Frank's place closing Nov 23th

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

It was actually $5,000 for a very short time, then got changed to $1k and stayed there fore a very long time before it was moved to $500. At any rate I doubt they're going to get many new members at $1k now.

The 500Ls was in 2009. I hadn't even heard of Frank's Elite until then (I knew about Frank's but not Elite) so I don't remember it being more before that. Even so the 1000Ls was even more out of my financial reach at the time than the 500Ls because it was a monthly fee not a one time fee.. It's even more out of my financial reach now than ever before. That which is a pittance to some is a small "fortune" for others.

In 2009 Franks Elite moved to a new sim, Franks Place 7 and membership changed from a monthly fee of L$1000 per month to a one time fee of $500, making "The Elite" a much more open venue (But still not as crowded as the main Jazz club).

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Frank's_Place

At the time I did take the advantage of the one time free visit to look it over but I was ignored by all the members present so I never bothered saving up to join the group. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

Well, I stated earlier that I'm always sad to see a long-time place in SL close, but I can't say I'm ecstatic upon learning it will stay. Big whoop. It is a lousy place to meet people. $1000 fee? Yeah... no. There are better places to listen to better music for free. Good on ya, Franks, for staying. Best wishes, etc etc but I'll go back to being not Elite.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Wonder if part of this is a publicity stunt --- since one location is remaining open.

As far as I am aware, ALL locations run by Frank's Entertainment Group were closing.

EDIT: Well, it looks like someone else is taking over Frank's Elite Jazz from Nanceee Sinatra. Here is a quote from a notecard posted the Frank's Elite Group yesterday:

"I have new announcement to make regarding Franks Elite, our member's exclusive venue of FEG. In the late hours of last evening, I had a meeting with Mr. William Zeta.  In this discussion we have agreed to allow Frank's Elite to continue and to be owned by him."

Apparently, William Zeta owned the personal home that Naceee Sinatra bought, which became Frank's Elite Jazz club, so it kind of goes full circle. I quite liked Frank's Elite Jazz club, so I am glad to see it stay open.

Edited by Vanity Fair

10 hours ago, Gregorian Chant said:

There was a monthly fee of 1K?  Pffft, I could outfit an army of alts in full mesh for that kind of money. 😂

The L$500 I paid in the dark ages gave you group membership, and that was permanent.  No more fees.  The new owner?  Who knows?

Back then Franks was running a half-dozen SIMs and only charging a one-off fee for on of those: Franks Elite.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I agree with Jules.  I haven't been to Frank's in a long time; I was protesting their policies by withholding my checkbook.  But they were one of the first ballrooms I ever experienced in SL, and, to my mind, one of the best ones in terms of build quality and dances provided.  Another historical landmark we must say farewell to.

What are these policies you protested?

I always thought, all the public places/ballrooms somehow worked as a bait to become an eliterian upper class avatar?
Like "I deserve and im better than that poor looking low life. Take all my money, give me that group tag what makes me special and remove that yellow construction ban lines!"

There is a need of slums surrounding the ivory tower, otherwise there is not effect to it. ^^

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Chronometria said:

The place was pretty well known for not letting in anyone who was even a bit non-human lookin. That did raise the hackles of some folks.

Frank's did relax that policy slightly. I do remember a regular visitor to Frank's Place who had a tail. But you're right, overall it was humans only.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:36 AM, Mollymews said:

wonders what they gunna do with all the plebs like me who only joined recently so to give a L$50 wedding present to the person getting married for no reason other than to say thanks, an appreciation for the happiness that other people sometimes found there

i only ever went to that Franks once before. When it first opened they had an open day - allow access anyone.  Was quite a interesting build back then, I quite liked the galleries. No idea what it looks today tho

pleb in the sense that I only have one formal gown these days

Oh, I would imagine the L$50 discounts were designed to entice frequenters of the other Frank's clubs to become Elite.  Larger group size is attractive to potential buyers. 

