Tell me about yourself

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

My colleague had a student who blew out the yellow flame of a low-burning bunsen burner and then walked away. (Also true story.)

Definitely cool.  And his student didn't even need to use permanganic acid, I bet.  💥

2 hours ago, Gregorian Chant said:

1) I love books too. I have a book log to keep track of all the books I've read in my life.  I'm beginning to wonder if I should include books I've read in childhood.

I'd say yes, include the books from childhood and make a point of reading them again. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Did you know that you can escape the wrath of a father who just watched you break a garage window by detonating a carbide paint-can bomb simply by...

...asking him to help you make one?

It's too late to ask either of my parents, sadly, but I think Mom would have been more likely to know how to do it.   She had a fearless streak.

I set my driveway on fire....a lot....as a child. 

I've broken almost every single bone in my body, many of them multiple times.

I almost got arrested by feds for letting my rockets hit the top of a school building and committing what would be considered "t-word" acts by today's standards (they weren't, it was all mother nature and her incessant need to meddle in my business). They were not even twenty feet away from me, but for whatever reason, couldn't find me when they came looking- I wasn't hiding. They also later went to the wrong house and informed the wrong parents, and every single person went along with it, lmao. 

I once colored the entire sidewalk of my hometown's park (center of town, really, it's a block in size, the sidewalk goes around the perimeter and then crosses diagonally from corner to corner ) to look like a watermelon. Then it rained, and everyone got scared about the red dye all over the park. They still don't know how it got there, though they probably also don't care.  I should add, it was perfectly safe, just looked like the entire town had been slaughtered. 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

I am a male boudoir photographer in real life and I find it amazing how many people judge me unfairly so I shy away from ever mentioning what I do but they don’t really understand what power there in the tears I see sometimes when a woman who is sees how beautiful she is in the right light and a flattering pose. 

• Like 6

I notice things. I have a high degree of perception and see subtle things that happen, when, in my experience (and according to my own perceptions) most other people don't. I consider it to be a blessing, though, unfortunately, it isn't always so. Sometimes I see things or make discoveries I wish I hadn't.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2019 at 6:21 PM, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

That is just the cutest little possum! (I actually think they are cute, at least until they get huge, then they get a little scary-looking in the face)

I had never seen a Possum until one night I heard noises outside my bedroom window so I decided to go out to check what it was.  It was dark and there was a tree outside my window and when I turned around there was this Possum face with all teeth hissing at me and making this horrendous sound.  Scared me!!!!  My Mom had Possum under her house and they made an awful racket and it was really loud...and after I asked what was that noise, my Mom said "Oh, that's just the Possum having sex under the house."  We laughed but it was really loud, I dunno how she stood living with that racket they made.  

Me:  I had a Mom who liked dirty jokes.  HA!   

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

I once got chatting with a famous person without realising who they were.

That happened to me once, I was with a mate in the bar of a hotel and got chatting to another guy there, and when he'd gone I said to my mate, "I wonder if anyone's told him he looks just like R*****?"

My mate said, "Dude, that was R****!"

Another time (also in a hotel bar but a different one) my partner and I were sitting at a table and it was very busy, and this guy asked if he could join us. This time though, I knew exactly who it was - it was Chris Eubank, who was at the time a very well-known boxer in the UK. He was a perfect gentleman, and very friendly, and after he'd gone and we went to pay, we found that our bill had already been settled.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Conifer Dada said:

I got a friend request from a person I didn't recognize a few years back on Facebook. I thought the name rang a bell, but I couldn't place it, so I did a quick Google search and found that it was the singer from one of my absolute favorite bands at the time (not very big, t'was in the Steampunk scene). We've since gotten quite good friends, and he sometimes gives me preview samples of what he's working on.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I got a friend request from a person I didn't recognize a few years back on Facebook. I thought the name rang a bell, but I couldn't place it, so I did a quick Google search and found that it was the singer from one of my absolute favorite bands at the time (not very big, t'was in the Steampunk scene). We've since gotten quite good friends, and he sometimes gives me preview samples of what he's working on.

*thinks*  Abney Park or Steam Powered Giraffe?

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Conifer Dada said:

That also happened to me.

Here's an anecdote I even noted in my  travel diary back then in August '94:

While I was backpacking/hitchhiking westbound, I took a break at a truck stop in order to catch a ride there. And while waiting for my food, I watched the waitress making a fuss around one of the male customers. I wondered what was so special about that man, went to him, and we chatted a while. During this half hour (at most), I got the impression that he was pretty normal, like any other of the guys there at that truck stop.

Anyway.

When that particular guy left, I asked the waitress what all that fuss was about, why she had treated him like someone special. Surprised, she replied asking me if I didn't know who that was, if I hadn't recognized him. When I said no, she almost yelled "That was Mel Gibson!" - I only shook my head "Mel who? Never heard of him", because at that time I hadn't seen any movie with him yet, as far as I could remember.

It was about a half year later when I suddenly saw his name in a TV magazine  that listed a re-run of "Mad Max" parts I - III. I really somehow never had seen any of these movies before - so I had had no clue that the guy I had spoken back then was that famous. 😲

• Like 1

Weird stuff about me..  Dang, where to even start......

There are 12 counties spread over 3 states in the USA where I am registered as a member of clergy and my signature on (for example) your marriage certificate is legal. In those 12 counties there a total of 16 churches in which I have officiated for at least one of the usual trilogy of "hatches matches and dispatches"

I'm a trained swordsman, having studied both kenjutsu and Fiore rapier technique. A notable gap in my knowledge is broadsword and shield, with which I totally suck although that is actually my real "cultural heritage"

I have traveled four of the traditional seven seas under sail, in craft ranging from a 24 foot sloop to a topsail schooner.

I've tried for over an hour and can't come up with a semi-believable fib that doesn't have at least some overlap with a truth, so just threw true ones here.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.