Unpopular opinions

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Quick unpopular opinion before the lock : SL is a game (yeah I said it...come at me brah) 😅

Very popular opinion: "brah" is a horrific perversion of English and those who use it should be whipped, tarred, feathered, and THEN drawn and quartered!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

For people's weights, yes, a fair number of us do. A lot of people can do it in kilos and that's probably more popular, but I find stones easier. When Americans tell me a person's weight, I have to mentally divide it by 14 to get an idea of what they mean. I find imperial measurements much easier to visualise, even though I know metric is a lot simpler. I'm not much good with kilometres either. When I was a child, my mother told me that the distance to our church was a mile, and that's the yardstick I've used ever since.

Derek is by far the most popular RL name for all Goreans, especially the kajagoogoos, but to be fair, a decent number of them are called Clive or Humphrey. Their Glorious Leader thinks Doreen and Beverley are sexy names, so actually it's an improvement. I live in hope that one day, one of them really will invent a truly By The Book sim with demonstrably reduced gravity as it's supposed to be, so they all bounce around like crap space hoppers while suffering from muscle wastage and nausea. Which, ironically, is what they spend their RL time doing.

Sorry to quote you twice on this...

But, OMFG!

I have an uncle...

Who has a sister named "Beverly" and a daughter named "Doreen"

And he's about the right age to be John Norman...

Please, God, let me be adopted!

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

If you don’t like a product, don’t buy it. Or buy it and leave a review. But don’t use this forum to smear a creator.

It depends, if the forum moderators hadn't turned a blind eye to the threads about Darkmoon Creations when the owner vanished and their shops were selling empty boxes there would have been many more people 10s of thousands of Lindens out than there were.

It still baffles me the Linden's took so long to do anything about it. The intan owner was going spare dealing with complaints from people thinking they were still an official reseller and that they were in anyway responsible.

I'm just going to say this: please just drop it. I didn't want to start a argument over stuff, this is a unpopular opinions thread, not a argument thread. Please don't make me the reason this thread gets locked.

I know this sounds like a minimod response but I can't help but feel responsible for causing the argument and I don't want to cause issues on the forum.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

12 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

I'm just going to say this: please just drop it. I didn't want to start a argument over stuff, this is a unpopular opinions thread, not a argument thread. Please don't make me the reason this thread gets locked.

I know this sounds like a minimod response but I can't help but feel responsible for causing the argument and I don't want to cause issues on the forum.

If you don't report it, like you did a previous thread that had come around to being pretty sane, then it most likely won't get locked.

You always have the choice just to close this thread and go to another you know..

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Quick unpopular opinion before the lock : SL is a game (yeah I said it...come at me brah) 😅

hee hee I have always called SL a game.

Also.....................I hate shoes and everyone should have to run around SL in barefeet!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

You Brits still use "stone"?  And, is Derek a popular name for women there?  Or for truckers?

image.png.cd04915ec4bb122171a82f4ea8ca5200.png

I have seen this meme making the rounds lately.  As both an engineer and scientist, I dislike it intensely.  First of all, it contains a logical fallacy, "false cause".  The measurement system used has no bearing on whether or not one can carry out a successful large scale engineering enterprise.  And it's not even internally consistent; England, another holdout against the metric system, has not landed on the moon.

Second, many of the scientists in NASA did (and do) use the metric system.  Certainly my college physics classes used it.  Most astrophysicists and astronomers use it.  As a student, I used metric whenever I possibly could.  It is a much more rational and easy to use system.  No engineer of my acquaintance actually likes the English system, or has been heard to utter nonsense like "real men don't use metric."  We all learned metric and love it, and only use English units when we have to...for example, to enable the use of standard components in the parts catalogs.

If NASA had used the metric system throughout, we'd still have landed on the moon...but probably two years sooner and ten billion dollars cheaper.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I know no one has hated on furries in this thread (which is good! Let's keep it that way!) -- but sometimes liking furries can seem an "unpopular opinion."

