Tell me about yourself

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I was so vexed by the idea of a yorkshire pudding that I bought a large muffin pan and followed a YouTube recipe to make them. 

Well done on the effort!  Since Yorkshire is God's Own Country, I'm sure that means you're blessed. :) 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

5 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I love old book stores.

5 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Me too. The smell of ink in a new book...sigh...

I do actually put the spread book to my face and smell it, and in front of people. Don't really GAF IRL, either.

You are also my today's favourite people. :) 

• Like 1

I also love books.

I've read a lot since I was able to read (with 5years!). The bookshelf in my old room at my mother's house contains exactly 2,538 books - mostly novels of all genres - which I collected and read (most of them a couple times) from 1973 through 1999. I'm a fast reader though (my mother used to say that I'm only "scanning" the pages), and have huge problems to read aloud.

Also, my tablet currently contains roughly 700 ebooks (most of them unread though, because I'm usually working on my own manuscripts, so I don't have that much time for reading anymore).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ThorinII said:

I also love books.

I've read a lot since I was able to read (with 5years!). The bookshelf in my old room at my mother's house contains exactly 2,538 books - mostly novels of all genres - which I collected and read (most of them a couple times) from 1973 through 1999. I'm a fast reader though (my mother used to say that I'm only "scanning" the pages), and have huge problems to read aloud.

Also, my tablet currently contains roughly 700 ebooks (most of them unread though, because I'm usually working on my own manuscripts, so I don't have that much time for reading anymore).

*Adds you to the list of today's favourite people*. :) 

• Like 2

I've tried reading books on line. It doesn't work for me. 

Books are special. Not only in the feel and texture of the covers, but the feel and texture of the pages.

Each book has an individual smell, and others have noted that new ink on fresh pages is alluring. Also the way in which books age. The soft yellowing around the edges, the ever so slightly furry edges to the dust jacket, the erosion of the new ink smell into a mellow, musty old book smell. All of this is addictive.

I have some books from my childhood. Their new smell is locked inside my head. Their smell now has mellowed, and their pages yellowed, but to open one, releases all those memories of long ago. 

Not only do I love old book shops, because of all the above, but I frequent the on line old book search websites. I look for books I lost, and love to re-acquire lost treasures for my library.

I'm not a novel reader, my childhood was spent buried in encyclopedias, and I still prefer fact and historical reading. This more than anything shaped my life.

@Garnet Psaltery Do I qualify??

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 3

2 random facts about me:

1. I probably have the smallest bathroom of all the forum regulars. The house, where my apartment is in, was build in 1901 and was not meant for the upper class. Each floor shared a tiny room with a toilet half-way on the stairs. The apartments itself had no own bathroom. My bathroom was probably constructed out of the pantry and a part of the hallway. Its maybe 1m² in size and one person can be in it at a time.

2. I love animals. My favorite animal is the seal, preferably those average grey ones. Did you know they turn fuffy, when they lay long enough in the sun to dry?

• Like 2

Random Orwarian Trivia:

• Once got stopped by a policeman, who held my friends and myself up with a gun - because one of them put up a 'roadwork in progress' sign that had fallen over. So much for being good citizens!
  • Recently changed my FB profile picture, and got the comment 'You look dangerous!'. From my own mother.
  • Attended Sunday school. Once. Got kicked out for talking dirty to a nun. I was 8.
  • Only have attended one live concert in my life. Meat Loaf.
  • Writes longhand (several styles), Maximillian fraktur, Chancery, Textura Quadrata and my own innovative 'Orwarian semi-fraktur'. But can't write 'type' (my signature is more legible than my print signature).
  • Somehow got an MVG (then-highest grade possible) in art. Never figured out how that happened.
  • Can trace my ancestry back to before Christianity came my birthplace (1100's). Viking heritage confirmed!
  • On that note, I can also read and write runic script (younger & modern Futhark) fluently.
  • Introvert, not shy.
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Only have attended one live concert in my life. Meat Loaf.

