Unpopular opinions

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Brief poll - Raise your hand if you feel like you fit in!

I've never really felt like I fit in anywhere as well. A lot of us don't feel like we fit in anywhere so that leads me to wonder who actually does feel like they fit in, and what does that feel like? 

Also, though, I understand why children want to fit in when they are children, because children are cruel AF, especially girl children. But as an adult? Nah... I'd much rather be the odd one out than be "normal", whatever normal is. It would suck to have missed out on all the weirdness in my life because I was normal and didn't flock to the other outcasts and freaks. 

Us weirdos are awesome!

*raises both hands*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What is it called when that happens and you are not an only child but might as well have been?

For me it's called being the baby. I'm the youngest of 8, and 1 of only 2 girls (and my sister is 18 years older than me) and I came along years after all the others. 

People often wonder how my childhood could have been lonely with 7 siblings... lol. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

For me it's called being the baby. I'm the youngest of 8, and 1 of only 2 girls (and my sister is 18 years older than me) and I came along years after all the others. 

People often wonder how my childhood could have been lonely with 7 siblings... lol. 

Youngest living of 5, only surviving girl, no other girls in the neighborhood, so, yeah. Problem is for every family that has at least two children there is always one "baby of the family". So that really doesn't describe the situation. 

People just don't stop to think how easy it is to be alone in a crowd. Mostly because they likely never experienced it so can't understand it.

Oh and I don't have to peek anymore. ;) 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Another runaway snowball down the hill, and I only just caught up with it.

Wow....I never thought the word games would see the pitchforks and flaming torches on the streets!

Neither I nor anyone else said they're a bad thing. Just that perhaps they should be moved to their own forum sub section as more and more games are added. Before long, we'll end up with the front page of GD dominated by the games.

And neither did I say hunting for postcounts/reputations is bad ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Time to win the thread..

Vote Trump 2020

hehehehe

Be careful how you say that.  Polls already show more Americans identify with Trump than with any of the Democrats (26% say Bernie thinks more like them, 37% say Trump does, and they are the two leaders in one recent survey), while the "average GOP congressman" beats the "average Dem congressman"  by an even larger margin, 41% to 24%.  The "right track/wrong track" numbers (one of the best predictors of how voters will vote for President) are the best of his presidency, and are up sharply over the last 3 months, despite the impeachment parade.  He's not very popular, but the Dem front runners are making themselves less appealing to voters than HRC was, and the party as a whole is losing appeal with independents.  Trump has even eaten away at the Dem lead among African Americans; although he's only at 15% there, that's up from 6% in the 2016 election, an amount that would have evened up the popular vote nationwide.

There is a reason the Dems are so desperate to impeach Trump that they shot themselves in the foot by trying to do it on the quick.  If the economy keeps doing well, and most Americans tend to vote with their financial security, 2020 could become a route for Dems, and Chuck and Nancy know it.  If the impeachment backfires on them the way it did the Republicans in 1998, the day after the election will not be pretty for the Dems.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What is it called when that happens and you are not an only child but might as well have been?

Well......I blamed it on that, but maybe there's more to it.

I've always resented male authority  and put that down to my arrogant self centred father who departed when I was three. Growing up in a world without boys certainly made it tough trying to understand how they think. The fact that my mother had a string of men friends didn't help, because I never liked any of them.

I'm still lost in that whirlpool of wanting to understand me better, but not really getting any closer to what made me who I am.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've never really felt like I fit in anywhere as well. A lot of us don't feel like we fit in anywhere so that leads me to wonder who actually does feel like they fit in, and what does that feel like? 

Also, though, I understand why children want to fit in when they are children, because children are cruel AF, especially girl children. But as an adult? Nah... I'd much rather be the odd one out than be "normal", whatever normal is. It would suck to have missed out on all the weirdness in my life because I was normal and didn't flock to the other outcasts and freaks. 

Us weirdos are awesome!

