RAWr Creativity! Show your raw self(ies)!

Seicher Rae
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Strawberry Singh windlight, no editing besides cropping and a frame, bc I think his dignified look deserves a frame.

My alt took the LOGO offer of a 1 L head. And sneaky as I am, I had bought him the Rickard head skin from Stray Dog many weeks ago as a 60 L weekend offer. I think the Catwa skin sit well on this head. (BoM)

Maybe he get a body skin too, but for now is a neck fader to a freebie body skin.. Sometimes it is questions about older avatars that does not look 100 year old. This avatar look more 50 - 60 to me. Izzie's wrinkles makes the Rikard skin older, but straight from the box it isn't a twenty something either.

Edit: Added one more in No Light + projectors. It show the skin tone better as it appear in SL.

grey_002.jpg

grey_004.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If you want to tweak images after the shots are taken, there are many free packages you can use. They range of simple to near Photoshop complexity. See the Best free image editors of 2020.

Thank you for the link

I was aware of Gimp and Darktable (i remember when gimp refused to have a windows port) but being honest  i am not artistic enough to figure them out

• 2 weeks later...

Screengrabs while playing with a lighting setup. Snapshots, Polaroids or snipsh!ts, whatevs. Need to get the rim light positioned better in the first setup but I’m still working on it! Suggestions and helpful critiques are always welcome.

2BC193F6-0D1D-4EC6-8E49-FC14D19E1D65.thumb.png.2203dfa73f948de55e8086babd5f9a08.png61D4486A-E98B-4934-B19F-AF0DD1103E8F.thumb.jpeg.83390fc1c1774b84503777c9f7c685ca.jpeg

• Like 4

@Fauve Aeon Getting good rim-lighting in SL is a bit of PITA. I tend to add it in post. 

I've found that I can often get a better mask with the viewer's depth map. I can increase its contrast, use of max & min filters, or other techniques to eliminate the gray areas. 

Black Dragon's Poser locks the avatar in a pose. I can then get a set of color and depth images that are perfect matches.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Screengrabs while playing with a lighting setup. Snapshots, Polaroids or snipsh!ts, whatevs. Need to get the rim light positioned better in the first setup but I’m still working on it! Suggestions and helpful critiques are always welcome.

2BC193F6-0D1D-4EC6-8E49-FC14D19E1D65.thumb.png.2203dfa73f948de55e8086babd5f9a08.png61D4486A-E98B-4934-B19F-AF0DD1103E8F.thumb.jpeg.83390fc1c1774b84503777c9f7c685ca.jpeg

I use the Lumipro system for lighting at times.  It has a few preset rim lighting options as well as spotlight.  Color changing and a built in poser also.  You can also pass lights.to others for couple or group shots.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Now here is a question. What do we consider raw? I use Firestorm's built in filters sometimes. Is that raw or post processed?

I would consider using the viewer's built-in filters as raw, as they are things that are applied before capturing the scene with the viewer's snapshoot tool.  I would also include any of the lighting setups used in-world as raw also, because they all happen before the picture is saved.

I think of post-processing as something that is done to the digital image, using other software, after it was initially captured and saved.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Now here is a question. What do we consider raw? I use Firestorm's built in filters sometimes. Is that raw or post processed?

Depends on who you ask. Technically, there's no difference in using the post processing in BDW, or the snapshot filters in the FS camera, or using Gimp/PS to add filters. But because some people have an inherent need to 'stand out', and have formed a hive minded delusion that they're somehow 'better' because they don't understand such things, people will often do highly processed shots in BDW and claim it's 'raw'.

To someone who doesn't know how to use a photo editing program, it must appear like witchcraft - and sure, some SL photography is post-processed to a point where it's very clear that it isn't a regular/natural snapshot; but there's plenty of people who use the programs just to fix things that SL usually can't, like, neck seams - who you couldn't tell were edited if it weren't pointed out to you. But since they're ignorant puritans who fear anything that's beyond their comprehension, anything beyond adding a signature to the shot is suspicious. Even that appears to be corrupted, to some.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your feedback @Nalates Urriahand @RowanMinx. I’m using my self-made projectors to see how far I can get with them as my start point. 

As far as Raw shots, I think I consider using lights, projector lights, windlight/eep and anything ambient within the world and the settings for those as ‘fair game’ but not the viewer photo filters. If you allow for filtering, what about HUDs?

I have a photo HUD from AM Radio that adds an overlay of noise, a vignette, even a couple of frames. 😉 

That’s just me though, I’m sure different people define it differently and I know I just like learning about the things so I just want to know *what* someone uses. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.