Frank's place closing Nov 23th

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, LyricalBookworm said:

I'm sad to hear this since that is where I met my husband who I've taken things to rl with. I never would of met him had it not been for Frank's. In that aspect, I will always be thankful for the venues.

I would get dressed up and go hang out there listening to music on my own. It was enjoyable since I absolutely love the old time atmosphere and jazz music.

Now I'm wondering if Sweethearts still exists. I'm going to have to grab my hubby and see.

Sweethearts  does still exist, but it has been a "ghost town" for months, if not years. -A few bots are  its only regulars nowadays- It happened to be one of the the most popular ballroom venues until a few years ago, when Dilbert Dilweg And Charity Colville sold it out. Actually, I feel  sadder for sweethearts' downfall than for Franks closure, because Sweethearts is not closed, it's just, as it seems, completely neglected.

Edited by Amelia Mitchell
grammar mistake
  • Thanks 1

I would much rather see a place like Sweetheart's or even a brand new place get a breath of new life than to see Frank's stay open. Because Sweetheart's never was a cash grab, and I think that any new place which might open will know that the cash grab part is going to come with one hefty amount of cynicism and won't be well received. I think that's also part of why some people stayed loyal to Frank's...because they paid the damn money and they are going to get their money's worth, lol (in fact I know that's why some people did, they've told me so). There was a time when it was actually $5k to join the group, btw, then it was lowered to $2500L, and eventually $500L... I realized that after talking with someone else about it and realizing that we'd had this same discussion within our group some years back about the place, and whether or not it was worth the cost (it wasn't, to any of us in that group, except the one person who had paid it and regretted doing so not long after, lol). 

So, yes, there is definitely an opening for someone to come in and make a place that plays actual jazz (that's actually been an opening for years, Frank's stopped playing actual jazz by 2013), or even not jazz, but has a formal atmosphere that doesn't charge an arm and a damn leg (not that charging is the issue, it's what you get for the cost that is, lol), or doesn't come off as elitist to the general public. A lot can be learned from the places that have come and gone, regardless of how long standing they are, every single one that has come and gone can teach us something about what not to do, or what to do :)

On 11/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, Amelia Mitchell said:

Copied from the  group notices.

Franks Elite Jazz - Our Member's Exclusive destination of the Franks Entertainment Group. 
FEG Closing Nov. 24, 2019
Until then Memberships are reduced to L$50. 
Thank you for the memories,
Nanceee Sinatra
For more information, check Notices for Closure.

In the attached NC, Nanceee Sinatra explains that she's getting married IRL, that's the  reason behind the closure of all of Frank's related venues.

I maybe went there when I started...and as I recall no fee to join the group.. But can not say I have been there in 9 years.  So, who cares.  I to am going to sell my sim because I can not afford it. Should I make a notice? No, why because no one cares. FTR, I think its asinine to pay for a membership when you know its not going to be there. Its like a last ditched effort to get more money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- insert your flame here.

My response. So what who cares.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah.

I've never liked Frank's. In fact, I've enjoyed, often, actively disliking Frank's. (It has to be said that there is a bit of a snobbish appeal to denigrating Frank's.) 

But de mortuis nihil nisi bonum, and all that, I suppose. I am genuinely sorry that it's closing; even if I dislike it, I don't wish it ill. And I'm also sorry that there are evidently those who will feel its absence keenly.

Maybe (she said archly) this will mean that someone will fill the apparent void that it leaves behind with a place that isn't tacky, plays good jazz, and isn't (*cough cough*) "elite." I'd like that, personally.

I heart you.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah.

I've never liked Frank's. In fact, I've enjoyed, often, actively disliking Frank's. (It has to be said that there is a bit of a snobbish appeal to denigrating Frank's.) 

But de mortuis nihil nisi bonum, and all that, I suppose. I am genuinely sorry that it's closing; even if I dislike it, I don't wish it ill. And I'm also sorry that there are evidently those who will feel its absence keenly.

Maybe (she said archly) this will mean that someone will fill the apparent void that it leaves behind with a place that isn't tacky, plays good jazz, and isn't (*cough cough*) "elite." I'd like that, personally.

does ANYONE play good jazz? I can't seem to find one place that actually plays jazz. 

13 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Someone help me out  (brain fuzz)   Was it less Elite 10 years ago there?  I seem to remember somewhere in my early days that was great fun and not ballroom but did have a lot of stores selling ball gowns on the way in.   I have a memory of being there the day Michael Jackson died and a spontaneous line of people all dressed as him breaking out into the Thriller dance. 

was it bogarts ????

22 minutes ago, anniepany said:

does ANYONE play good jazz? I can't seem to find one place that actually plays jazz. 

I remember my man playing at a club one night had a request for some jazz. He put in a set and the person who requested it TPed in a few others. Had a nice turn out. Sad thing the club's owner said no more the following week and stick with the rock. A few months later the club closed down.

26 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I remember my man playing at a club one night had a request for some jazz. He put in a set and the person who requested it TPed in a few others. Had a nice turn out. Sad thing the club's owner said no more the following week and stick with the rock. A few months later the club closed down.

It's so hard to find any place that places REAL jazz, and the ones that do are dead, which is really sad, because the builds are usually really good, i don't understand why someone would do an awesome club and not do anything with it, plus paying for the tier, seems like a waste of time and money to me. Just sayin'

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah.

This. Probably without the Latin, but this. I'm not sure I got around to actively denigrating Franks but thought it often. I was there several times a long time ago, and like many of the people in this thread I never returned. I wonder if that is another reason for its closing, besides the matrimonial bliss. I wonder if the club's attendance was down over the years. I have no idea.