I think in general SL appeals to social misfits or those who are (often due to illness , etc.) shut in from the world than it does to those with terribly active social lives in RL.  I know I fit this category.  Personally, in RL, I disdain humans in general, don't like noisy settings unless I am with one or two close people I can focus in on, and detest going to large group gatherings.  I'd much rather be in a place like SL where my future income doesn't require me to put on a facade than, say, a company holiday party in RL, even if the wine is free and the food top notch.

I've generally found that the extroverts flock to be part of the mob because they know their mediocrity and lack of interesting attributes is far easier to hide when they are just one zebra in the herd, rather than one of the lions or leopards.

So, by all means, cheers to us weirdos!  But, alas, since I think your opinion is popular, you lose the thread,

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

School is a jungle. Surviving is a challenge, and as one of the smallest kids in the class, it takes cunning.

I wonder how many kids really feel they fit in. The thinkers never do, and I was lost in school pretty much all the way through, but I managed to stay invisible most of the time. 

I didn't fit in then, and have never really fitted in anywhere. /me shrugs. Only child syndrome I guess, and not many friends, which suited me just fine.

SL is The Island of Misfit Toys.

Others need not apply. 

ETA Tolya beat me to it.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Well......I blamed it on that, but maybe there's more to it.

I've always resented male authority  and put that down to my arrogant self centred father who departed when I was three. Growing up in a world without boys certainly made it tough trying to understand how they think. The fact that my mother had a string of men friends didn't help, because I never liked any of them.

I'm still lost in that whirlpool of wanting to understand me better, but not really getting any closer to what made me who I am.

It's not just father and son. The lyrics describe me as perfectly as if Yusuf (Cat Stevens) had known me as I was growing up.

Dammit. Even after all these years there is something in my eyes after listening.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

3 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

SL is The Island of Misfit Toys.

Others need not apply. 

ETA Tolya beat me to it.

But you put it far more succinctly.  When I am Emperor of Earth, I will have one highly favored servant whose only job will be to stand behind me, watch me type, and whack me on the head when I drone on.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I think in general SL appeals to social misfits or those who are (often due to illness , etc.) shut in from the world than it does to those with terribly active social lives in RL.  I know I fit this category.  Personally, in RL, I disdain humans in general, don't like noisy settings unless I am with one or two close people I can focus in on, and detest going to large group gatherings.  I'd much rather be in a place like SL where my future income doesn't require me to put on a facade than, say, a company holiday party in RL, even if the wine is free and the food top notch.

I've generally found that the extroverts flock to be part of the mob because they know their mediocrity and lack of interesting attributes is far easier to hide when they are just one zebra in the herd, rather than one of the lions or leopards.

So, by all means, cheers to us weirdos!  But, alas, since I think your opinion is popular, you lose the thread,

I avoid crowds in RL

I dislike shopping malls, pubs, festivals, concerts, cinema. I much prefer a quiet chat in a coffee shop with good friends.

On vacation I will go to places where I might see a dozen people all day. Usually a wilderness somewhere....

I avoid crowds in SL because of the lag.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Us weirdos are awesome!

I’m probably the odd one out, but I’ve pretty much fit in anywhere I go.

The closest thing to not fitting in was when I was just starting school, I got made fun of because of my hair. My mother really didn’t know what to do with it or how to do it. So it kind of looked like a bird’s nest for a little while. She learned though and everything was fine.

I wasn’t super popular, but I had really good friends all throughout school. I’ve always been kind of arty, so I went to an art school and I fit in again. When I started the job I have now, I started with another woman and they call us “Sun and Moon”.  My supervisor told me she felt like I fit in right away. That probably gives an idea of my personality. I wouldn’t consider myself an introvert though, more of an ambivert.

I think everybody feels like they don’t fit in to some extent. Especially in a lot of social situations.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I avoid crowds in RL

I dislike shopping malls, pubs, festivals, concerts, cinema. I much prefer a quiet chat in a coffee shop with good friends.

On vacation I will go to places where I might see a dozen people all day. Usually a wilderness somewhere....

I avoid crowds in SL because of the lag.

