Unpopular opinions

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The 'General' part of the forum should be viewable only to logged in accounts, like the 'Games' section (not sure if that was cyb reasons). The vanity bits, answers, creation etc show the platform off, in a normally pretty good way. Recent sniper fests in General do not. (I was around for the Great Big Lobby to keep General days so won´t advocate for its total demise :) )

Anyone equating the non existing 'SL Kommunity' to 'the tiny minority of us users who frequent the forum' should be thrown out of the brownies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

The 'General' part of the forum should be viewable only to logged in accounts, like the 'Games' section (not sure if that was cyb reasons). The vanity bits, answers, creation etc show the platform off, in a normally pretty good way. Recent sniper fests in General do not.

This is a surprisingly good idea.

19 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

I was around for the Great Big Lobby to keep General days so won´t advocate for its total demise :)

Ok, I'll just put the tar and feathers away then, shall I?

20 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Anyone equating the non existing 'SL Kommunity' to 'the tiny minority of us users who frequent the forum' should be thrown out of the brownies.

Fairly said. Does anyone actually suggest this, though?

17 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Here's my unpopular opinion. Why do people get uptight about what others do? It doesn't bother me at all what or why or how anyone else spends time either here in the forums or in world.

Since no one else answered this in regards to all the game threads, I will. 

No, I don't like the game threads. They just aren't my thing but I understand that a lot of other people really have fun with them, and I'm not in the slightest bit uptight about that. 

When I'm on the forums, I use the "next unread topic" to move through the topics in the forums I do enjoy. That is this one and the Linden Homes thread, thought that one has gone downhill for me recently and I only check it a couple times a day. I will occasionally peek at other forums, maybe even post in them, but for the most part they aren't of interest to me. 

It's a pet peeve of mine that I have to scroll through the game threads, and I think that they should be in their own separate area of the forum, but I understand that it is my pet peeve and that it doesn't bother most other people so I don't make a stink about it. 

I wish their was a way to ignore or block individual topics or threads instead of just users. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

It's a pet peeve of mine that I have to scroll through the game threads, and I think that they should be in their own separate area of the forum, but I understand that it is my pet peeve and that it doesn't bother most other people so I don't make a stink about it. 

I wish their was a way to ignore or block individual topics or threads instead of just users. 

I agree with this. (Does agreeing mean its not an unpopular opinion)  Even with my own personal feed set for the forums I want to see and the occasional play of the games, I wish they were in their own forum so I could remove it/them from what I choose to read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Snobbery is rampant in SL.  To many new avatards are banned from regions because they are not a certain days old, I had an alt banned (er ejected) because she was not 90 days old from a popular FP seller, When asked about it I was told about to much copy botting going on... but  I responded I could buy her stuffs on MP without a problem??...So, serious start up avatards are being banned across regions because of there age. ( I needed a new alt because I lost control of my inventory) I had a friend (yes a real one not an alt) join recently and every where he went he was ejected for being under a certain age. He since decided not to bother... I think this is complete snob-bob-ery.  I was also banned from a certain venue because I wore a kittycats in their region and they told me I had to take it off because it too up to many scripts. I told them to read up on it because it really is not that bad.. And I was ejected and banned. When I returned with my alt, I noticed a few kittycats running around the place.. the place.. The DIrty Grind. Have not been to that place since, apparently I am perma-banned all because I wore a kittycats to their venue and I told them they should read up on it before they accuse me of trying to crash their region.... there I said it. SNOBBERY.  Also, Trump sux.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
it pisses me off that how many years I been in SL, I am only banned from one place EVER. Cause I am a ray of *****ing sunshine dammit.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Isn't it obvious?  All those labor hours wasted in conversions!

Pffft if they did everything in US standard measurements, nothing would have needed to be converted.  I'm betting most US engineers in the early-mid 60's were less conversant with metric than standard anyway, as their work would mostly have been done assuming US sourcing and US markets.  Using metric parts and specs likely would have cost more because of US sourcing. Even today, the US air force and navy (and their NATO counterparts) make heavy use of many standard measures (probably because the US and British navies have dominated the sea for a couple centuries, they made everyone else change), although the army switched to klicks in WW1, (most likely because French artillery and US ground troops using different measures would no doubt have led to "explosive" consequences).  .  All in all, it seems unlikely that it mattered one way or another for the moon landing.

'Murica - we succeed despite abject stupidity.

2 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Pffft if they did everything in US standard measurements, nothing would have needed to be converted.  I'm betting most US engineers in the early-mid 60's were less conversant with metric than standard anyway, as their work would mostly have been done assuming US sourcing and US markets. 

The engineers, yes.  But the scientists all used metric!  I bet they had to have translators in the staff meetings.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

new alt because I lost control of my inventory) I had a friend (yes a real one not an alt) join recently and every where he went he was ejected for being under a certain age. He since decided not to bother... I think this is complete snob-bob-ery.  I was also banned from a certain venue because I wore a kittycats in their region

You relate the various reasons places give for banning, but then attribute the bans to snobbery. I don’t think it means what you think it does. 