I did enjoy watching the women wearing their very, very full flexi prim skirts that totally enveloped their dancing partners.

It is sad to see long-standing venues close though.

3 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I can think of at least one already ... 😁

Aha! You forced me to look at your profile and I see the club listed. It looks interesting. :) May be just the change I need when I don't feel like Indie rock. Now, if I could just find a replacement for the Manchester rock club that I used to love...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Amelia Mitchell said:

Sweethearts  does still exist, but it has been a "ghost town" for months, if not years. -A few bots are  its only regulars nowadays- It happened to be one of the the most popular ballroom venues until a few years ago, when Dilbert Dilweg And Charity Colville sold it out. Actually, I feel  sadder for sweethearts' downfall than for Franks closure, because Sweetherts is not closed, just, as it seems, completely neglected.

That is really heartbreaking. I remember when they used to have the King and Queen Sweethearts are some such thing. I most likely am remembering wrong. It was the first club I went to back in 2009 when I joined. Thank you for sharing that with me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LyricalBookworm said:

That is really heartbreaking. I remember when they used to have the King and Queen Sweethearts are some such thing. I most likely am remembering wrong. It was the first club I went to back in 2009 when I joined. Thank you for sharing that with me.

Sweethearts was too the first club I went to  back in my newbie days. In there also, I meet my current bf 10 years ago. To see it becoming the lonely place that it  has been for so long, puts me in a sad mood. :(

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Aha! You forced me to look at your profile and I see the club listed. It looks interesting. :) May be just the change I need when I don't feel like Indie rock. Now, if I could just find a replacement for the Manchester rock club that I used to love...

Manchester rock club???

OMG if there was a SL equivalent of Jilly's, I would be there every night. I loved that place, was gutted when it closed..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, anniepany said:

It's so hard to find any place that places REAL jazz, and the ones that do are dead, which is really sad, because the builds are usually really good, i don't understand why someone would do an awesome club and not do anything with it, plus paying for the tier, seems like a waste of time and money to me. Just sayin'

Club Noir is a labour of love for me. I pay for the tier because it's worth it, to me, to have three or four events a month that I really love hosting.

For the rest of the time, it's open to anyone; the jukebox has about 12 different jazz channels that anyone can select from, and I often see green dots in there where couples have gone to spend some romantic time together and enjoy the ambience, or just go alone and take some pics.

I don't make profit on it, but if people enjoy it and keep going back, that is NOT a waste of money for me.

If my financial situation changes for the worse, and that I can't afford to spend even £6 a month out of my own pocket on SL (which is what Noir currently costs me, after tips), then I would have to close it, but until that happens, Noir is there to stay. And honestly, I'd rather give up two pints of beer in RL than give up my club.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

If my financial situation changes for the worse, and that I can't afford to spend even £6 a month out of my own pocket on SL (which is what Noir currently costs me, after tips), then I would have to close it, but until that happens, Noir is there to stay. And honestly, I'd rather give up two pints of beer in RL than give up my club.

£6 for two pints of beer? In Manchester? You'll be lucky to get much change out of a tenner.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Club Noir is a labour of love for me. I pay for the tier because it's worth it, to me, to have three or four events a month that I really love hosting.

For the rest of the time, it's open to anyone; the jukebox has about 12 different jazz channels that anyone can select from, and I often see green dots in there where couples have gone to spend some romantic time together and enjoy the ambience, or just go alone and take some pics.

I don't make profit on it, but if people enjoy it and keep going back, that is NOT a waste of money for me.

Hey Lewis, thanks for letting me know about your club, I definitely will check it out. Do you happen to have a LM for it? 

On 11/13/2019 at 1:18 PM, Amelia Mitchell said:

Sweethearts  does still exist, but it has been a "ghost town" for months, if not years. -A few bots are  its only regulars nowadays- It happened to be one of the the most popular ballroom venues until a few years ago, when Dilbert Dilweg And Charity Colville sold it out. Actually, I feel  sadder for sweethearts' downfall than for Franks closure, because Sweethearts is not closed, it's just, as it seems, completely neglected.

Sweethearts is moribund?  Oh no!  That used to be our "go to" place for ballroom dancing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Club Noir is a labour of love for me.

Lewis, I went to check out Club Noir tonight, and realized that I already know it. And have an LM for it.

In fact, I liked the decor so much that, some months ago, I posted a pic of me there in one of the vanity threads!

It's a really lovely place (if a bit oversized for my wee little 1.78 m tall avi, a perennial problem for me, alas)! Thank you for reminding me of it!

Stormy-Blues-Blank.thumb.png.280e270b63c61f722cd914472cdbf690.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

That is so cool that you're keeping it running. The club I built was a labor of love too and was designed after a RL jazz club me and my sweetie visited a couple times years ago in Wash DC. Due to RL health reasons I had to step back and a good friend has taken it over and running it. It's a live music Blues Club.

6 hours ago, anniepany said:

Hey Lewis, thanks for letting me know about your club, I definitely will check it out. Do you happen to have a LM for it? 

If you have signatures turned on --- Lewis has a LM in his sig.

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

That is so cool that you're keeping it running. The club I built was a labor of love too and was designed after a RL jazz club me and my sweetie visited a couple times years ago in Wash DC. Due to RL health reasons I had to step back and a good friend has taken it over and running it. It's a live music Blues Club.

If you have signatures turned on --- Lewis has a LM in his sig.

Thanks Kimmi

7 hours ago, anniepany said:

I don't think I'm allowed to post that here, but turn signatures on, it's down there. Or look at my in-world profile, at my Picks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.