I've actually attended five live concerts: City in 1987, Jethro Tull in 1992 (I think), an oldies concert in Salt Lake City, during my backpacking trip through the USA in August '94, Qntal in 2007, and Persephone in 2008.

And speaking of backpacking: I actually backpacked (and mostly hitchhiked) through the States for 4 weeks each, in Summer '91 and through August '94.

The first trip led me from NYC to Chicago and back; the second one was from NYC via northern New England to Salt Lake City and back. And strangely, I often was even asked which *state* (not country) I came from.

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 1

I adore:

• Cats; especially my best friend's cat: Milo as when I visit he always bugs me and I'm okay with that as he my cuddle bug! 
  • Colouring in is big thing with me; I can literally hours when working on picture so I include a picture of my most recent work.
  • Music is very much ingrained into my soul.
  • Cooking, my Instagram shows mostly what I cook as not a "selfie" fan.

Sugar.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I've tried reading books on line. It doesn't work for me. 

Books are special. Not only in the feel and texture of the covers, but the feel and texture of the pages.

Each book has an individual smell, and others have noted that new ink on fresh pages is alluring. Also the way in which books age. The soft yellowing around the edges, the ever so slightly furry edges to the dust jacket, the erosion of the new ink smell into a mellow, musty old book smell. All of this is addictive.

I have some books from my childhood. Their new smell is locked inside my head. Their smell now has mellowed, and their pages yellowed, but to open one, releases all those memories of long ago. 

Not only do I love old book shops, because of all the above, but I frequent the on line old book search websites. I look for books I lost, and love to re-acquire lost treasures for my library.

I'm not a novel reader, my childhood was spent buried in encyclopedias, and I still prefer fact and historical reading. This more than anything shaped my life.

@Garnet Psaltery Do I qualify??

Absolutely!  You took me on a lovely mind journey. :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:
  • Writes longhand (several styles), Maximillian fraktur, Chancery, Textura Quadrata and my own innovative 'Orwarian semi-fraktur'. But can't write 'type' (my signature is more legible than my print signature).
  • Can trace my ancestry back to before Christianity came my birthplace (1100's). Viking heritage confirmed!
  • On that note, I can also read and write runic script (younger & modern Futhark) fluently.

Lovely tasty facts, thank you.  I practised Calligraphy many years ago, and have forgotten most of the font names, although, looking up the ones you mention, I'm sure I used two of them.  I also remember being taught Insular Half-Uncials, which are worth it for the name alone.  My DNA is reportedly mostly Iron-Age British, with about a fifth West-Germanic (without much difference, I expect).  There are no records of the families before 16th Century, that I know of, however.

• Like 1

Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

I also remember being taught Insular Half-Uncials, which are worth it for the name alone.

I've tried them, but it didn't turn out great. And the pen angle of most Uncial scripts feels so weird to me!

6 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have tried and just don't get the same enjoyment reading a book on my tablet as I do grasping a real book in my hands and curling up lost in it for hours at a time.

Posting has been busy so forgive me for not yet adding you to my list of today's favourite people.  To save missing anyone else today, let me say anyone who mentions a love of real books is automatically on it!

• 50 year old woman with an (almost) unhealthy love for all things Taylor Swift
  • Was director of marketing for a sex museum in Los Angeles
  • As a result of the above, had the late Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church scream my favorite insult ever at me, "Even a classy wh*re is still a wh*re!" 
  • Once had a drug dealer point a machine gun at me and say, "Bad things happen to pretty little girls."
  • Still thinks fart jokes are the epitome of hilarity
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Which side you lean to?

Left, if any. I do try to have a good ergonomic posture whilst writing, so I tend to sit straight (or slightly leaned forward) but I also do most of my calligraphy as in-between things to do in the workshop. Whenever my work piece goes into press, and I have nothing else I can do to it, I just turn my chair around to my other workbench - got one for the bookbinding, and one for the calligraphy. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.