Unpopular opinions

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

With that is my firm belief there should be no rating or points systems, no user titles, no join date, none of that crap. The reason anonymous forums and boards are so popular is because nobody likes that one ***** with an anime profile picture, 40k posts, two billion tags and stars under their name, a signature the length of Interstate 80 and an ego to match. "I have bigger number, therefore i have bigger *****". Honestly, die.

I totally agree about the rating and points systems, user titles, and so forth. (Although join date and post totals can, potentially at least, provide some real information).

The reason I myself dislike them is because they are mechanisms for something rather like social engineering: they've been designed to make us do things that the software creators have decided they want us to do. Personally, I don't like being "engineered."

And yes, they can also be very misleading. Anyone looking at my reputation count, for instance, might get the deeply erroneous impression that I'm "helpful" or "knowledgeable" or something.

That said . . . yeesh, who peed on your cornflakes this morning? Deep breaths, deep breaths! No one has died!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Beth thinks any discussion of ANYTHING is dangerously asking for trouble...

But THAT probably isn't my UNpopular opinion...

My unpopular opinion: I think we SHOULD be "naming" builders of problem products / builds as well as those that do good things. Silence, NEVER solves anything. Only discussion and debate do that. With some rules of debate to keep it civil, open discourse is better. Without rules of civility it ends up worse - thus why I disfavor "third party forums".

Awwww... you decided to NOT be passive-aggressive for once and actually reply to me directly!

Though it's not actually on the thread where you actually have the problem with me.

As for whether or not I am willing to discuss things, I think you'll find several threads, if you look hard enough, where I'm wiling to discuss things almost literally to death. Just because you happen to not like my stance on a particular topic doesn't quite mean I think any subject is dangerous... but you go on with your bad self. 

Also, I didn't write the Community Guidelines. The policy against naming and shaming is there, so if you have an issue with it, take it up with LL. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

There are some users here who can seemingly post whatever the hell they want, factually incorrect or not, and if you challenge their opinion then you summon their little cult following to shame you.

Well, Cheesecurd, you bring up something very interesting to me. How do people determine reality? All too often I see people too easily agreeing with the person they like without examining the other side clearly as well.  I'm not sure what can be done about it though -- we are in a way brainwashed to be more open to those we like better...so we see their side in a debate easier and tend to have less empathy for someone we don't like as well.

So, my unpopular opinion is that all should spend vast amounts of time trying to understand people they don't like.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Awwww... you decided to NOT be passive-aggressive for once and actually reply to me directly!

Though it's not actually on the thread where you actually have the problem with me.

I can't really report that comment in every single thread you've ever posted in now can I?

You panic anytime anyone posts ANYTHING that is:

1. critical of anything

2. expresses an opinion other than worship of anything LL / SL related

3. notes support for discussing things

Frustratingly we have very similar politics / perspectives on a lot of topics... but your "panic button" is so extreme I cannot even support you when I otherwise would be inclined to.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The reason I myself dislike them is because they are mechanisms for something rather like social engineering: they've been designed to make us do things that the software creators have decided they want us to do. Personally, I don't like being "engineered."

This is why I walked away from Plurk.

• Like 3

SL should become a Gorean Caliphate. Gor must be the SL law, applied across the grid.

All women on SL must be voice-/video-/photo-verified (incl. RL ID) or banned. Their place will be to serve, as companions. The old and ugly will be banned but some may be allowed to stay if they can contribute to work such as building, texturing, paying for land and streams, etc. 

All fursuits will be removed from Marketplace and all furries banned for life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I can't really report that comment in every single thread you've ever posted in now can I?

You can do whatever you like, sunshine!

And I'm free to disagree with everything you ever say, though I actually don't. There have, in fact, been threads where we agreed with each other. It's almost like people can have different opinions on some things, and the same opinions on others, and not turn everything into a personal attack. 

Well, some of us can, anyway. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

As in Les Mis?

That is an exactly accurate analogy!

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

What if you aren't aware of it?

Well . . . um . . . if I'm not aware of it then . . . I can't be resentful of it?

But I suppose I'd be even more upset about it if I were to find out after the fact?

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Remember, I'm an engineer... and nefarious.

I have a notional sticky on my screen, right next to the one that says "Don't Be Sarcastic," to remind me.

46 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Edited 41 minutes ago by Solar Legion
Not worth the hassle.

You just know you would lose the argument huh?  Isn't that right, Mr. Man. 😬

Unpopular Opinion:  Men should be rounded up and made to live in caves, under total control of women.

🦚:SwingingFriends:    Time to turn this thread into a totally silly one...

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1

As usual, I'm late to the party.  Probably not an unpopular opinion, but I find some of the word games fun.  When I add something in one of them, it's because the previous poster wrote something that catches my fancy and gives me something worth playing off of. It has nothing to do with post count.  Sometimes I just enjoy being silly by playing with words. 🤓

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Muiregwen said:

Unpopular Opinion of Mine (that will probably get some arguments out!)

I... REALLY dislike Maitreya and have no plans of rigging for it and only for other bodies as a 'niche'.

This is due to for RPing that if a clothing piece I like suits my character (like kimonos or lolita fashion), I legit feel forced to wear that mesh body because of the whole 'exclusive' to Maitreya thing when... it's not that great anymore. I prefer Belleza and Slink. I want my kimonos and lolita and all sorts of fantasy gear to those!

But like.. it doesn't support materials/specular... Like those fancy shines on Legacy, Belleza... SLINK (who has a friggin GLOW feature on layers which is pretty badass!)? Yep, can't do those. I don't like the shape of Maitreya either with that awful thigh gap it has. Unless they have a major revamp/update, expect me to not like Maitreya even though it was my first body. (They haven't even updated since I got the body over a YEAR ago! Just a BOM relay..)

There, that is my unpopular opinion which I'm for SURE is unpopular. XD

If you don’t like a product, don’t buy it. Or buy it and leave a review. But don’t use this forum to smear a creator.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think it's probably true that people enjoy the affirmation that comes from seeing people "like" their appearance or pic-taking abilities. That's pretty natural, but it is still secondary to posting the pics. I can't imagine anyone is going to the hassle of taking and posting photos for the express purpose of merely boosting reputation points.

Why would anyone care about those per se? They contribute absolutely nothing. I don't even notice them, tbh (although I will occasionally look at post count).

Because many people lead lives so bereft of meaning that the crave even the minimal affirmation they can find that way.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.