I know the elite group was already huge, but suspect like most old groups like that that only 25% of the membership had logged-in within 2019.  The discount drove active players to the group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoyed a lovely evening there yesterday, thinking we were saying a fond farewell to an SL Institution.  We're very glad it will stay open as it was quite busy (63 avatars when we were there) but not a place we have ever been to before, and probably not one we'll spend lots of time at for a L$1k group join fee.

https://i.gyazo.com/2763c958340db9c27d461374211af868.mp4

I hope everyone there enjoyed the evening as much as we did ♥

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

Oh, I would imagine the L$50 discounts were designed to entice frequenters of the other Frank's clubs to become Elite.  Larger group size is attractive to potential buyers.

i only paid the L$50 group join when the owner announced that all the Franks organisations clubs were closing and that the join fee was reduced to L$50 as a farewell gesture to the wider community.  The L$50 I gave was more a reciprocal farewell gift from me to the lady Nancee than anything else. This is not the first time I have given money to people (who I don't know) as a farewell pressie for what they had contributed over the years

i never expected that the Franks Elite club would end up not closing, go into new ownership and continue. So will be interesting to see what happens now 

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Conall DeCuir said:

I really do not understand what they are going to do. Franks Jazz will be closing but Elite will stay open. Elite will cost 1k Membership Fee and will be for Members only? 

Other way around, I believe:

Franks Elite Jazz - Our Member's Exclusive destination of the Franks Entertainment Group. 
FEG Closing Nov. 24, 2019
Until then Memberships are reduced to L$50. 
Thank you for the memories,
Nanceee Sinatra
For more information, check Notices for Closure.

The way I read this is: The Elite group (and group-only access regions) will close down. The original (free access) Frank's will remain open and accessible. This is why I thought the reduction of joining fee to L$50 was laughable (Why not make it free if it's closing? Why would anyone pay that to join a group that will close in a few days?)

I did not read the notecard referenced so there may be details in that which I'm not aware of. Is that where you are getting the understanding you have (what you write above)?

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Other way around, I believe:

The way I read this is: The Elite group (and group-only access regions) will close down. The original (free access) Frank's will remain open and accessible. This is why I thought the reduction of joining fee to L$50 was laughable (Why not make it free if it's closing? Why would anyone pay that to join a group that will close in a few days?)

I did not read the notecard referenced so there may be details in that which I'm not aware of. Is that where you are getting the understanding you have (what you write above)?

Originally all was going to close and the Elite fee was reduced for those that wanted to join and go the to the elite area until the close down date.

However, it has now been stated that the Elite piece is being bought by someone else and will stay open - and the group join fee is now up to L$500 or L$1000.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Originally all was going to close and the Elite fee was reduced for those that wanted to join and go the to the elite area until the close down date.

However, it has now been stated that the Elite piece is being bought by someone else and will stay open - and the group join fee is now up to L$500 or L$1000.

Ahah, thanks for the update. I've already been a member of that group (L$500) for a few years, but have found it not so enjoyable to go there for a long time because what was a "lean" group (thus, less lag, etc.) has turned into a pig-in-a-poke with that version of Franks becoming more crowded (and thus, laggier) than the open free location. ~shrugs~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, Amelia Mitchell said:

Copied from the  group notices.

Franks Elite Jazz - Our Member's Exclusive destination of the Franks Entertainment Group. 
Nanceee Sinatra

In the attached NC, Nanceee Sinatra explains that she's getting married IRL, that's the  reason behind the closure of all of Frank's related venues.

Well that did not last long did it.

• Confused 1

image.png.4edecd3011e6ecb719b655163a6d3767.png

7 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:
On 11/11/2019 at 10:55 AM, Amelia Mitchell said:

Copied from the  group notices.

Nanceee Sinatra

In the attached NC, Nanceee Sinatra explains that she's getting married IRL, that's the  reason behind the closure of all of Frank's related venues.

Expand  

Well that did not last long did it.

That announcement was over a year ago.  It was announcing the closing of the original Frank's Place that had been around since the early days of SL.

Best I know, the Frank's Jazz that opened up right around that time is still open.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Then I'm totally confused on the "Well that did not last long did it" comment.

I got the impression she was referring to a (possible) marriage break up. But pay no attention to me. I'm just the green curtain that has been hanging around unnoticed for years*.

*Wizard of Oz and no I am not saying the marriage broke up but maybe Tarina knows something we don't.  🤔

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.