RAWr Creativity! Show your raw self(ies)!

Seicher Rae
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/10/2020 at 9:20 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, the final version of this has already been posted on the "How does your avatar look" thread, but I want to help get this rolling, so I'll post before and after shots here.

Ordinarily, when I am using Black Dragon (which I almost always do use now), I need to do very little post-processing. Generally, I'll crop and fix any clipping or rendering problems, and that's all that's needed. Occasionally I'll adjust the brightness and contrast a bit.

In this particular instance, however, I decided to take the pic in a radically new direction, so this one has a lot of processing: brightness and contrast, colour curves, saturation, levels, and photo filters. I'm far from sure that I shouldn't have stuck with the original, to be honest, but I decided I wanted a "day time" rather than a twilight shot.

So, here's the "before":

Georgic-3-Before-Blank.thumb.jpg.f31ec92134561eb3feef1fdd5c1b30f8.jpg

And here's the "after," which is the one I eventually posted:

Georgic-3-After-Blank.thumb.jpg.cdc199e63d542b2c7c5409dd2a932b5a.jpg

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on which I should have gone with.

I think somewhere in between the two. I love the mood your first one sets, but I find it a bit flat.The vegetation looks to me as if it's at the same depth as the building. It's better in the second for sure. I would have tried to add some vegetation closer to the camera to establish the foreground better, but that's just conjecture as to whether it would have worked or not. To me this image can be interpreted in many ways. From despair to horror. And that's what makes it interesting. It makes us think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I think somewhere in between the two. I love the mood your first one sets, but I find it a bit flat.The vegetation looks to me as if it's at the same depth as the building. It's better in the second for sure. I would have tried to add some vegetation closer to the camera to establish the foreground better, but that's just conjecture as to whether it would have worked or not. To me this image can be interpreted in many ways. From despair to horror. And that's what makes it interesting. It makes us think.

Good ideas, these, Pearl. I hadn't thought about the vegetation being flattened so much in the darker shot, but I think you're right.

This was part of a series of farming shots I did . . . I think, in that context, it's probably closer to despair than horror, but mostly it's supposed to be about the struggle of working with the earth. That said, different contexts, different meanings!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Good ideas, these, Pearl. I hadn't thought about the vegetation being flattened so much in the darker shot, but I think you're right.

This was part of a series of farming shots I did . . . I think, in that context, it's probably closer to despair than horror, but mostly it's supposed to be about the struggle of working with the earth. That said, different contexts, different meanings!

Thanks!  In context, I totally see despair and struggle. Out of context it could be a serial killer returning to where she stores the bodies. Or returning to torture a victim she has inside. I wish you would work on this one again from scratch, but just by making adjustments, and not changing the actual camera angle or contents. It's what we don't know that makes it so scary!!!

4 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Out of context it could be a serial killer returning to where she stores the bodies. Or returning to torture a victim she has inside.

Lol! And ACK!

I've missed out on my career as the director of teen slash flicks!

Interesting ideas, but probably beyond my expertise, Pearl!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Lol! And ACK!

I've missed out on my career as the director of teen slash flicks!

Interesting ideas, but probably beyond my expertise, Pearl!

Lol, I wouldn't want to see the gory details though!!!I find the suggestion of horror much more frightening, and not revolting!!!

P.S.: I would love to see more of your pics!!!

Edited by Bagnu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh hai. I haven't posted anything here in quite a while , I've barely been posting to Flickr. But this thread came up as a topic elsewhere, so I thought I'd revisit. :)

So this is Seicher tonight. I often say that she sometimes reflects my RL mood. I'll just leave it there. :) This is a screenshot in Black Dragon.

091520PSYCHOBARBIE_001.png

• Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.