made, healing can happen between all parties without any boundary lines.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

So, this agenda, this white supremacist infrastructure, you believe is made up by Trump?

I have been reading this thread, and reading White Fragility, and listening to many voices from our local protests.  I am a white American and have been wrestling with understanding these issues for decades.  I haven't been posting here, or anywhere, because I simply am not knowledgeable enough to contribute meaningfully.  But I can see how confusing this whole discussion must be if you've felt yourself to be outside of it until now, for whatever reason.  White supremacy predates Trump by centuries.  But this brief article is very clarifying about how it is being USED by Trump and others of his ilk.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/14/donald-trump-racism-american-oligarchy

Trump does not view himself as racist because for him racism is just a tool to use to exert power.  Ultimately, all forms of oppression are about power, not skin color or gender or class.

Oppressed people must pursue every avenue to slowly, slowly wrest power from those who hold an unearned dominion.  How long did it take white American women to get the vote?  It was, what, 80 years until black women also gained that right?

It is so uplifting to see people using the raw power of their bodies in the streets to change the balance of power, even if briefly.  Racism in America will not end, even if every police department is dramatically reformed.  But every step forward is important.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Oh my goodness. No. That’s not the point. Jesus. It has nothing to do with Trump. It has nothing to do with just BLM or George Floyd or what have you. This goes way beyond that. Way beyond that.

When I say white supremacist infrastructure, I’m talking things like red lining. I’m talking things like FBI taking down the Black Panther party when the Ku Klux Klan still operates. I’m talking about why are there 36 active neo-Nazi groups in my home state. I’m talking why a young black person has a lower credit score than a white person even if they’ve done the same things. Or why realtors will work more with a poor white family than a black one. Or why a white school is funded better than the black one even though they are funded by the same people. Or why black babies were fed to alligators during slavery. Or why when ever I walk into a store I’m being watched constantly. Or why there are so many abortion clinics in black neighborhoods. Or how white supremacy broke the black family structure. Police brutality is just a legal way of basically a modern day lynching. 

I didn't think that this white supremacist infrastructure happened only recently, but I suspected if you did, you might be very young.  As there is a picture showing Trump as a Fascist, etc and it was written in 2017.  But again, I thought you might be very young if you thought that.

But, white supremacist infrastructure did start a long, long time ago.

Redlining should and has improved in many states and it was pretty much abolished during the civil rights movement in the 1960's and thus there are many multi-ethnic communities that exist today because of those civil rights movements in the 1960's.  

With the creation of Fannie May and Freddie Mac as well, more and more minorities were able to get affordable home loans more than they had before which came later, perhaps in the 1980's?

As the rest of the things you bring up in your post, America is a diverse country.  There are a wide array of lifestyles to live here in America so I don't know where you live...but do you live in a predominantly Black neighborhood where there are a lot of abortion clinics or are you "just sayin"?  

Yes, there is white influenced monetary corruption in the justice and legal systems in America as well as corporate America but Blacks make up all classes now in America, that's why it's so difficult to stereotype what a Black person is today as Blacks hold many many different kinds of jobs including those in power.   

With most of the things you've stated,  aside from alligators how horrible, the things you are mentioning in your post are not as prevalent in multi-ethnic communities when you compare them to what is known as "the deep south" and/or "the Bible belt" in white conservative America.  

As far as racial profiling in stores, I don't know what to say.  Sounds sucky to say the least.  

As far as white supremacy breaking the black family structure, that sucks.  What happened there?  If you want to share it.  

Edited by FairreLilette

2 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I did a rudimentary internet search on the words racism and Australia, and surprise!  You do it too.  Perhaps not you personally but take a look at your statistics for deaths while in custody and sure enough, "It is evident in assumptions that Aboriginal people seeking medical assistance or who are held in custody are affected by drugs or alcohol, rather than seriously ill.  It is evident in laws and policies which apply to all people, but have specific and foresee-ably negative impacts on Indigenous people, such as public order offenses and restrictive bail laws."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/23/racism-pervades-australian-society-and-the-effects-can-be-lethal

How many times do I have to say it, no one is denying racism doesn't exist. Australians are well aware of the issues from that article and sympathise with them. We were all in uproar about the treatment of those in the Alice Springs correctional institute or the hotels. But you cant, as many in this thread have done, generalise the entire white race on the acts of a few misguided individuals or base your reasoning for it on an article that simply shows a problem but not the outcry of horror of it or the changes made after to help make those things not happen before.

Also, whilst the website is helpful and does show that non white Australians are hurt, killed or whatever in custody and is good to see, we already know that happens and it doesn't form any basis in saying it is due to racism as you claim. Read some of those that have died, some had prior medical issues or refused "western medical treatment", some were treated medically by medical staff, some were provided the same anti depressant drugs other inmates are given but still died by suicide. The thing with these websites is that the left claim that "oh look at how many have died in custody this proves white privilege or racism" and use such websites as a basis for their claims yet fail to find any other website that shows how many non-indigenous people die in custody. https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by Subject/1301.0~2012~Main Features~Deaths in custody~73 . Facts go a long way in showing that yes whilst Indigenous deaths in custody is a horrible thing and shouldn't happen they are not the majority by a long shot that you all over their in America, with your righteous attitude belittling other nations based on your countries experience, think they are. Any death in custody is a bad thing, but blatantly using skewed data to justify your cause only put a negative light on that cause due to bias.

Research properly before you come and accuse an entire populace or race as having the same issues America has racially or with its authority figures. 

Also over here, offices that have shot people are instantly charged with murder and put up for charges and face a court or if are investigated instantly for the discharge of a firearm. Does that happen in America instantly? No it takes weeks or months for that to happen. Just as it takes months for citizens over in the USA to be charged with murder like in Georgia if any form of racial bias was at play. Does your American government actively and instantly conduct Royal Commissions into issues facing non white Australians after things like the Alice Springs institute issue or hotel issue and then put in place laws or change laws or provide further assistance based on those commissions findings? No, your American government deliberately hide apologies to Native Americans as one line in an obscure law so that they can then say we did apologise but not to their face.

Notice in the article how the law about public drunkenness in Victoria was instantly changed after investigation of that particular issue. Yet America has seen hundreds of like issues against non-whites and done nothing to change those things. It literally took riots across your entire country to get council members to look at their police force or laws. Australia and other countries are pro-active in their response to these issues. Does this mean some issues don't slip through the cracks or mean that there aren't racist people in Australia. NO. But it does mean we are doing far more to help the situation than America and is why, we know that these protests just like climate change protests wont change a thing. What does change things are people, organisations or governments that actively investigate those issues to change for the better.

I have spent far to much time in this thread refuting based on facts that other countries pro-actively look at these issues on a regular basis only to be called incorrectly racist just because I am white, so like January I will be calling it a day and bowing out. I am all for open discussion however, when you're faced with people that are so closed minded to only their cause, their race or their country and don't look at facts as a whole it is a never ending battle that leads no where.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.