My preferred vacations are summer camping in the Wyoming mountains with nobody else around (probably a thing of the past, since my kids are grown, and tent camping high in the mountains alone when you're fat and old like me isn't smart) and winter on a Caribean beach, or by the hotel pool, where I can just relax and enjoy the warmth and sun, tune out the world with my headphones, read a book or five, and my only social interaction is with the lovely Carmen as she brings me a never ending stream of mudslides.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GillianXRCR said:

Unpopular Opinion: I do classify as a 'furry' in SL for the aspect of creativity, but I am not into the s**ual stuff. Lul.

I never understood why so many people dislike furries.  If they're not yiffing on you (not sure if that's the correct term) without permission, why is someone in a fur costume any more objectionable than someone who looks like an animated (albeit not green) incredible hulk?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

Us weirdos are awesome!

Yeah, never fit in when I was young or now.  Mostly used to it.

My daughter though, is very outgoing and had plenty of friends in school, was very sociable with lots of folks, involved in lots of stuff, and still confessed to me that she often didn't feel like she really fit in and had insecurity issues just like probably almost every other high school kid.  So yep, probably a pretty usual thing for that age.

Side note - per a therapist long ago:  Normal is nothing more than a cycle on the washing machine.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I never understood why so many people dislike furries.  If they're not yiffing on you (not sure if that's the correct term) without permission, why is someone in a fur costume any more objectionable than someone who looks like an animated (albeit not green) incredible hulk?

The furries I've met have all been lovely. I've not met many as I've never really gone to places they frequent, but whenever I've met one, they've always been perfectly pleasant. Goths are totally lovely too.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

There is a reason the story of the misfit is so popular and that's because so, so, so many people relate to it, including people who appear to everyone else to be popular, gregarious and right where they belong. 

You know what’s funny about this? Me and my husband were watching one of those John Hughes movies. We started talking about all of those high school movies where the kids are super cruel and there’s a jock group, nerd group, pretty girl group, stoner group, misfit group. That just wasn’t our experience, he went to school in NYC and I went to school in Montreal, but they make the best movies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

You know what’s funny about this? Me and my husband were watching one of those John Hughes movies. We started talking about all of those high school movies where the kids are super cruel and there’s a jock group, nerd group, pretty girl group, stoner group, misfit group. That just wasn’t our experience, he went to school in NYC and I went to school in Montreal, but they make the best movies.

I read a lot of the classic British boarding school stories growing up (I wonder if people outside of the UK are aware of how Harry Potter fits into that genre and its influence? I don't know how well known it is in other countries.). I always wanted to do midnight feasts and shutting the gym mistress in the games cupboard and all that, but I didn't go to boarding school. 

Secondary school (high school, whatever) is a hard time for most people, even the people who made it look easy. It's just a hard time of life, full stop. I certainly had my share of nasty people (and if you knew what I was like back then, you'd know why), but we were all kids in transition. I don't need to be in contact with them now, but I'm not going to judge someone their entire life on their 15-year-old self. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I read a lot of the classic British boarding school stories growing up (I wonder if people outside of the UK are aware of how Harry Potter fits into that genre and its influence? I don't know how well known it is in other countries.). I always wanted to do midnight feasts and shutting the gym mistress in the games cupboard and all that, but I didn't go to boarding school. 

Secondary school (high school, whatever) is a hard time for most people, even the people who made it look easy. It's just a hard time of life, full stop. I certainly had my share of nasty people (and if you knew what I was like back then, you'd know why), but we were all kids in transition. I don't need to be in contact with them now, but I'm not going to judge someone their entire life on their 15-year-old self. 

Well, who hasn’t read Harry Potter? A lot of anime and manga deals with these kinds of issues too. You start seeing the same archetypes after a while. I don’t think I’ve ever run into a Draco Malfoy in real life.

It’s a pretty awkward age for everyone. I’d really love to see a story from a Bully’s perspective. There was a YA novel called CRASH by Jerry Spinelli that comes pretty close. The kid was kind of a butt in the beginning, but it kind of levels out and he’s a normal kid with issues by the end.

My school life was closer to Degrassi, maybe with a little Euphoria thrown in, than John Hughes. Someone had to go through something like that for those kinds of stories to be popular.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.