Here, for the haters, is another reason to like furries:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/21/us/furries-furcon-stop-domestic-violent-assault-trnd/index.html

• Like 2

The Metric Conversion Act didn't come into play until after 1975 (it was signed by Ford on December 23, 1975). That is 2 years before I graduated from high school. They didn't even start teaching metric in the schools I attended until it was far too late for me to convert. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/02/03/archives/schools-are-urged-to-convert-to-metrics-used-in-most-countries.html

Note the article is dated February 3, 1974.

ETA: Also, there's an awful lot of mile markers on highways that would have to be changed. Who's gonna pay for that? Not me.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If NASA had used the metric system throughout, we'd still have landed on the moon...but probably two years sooner and ten billion dollars cheaper.

Canada officially began to go metric about the time I was born. Mercifully, this meant that I was largely taught the metric system in school, and have used it almost exclusively my entire life.

The sole practical exception, for me anyway, is recipes. A great many of these -- mostly, I assume, ones that are American or British -- still use things like pounds, ounces (my god, I find ounces confusing: do you mean volume or weight????? FFS, seriously . . .), tablespoons and teaspoons. And every time I find myself having to use the old Imperial system, I thank the gods (and the French Revolution) for metric.

(BTW, I am pretty sure that Tolya wasn't being very serious. But hey, who knows? He's weird, right?)

Ok, usually I don't need a special thread to spout unpopular opinions, but here's mine.

I have decided to refuse to buy from clothing creators who create "exclusively" for [make redacted, but it's the most popular woman's mesh body out there].

I can actually usually wear, and sometime do, clothing that is rigged for [that mesh body]: with a bit of tinkering and some imaginative accessorizing, I can generally make it work on my body, which is a different make.

But I refuse to support the efforts of those who, for whatever reason, have decided to contribute to enabling and reinforcing what is fast becoming a near-monopoly for one particular make of mesh body.

Yes, I know: "free market system!" blah blah blah "their company, their choice!" blah blah blah "people just happen to love that body" blah blah blah.

Yeah, well, you know what? Don't care. My money, my choice. And a monopoly over women's mesh bodies is bad for the platform, it's bad for women, and, ironically, it's actually bad for clothing creators.

So there. Have at me!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, usually I don't need a special thread to spout unpopular opinions, but here's mine.

I have decided to refuse to buy from clothing creators who create "exclusively" for [make redacted, but it's the most popular woman's mesh body out there].

I can actually usually wear, and sometime do, clothing that is rigged for [that mesh body]: with a bit of tinkering and some imaginative accessorizing, I can generally make it work on my body, which is a different make.

But I refuse to support the efforts of those who, for whatever reason, have decided to contribute to enabling and reinforcing what is fast becoming a near-monopoly for one particular make of mesh body.

Yes, I know: "free market system!" blah blah blah "their company, their choice!" blah blah blah "people just happen to love that body" blah blah blah.

Yeah, well, you know what? Don't care. My money, my choice. And a monopoly over women's mesh bodies is bad for the platform, it's bad for women, and, ironically, it's actually bad for clothing creators.

So there. Have at me!

Blah blah.

i know nothing about mesh bodies except that LL screwed up when they introduced mesh and did not realize people would make mesh clothing and bodies, so there was no standard size of anything. Clothing makers’ nightmare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

Blah blah.

i know nothing about mesh bodies except that LL screwed up when they introduced mesh and did not realize people would make mesh clothing and bodies, so there was no standard size of anything. Clothing makers’ nightmare.

Yes! And of course, that's the origin of this problem in the first place: a lack of standardization for things like rigging.

I'm hoping that BOM will address at least part of this problem: now that we can start using easily-produced alpha layers again, instead of relying upon alpha cuts in mesh body HUDs, it will become at least somewhat easier to fit clothing to bodies for which it was not made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.