Frank's place closing Nov 23th

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

The location is really well made, but my experiences of Franks - is crowded and laggy with little local chat, and even less IMs. Not that I've been much. The balance between minimal lag, and an enjoyable venue is hard to find.

Well, In my experience, Franks and all the others like it (I think Foxy's has been the only real Franks competitor for years) are not soloist venues to be sure. You either show up as a couple and leave as a couple or you're in for silent, spectator-only experience.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I fondly remember (11 years ago!) pulling up in front of my SLex's house in Arcadia Asylum's Metro Grunge Bus, wearing the biggest ball gown I could find. Once aboard, I drove her across two mostly wooded regions, to Bogarts, where I accidentally killed a tuxedoed pedestrian (he was very gracious) as I pulled up in front of the venue.

I miss romance.

I nominate Maddy for the Trout Recreant Humor in Forum Posts Medal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Well, In my experience, Franks and all the others like it (I think Foxy's has been the only real Franks competitor for years) are not soloist venues to be sure. You either show up as a couple and leave as a couple or you're in for silent, spectator-only experience.

Yeah. Never really thought of it like that, but it sure condenses my experiences into a few words. But the bar area was full of solitary avis, just standing....I popped in today for old times sake..... might as well not have wasted the ten minutes :)

• Like 3

Thanks for not making me feel completely alone in my criticism...even if it wasn't intentional :D

I'm not a big club or fancy place goer, never really have been, never really will. Also not a big dresser upper, never have been, never will, lol. But I've been to my fair share of them over the years. I enjoyed Franks, but, eh, I could take or leave it. It definitely wasn't the "meet someone nice you can dance with" venue it was advertised as for a while, but more of a "bring your date here" place., and that served them way better over the years I think. 

I do have fond memories of the place. But I think the simple fact that it's been around since before a lot of people were even in sl is the main reason it has the reputation it does now, and because of how they turned it around ages ago when it wasn't doing as hot. Things become mainstays out of longevity here in sl more often than not. For the longest time, even though it was kind of popular in chit chat with people, that place had one of the worst reputations ever, as far as dace venues were concerned,  for high entrance and group fees to get exclusive access to a place that had some serious lag and crashing issues (and dubbing the not expensive "normal" frank's-where most people went- as almost slumming it compared to the other didn't help any) They changed that though and turned it around, and I think that served them well in remedying the reputation issue, and helped them continue to keep a nice place going for a long time. Good on them for doing that too, it wouldn't have lasted this long had they not. 

It wasn't my favorite formal place, that was Sweetheart's or CInderella's. 

Our favorite places to dance however weren't formal places at all, they were in fact mostly empty places like September Rain, Paradise Falls, Paris, The Grand Canyon, and home, we danced at home a LOT (thank you intan) lol 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Franks_006.png.4e3a2cf835c346620f1c906df67c30fb.png

A lifetime, or two weeks, whichever comes first.

I wonder if I should plunk down L$50 on the 90% discounted membership on the gamble that it does stay open.

I'm honestly puzzled. Why would anyone do this? What do you "get" for L$50 that would make this in any way a worthwhile expenditure?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm honestly puzzled. Why would anyone do this? What do you "get" for L$50 that would make this in any way a worthwhile expenditure?

Nothing, rofl, but it's being advertised and pushed towards people all over the dang place (or at least in a lot of the groups I'm in, I've seen the notices and group messages)...which just makes my cynicism grow exponentially.

I wish people well, but a money grab is a pretty crappy way to go out, imo. Unless the goal is to return to the crappy rep it had for a while, in which case...perfect way lol. 

• Like 7

the person is getting married RL. Pay tier, or pay for gloriously scrumptious wedding with ballroom and formal dress followed by happy ever after life. The 50L could be seen as bit like a wedding present list which is totally formal thing to do

please to not waste your money on buying my partner and I as a wedding present some random stuff that we never going to stick in our house anyways. Be discerningly formal please, and  the most helpful wedding present on the list is money

because everybody has a uncle, six times removed from any kind of reality, who can't ever be left off any wedding invite list. Turns up reeking of cheap plonk, insists on scoffing 3 or 5 servings of lobster, truffles and caviar, downs half a dozen bottles of finest champagne, half a bottle of century old malt whiskey and a bottle of chateau port. Annnd bludges havana cigars off the bride's father. After which he staggers out into the garden, collapses on any random person he can find and promptly falls asleep snoring loudly. Having done his duty to the family by gracing them all with his magnificent presence. A magnificence which the family has to pay for because he already spent his allowance on cheap plonk

so, because of that uncle what comes and scoffs everything without making any contribution to what he scoffs, then I decided to join the bride's group and give a wedding present of 50L.  So that drunky uncle will not be so much of a financial burden on the bride and groom on their special day

is either that, or I just give the person 50L as a thank you present for the all joy and happiness that Frank's brought to many people down the years, even if is an activity I never engaged in myself

altho! drunky uncle is good as well 😺

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Nothing, rofl, but it's being advertised and pushed towards people all over the dang place (or at least in a lot of the groups I'm in, I've seen the notices and group messages)...which just makes my cynicism grow exponentially.