• Like 1

School is a jungle. Surviving is a challenge, and as one of the smallest kids in the class, it takes cunning.

I wonder how many kids really feel they fit in. The thinkers never do, and I was lost in school pretty much all the way through, but I managed to stay invisible most of the time. 

I didn't fit in then, and have never really fitted in anywhere. /me shrugs. Only child syndrome I guess, and not many friends, which suited me just fine.

• Like 5

Just now, BelindaN said:

School is a jungle. Surviving is a challenge, and as one of the smallest kids in the class, it takes cunning.

I wonder how many kids really feel they fit in. The thinkers never do, and I was lost in school pretty much all the way through, but I managed to stay invisible most of the time. 

I didn't fit in then, and have never really fitted in anywhere. /me shrugs. Only child syndrome I guess, and not many friends, which suited me just fine.

I share much of your experience but I wasn't an only child; my siblings excluded me so perhaps that had the same effect.  I have no idea how many kids feel that they fit in but I'd guess that most do, on account of being 'average' and being able to stand together against those weird clever ones.  That leads to an unpopular opinion of mine - that I don't tend to react in the expected way to kids' cuteness, because I remember all those instances of pain, and I see right through them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Snobbery is rampant in SL.  To many new avatards are banned from regions because they are not a certain days old, I had an alt banned (er ejected) because she was not 90 days old from a popular FP seller, When asked about it I was told about to much copy botting going on... but  I responded I could buy her stuffs on MP without a problem??...So, serious start up avatards are being banned across regions because of there age. ( I needed a new alt because I lost control of my inventory) I had a friend (yes a real one not an alt) join recently and every where he went he was ejected for being under a certain age. He since decided not to bother... I think this is complete snob-bob-ery.  I was also banned from a certain venue because I wore a kittycats in their region and they told me I had to take it off because it too up to many scripts. I told them to read up on it because it really is not that bad.. And I was ejected and banned. When I returned with my alt, I noticed a few kittycats running around the place.. the place.. The DIrty Grind. Have not been to that place since, apparently I am perma-banned all because I wore a kittycats to their venue and I told them they should read up on it before they accuse me of trying to crash their region.... there I said it. SNOBBERY.  Also, Trump sux.

I hear ya.  When I created my new main, I decided to upgrade all my "toys", since my old stuff was mostly old and copy/no trans.  So I went to MP and found some stuff that looked good.  I went to their inworld store and started checking it out.  I was close to getting to my first purchase there and the owner IMs me with some maundering about alts, new avatars, griefers, etc.  I tried to explain that I was getting ready to buy and he gets even more asinine and bans me.  So, I took a very large amount of business elsewhere and certainly won't buy from him, ever.

I had an issue for a bit with griefers and trolls at my place, so we set up an age banner orb.  Turned out to be more trouble than it was worth, because everyone know someone new and wanted my to let them in anyway, and we tried to be accommodating, so I got rid of it after like 2 weeks.  Instead, when someone comes by that we don't know, we look at their profile and, if it's new and blank, and especially if they are noob avatars, we keep an eye on them in case they are throwaway alts for griefers. 

Anyway, I don't think it's so much snobbery as people who are too lazy to actively and professionally manage their sims/parcels.

Also, I bet Melania sux more 😛

7 hours ago, rasterscan said:

NUUUUU. Your right again. Still, proves my point. I'll log off and go visit the Shelter then, the post count can go back to growing slowly. Grrrr.

But... you were doing so well.

Oh. Right. When I went to bed, everyone else was already asleep so there wasn't any one left to talk with.

*sorrowful puppy eyes* confusedcat.gif.35441d7da8d231705341cabd79f211ad.gif

22 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I was one of the "thinkers".  6' tall as a freshman, 125 pounds soaking wet, and not a lick of athletic ability.  I got picked on for the first semester.  Then I started helping a big guy named Jim with his homework.  A week later, someone was picking on me, so Jim stuffed him in a locker and spun the dial.  Jim got a 3 day vacation from school, I never got picked on again, and we were both just fine with that.

I must say, it was a shock for everyone when Jim brought his boyfriend to the 10 year class reunion.

• Like 3

Brief poll - Raise your hand if you feel like you fit in!

I've never really felt like I fit in anywhere as well. A lot of us don't feel like we fit in anywhere so that leads me to wonder who actually does feel like they fit in, and what does that feel like? 

Also, though, I understand why children want to fit in when they are children, because children are cruel AF, especially girl children. But as an adult? Nah... I'd much rather be the odd one out than be "normal", whatever normal is. It would suck to have missed out on all the weirdness in my life because I was normal and didn't flock to the other outcasts and freaks. 

Us weirdos are awesome!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

There is. Just have to convince LL to enable that feature. All forum software has that feature. ALL. Unless you're fool enough to purchase a software package that charges extra for features that are normally part of the whole package and not a separately charged item.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

What is it called when that happens and you are not an only child but might as well have been?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.