Frank's place closing Nov 23th

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I am happy that this place will close.

I try to go to this place when I learn that it will close. But I notice that it is very hard to enter in communication with people. I am feeling like I disturbe. Feeling like a stranger who don't understand the rules. Each time when I talk with peole either I get blocked either the conversation stopt either and this is the way I prefer my talker tells me to stop talking with. This is definitively not a good place for me. No one understand me and I don't understand the rules of this role play. The first step is very deep to enter. And I am feeling so bad to not play successfully

• Sad 1

I just had my last dance at Frank's, a Brit guy desperate to connect with a woman. The Brit guys are always like that. I hope something replaces Frank's and I don't think it will be Foxy's, which has been pretty much empty when I've been there. Frank's bills itself as a jazz club and yet does not play jazz most often.  When I go to a jazz club I want to hear real jazz, and not what they were playing tonight. Also the dress code has been relaxed a good deal and people get away with a lot less than formal dress.  I don't care for that at all. What attracted me to Frank's was the veneer of class, knowing that it was just a veneer but at least it was there. It's not anymore. So I can't say I'll miss Frank's place because they abandoned that standard. If I go to a jazz club I expect high standards. I don't see that at Frank's anymore.

Well, I stopped by tonight and looked at Franks Elite.  It has been rebuilt with @IvanBenjammin's modular system since I was last here five or so years ago.  I came here a lot when SL was new to me.  I just haven't been able to let the group go, even though I never visit anymore.  Getting the various group-list increases over the years has allowed me to keep this one on the list. The gondola I loved so much was still there in spirit, though the prims had changed to mesh.  It was a nice trip down memory lane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

I was maybe there a total of 10 times. But I have also seen places I love come and go. It's part of the natural order of things. Places will come, and places will go.

Yeah, a lot like RL  I had the privilege of going to some of the greatest Jazz clubs in NYC from the early '70's.  WOW what venues: the Lenox Lounge. Wow   They are all gone!  Others have replaced these institutions but none compare.   Sad.   Imho, Frank's was a faux Jazz place.  It was all about couples hanging.  Not about the music.

PS  I didn't read the entire thread - TMI on Franks :)

My wife and I will miss Franks.  We both enjoy having a formal night out of romance and since Sweethearts has become empty, it was Frank's for us.  Although a proper jazz club where the dress code is a little more relaxed than Bogarts was would be great.  I know she'd love to actually be able to wear something appropriate for a jazz club instead of wearing a ball gown.  We've always preferred more intimate sized places but there were many times we enjoyed Franks.  Love it or hate it, it will be missed in Second Life by many.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 5:13 PM, Pamela Galli said:

Franks is so well known a buyer might be one of the few who could make money charging a fee for joining and or entering.

Its my experience that venues only suffer by not being operated by those who had the initial vision and emotional investment. Great ideas die with a change in ownership. Best way to make money in Second Life is not to concern yourself with the money and come up with something you're passionate about and that stands apart from something already done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

Yeah, a lot like RL  I had the privilege of going to some of the greatest Jazz clubs in NYC from the early '70's.  WOW what venues: the Lenox Lounge. Wow   They are all gone!  Others have replaced these institutions but none compare.   Sad.   Imho, Frank's was a faux Jazz place.  It was all about couples hanging.  Not about the music.

PS  I didn't read the entire thread - TMI on Franks :)

There's a club in Wash DC still around that has Jazz --- Blues Alley. The late Eva Cassidy played there long ago.

Price is now L$1000.  It was L$500 way back in the dark ages when I joined.  Group notice says that Franks Elite is now transferred to the Avatar that previously owned the SIM in 2009.  I don't feel comfortable posting it all here, but if you are a member, check the notices in the group before they age out.  Group URI is: 

secondlife:///app/group/9b29d415-b79a-5c2e-e5ef-ca375de6aff6/about

Edited by Erwin Solo

3 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

Price is now L$1000

wonders what they gunna do with all the plebs like me who only joined recently so to give a L$50 wedding present to the person getting married for no reason other than to say thanks, an appreciation for the happiness that other people sometimes found there

i only ever went to that Franks once before. When it first opened they had an open day - allow access anyone.  Was quite a interesting build back then, I quite liked the galleries. No idea what it looks today tho

pleb in the sense that I only have one formal gown these days

• Like 1

That will certainly be good news to some people at least that they are keeping one location open. I've always thought the joining fee was ridiculously priced, but I'm still thankful for Frank's because I did meet my husband there. I don't know if I would of met him otherwise.