I wish people well, but a money grab is a pretty crappy way to go out, imo. Unless the goal is to return to the crappy rep it had for a while, in which case...perfect way lol. 

Yeah.

I've never liked Frank's. In fact, I've enjoyed, often, actively disliking Frank's. (It has to be said that there is a bit of a snobbish appeal to denigrating Frank's.) 

But de mortuis nihil nisi bonum, and all that, I suppose. I am genuinely sorry that it's closing; even if I dislike it, I don't wish it ill. And I'm also sorry that there are evidently those who will feel its absence keenly.

Maybe (she said archly) this will mean that someone will fill the apparent void that it leaves behind with a place that isn't tacky, plays good jazz, and isn't (*cough cough*) "elite." I'd like that, personally.

• Like 9

I'm sad to hear this since that is where I met my husband who I've taken things to rl with. I never would of met him had it not been for Frank's. In that aspect, I will always be thankful for the venues.

I would get dressed up and go hang out there listening to music on my own. It was enjoyable since I absolutely love the old time atmosphere and jazz music.

Now I'm wondering if Sweethearts still exists. I'm going to have to grab my hubby and see.

• Like 3

Someone help me out  (brain fuzz)   Was it less Elite 10 years ago there?  I seem to remember somewhere in my early days that was great fun and not ballroom but did have a lot of stores selling ball gowns on the way in.   I have a memory of being there the day Michael Jackson died and a spontaneous line of people all dressed as him breaking out into the Thriller dance.  

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about this. While it's always sad to see a longstanding venue close, and I did visit Bogart's on occasion, I did not like Frank's. They didn't even play actual jazz half the time (modern R&B with a saxophone in it is NOT jazz).  And dropping the fee to L$50 still feels like a money-grab to me. Which is the better deal, L$500 for 13 years, or L$50 for ten days? It wouldn't have done her any harm to open it up for free.

Still, I wish Nanceee well for her wedding and life with her new husband. SL venues rarely close for happy reasons, I guess this is one of the exceptions.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Thats why I take my alt with me, if I go to a ballroom.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But de mortuis nihil nisi bonum, and all that, I suppose. I am genuinely sorry that it's closing; even if I dislike it, I don't wish it ill.

Frank's isn't closing at all. Only the cash-grab side of the business is closing. You know, the one that was supposed to be "forever" and still is?

12 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I don’t even know what it is, but it’s 90% off so it must be a good deal. That logic has always served me well in the past. 

Though, if you don't buy into it at all, you'll save 100%! /me ponders which is the better bargain...

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

So Franks had an Elite lounge where the Elite could go after paying the L$500 fee?

Yesterday, although it wasn't busy, it was laggy. My first tp didn't work, my second left me falling from a plane without a parachute for  well, at least a couple of minutes. Then walking was like against a 100mph hurricane.

What I'd like to see is a directory of places, which is easier to navigate than the destinations guide. I'm all for dressing up, but apart from Franks,  I haven't found anywhere so formal. 

I like Dancing in the Clouds, but although intimate, it's usually deserted when I go.

Fogbound and Muddys are just too crowded and laggy. Most of the others are deserted, so clubbing is not my favourite pastime......even though it's really my favourite pastime......... :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

So Franks had an Elite lounge where the Elite could go after paying the L$500 fee?

Yesterday, although it wasn't busy, it was laggy. My first tp didn't work, my second left me falling from a plane without a parachute for  well, at least a couple of minutes. Then walking was like against a 100mph hurricane.

What I'd like to see is a directory of places, which is easier to navigate than the destinations guide. I'm all for dressing up, but apart from Franks,  I haven't found anywhere so formal. 

I like Dancing in the Clouds, but although intimate, it's usually deserted when I go.

Fogbound and Muddys are just too crowded and laggy. Most of the others are deserted, so clubbing is not my favourite pastime......even though it's really my favourite pastime......... :)

One benefit of web-search is that Places shows the number of avatars in a region or venue right now (or at least within the last hour). So if you open the web search (LL viewer, Catznip - optional, is it an option in FS? I forget) and search places for Dancing - you'll see the most active right now places. Foxy's (I think it's that one) seems to be very active around the middle of SL day (and is the one major competitor to Frank's Place, but not sure if they are still around). Franks was in its prime when their DJs played actual ballroom style music, including the Frank Sinatra (Frank's Place namesake) style classics. They don't do that so much anymore and haven't in a long time as far as I know. They have been slipping in popularity ever since (by way of attrition as more people started going to the more contemporary competitors.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

That's an interesting idea. I'd prolly do something like that, but I keep opting for actually-fun things to do instead. Hahaha

I did enjoy it, just like I enjoy the occasional club visit in general. Its just that visiting a ballroom alone made me look like a forever-alone, between all those couples. So I dressed up an alt in a nice outfit and dragged her with me as a fancy accessory.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.