I left the group when I heard it was closing and won't be paying the fee to join again. Hubby and I are thankful for the place, but neither of us have the desire to go back. I do wish the new owner best wishes though.

Edited by LyricalBookworm

8 hours ago, Mollymews said:

wonders what they gunna do with all the plebs like me who only joined recently so to give a L$50 wedding present to the person getting married for no reason other than to say thanks, an appreciation for the happiness that other people sometimes found there.

The money goes to whoever has dividend rights  in the group at the time you donated. So if you did so, your 50L would be shared between Nancee and whoever else she appointed with that role. It may be that one of those people is the new owner.

Presumably, Nancee has now left the group, but if she hasnt, she is still getting shares of the 1000L fees too.

I for one will be sorry to see Frank's go. I also joined Frank's Elite (back when it cost L$500 to join) because the Frank's Elite Jazz Club was so nice and you didn't have male avatars constantly hitting on you.

Fun fact: I used to judge how well I could style a female avatar in formal wear by plunking her down at the bar next to the dancefloor at Frank's Place and waiting to see how long it would take before some random male avatar would hit on her. I think my record was less than 60 seconds.

Second fun fact: I used to use Frank's Jazz as my radio station. I would just load up Vanity, dress her up in a ballgown, place her at Frank's, and then go lie on the sofa with my iPad while listening to the music stream. 

It will be interesting to see which place(s) Frank's clientele will go to now that all the venues are closing. Which ballroom was the one that had all the bots: Foxxy's, Sweethearts? One of them had the exact same bots every single time you visited, so that they would appear high in the search listings.

And yes, I do consider this to be the end of an era, and I will probably be there at Frank's Place or Frank's Elite Jazz on the final evening.

Edited by Vanity Fair

17 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Wonder if part of this is a publicity stunt --- since one location is remaining open.

The whole thing does smell a bit fishy to me.

At one time I had wanted to be a member of Frank's Elite. Back then the 500Ls was just too steep for me and now it's doubled in price? Sorry, no, I'm not contributing to someone's money grabbing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vanity Fair said:

Which ballroom was the one that had all the bots: Foxxy's, Sweethearts? One of them had the exact same bots every single time you visited, so that they would appear high in the search listings.

While Frank's perhaps didn't need to use bots, I can say with 100% confidence, they used them, a lot, all the time actually, and most were alts , usually a couple each on dance balls, of staff members just plunked down. I can say this with 100% confidence because I know two staff members (that didn't want to rock the boat) who were asked to do this .  I'm not knocking them for it ( I could..but I'm not, lol), loads and loads of places do this, both before when traffic truly mattered a lot more- and was configured a different way, and even now, after LL changed things. I imagine the two I know of were not the only ones doing it. 

37 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Wonder if part of this is a publicity stunt --- since one location is remaining open.

You get a cookie :) 

I have absolutely no doubt, whatsoever that this is entirely what it was and there was never any true intention to close them all (just the venues not doing as hot, perhaps, I'll give them that). The money grab aspect as a "gift to the public" was the nail in that coffin, imo. I doubt, after this, the place will ever be as popular as it once was, because the general public (the portion that has any opinion one way or another, which, admittedly, is probably small) will be more likely to lean towards a negative opinion when they realize it was a quick cash grab

34 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Back then the 500Ls was just too steep for me and now it's doubled in price? Sorry, no, I'm not contributing to someone's money grabbing.

It was actually $5,000 for a very short time, then got changed to $1k and stayed there fore a very long time before it was moved to $500. At any rate I doubt they're going to get many new members at $1k now.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.