What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was at a store when an av who was 6 days old IMs me "Hi, I'm new to this game. I've been saving up lindens through contests and camping. I've got 490 and I want a body and skins for 700. I'm so sorry to do this but would you be able to spare any lindens for me?"

I just don't get that. Like.. why do that!?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e478a63ec32765dcf336b

Hmf!

My neck hurts just watching this. Even when I was more limber and I tried doing this dramatic hair/head toss as a bit of a lark, I inevitably would wrench my neck and it would hurt for days. It kinda loses the fabulousness effect when that happens...

• Haha 1

Todays pet peeve: stupid selfish, uncaring... people. (God, I just bit my tongue so hard there.)

See those two regions flanking the Catwa store regions, with void water regions separating them?

selfishbastards.jpg.ee1add48584a71f727d306703a137938.jpg

Those are residential regions. People live there. And because we've had to restrict access to both stores to just 20 people per region (as well as auto-restart each region to clear out all avatars every hour, because both stores are under incredibly heavy load right now with hundreds of TP hammers aimed at them) those stupid, selfish, uncaring... *grits teeth* people are teleporting into other people's home areas to stand on the edge like it's a cam-region.

The people living in those regions have sent IMs to several of us to beg us to do something. We've put notice after notice into group chat, imploring people NOT to do that. Do they care? Do they %S$!.

I'm exhausted, after more than six hours of dealing with hundreds and hundreds of people whining, complaining, and trolling - answering the same two or three questions hundreds and hundreds of times - after a night of insomnia in which I got zero sleep. Leave the chat running for 30 minutes to grab some food, come back to almost 500 messages. I'm running on fumes, and I eventually had to just log out, because otherwise I may have let rip with some good old Anglo-Saxon words.

Stupid, selfish, uncaring... ARGH! I am so so so damn well DONE today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 14

22 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

people are teleporting into other people's home areas to stand on the edge like it's a cam-region.

Wow! A lot of people don't know how SL works, or they're so desperate that they hope the Catwa regions will magically appear if they stare long enough. Take care of yourself. There's not much you can do for a swarm of locusts.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Wow! A lot of people don't know how SL works, or they're so desperate that they hope the Catwa regions will magically appear if they stare long enough. Take care of yourself. There's not much you can do for a swarm of locusts.

It's been pretty... stressful. That's all I'll say. I'll log back in for another round of it after I've slept for about, ooh, 12 hours or something. :|

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

Todays pet peeve: stupid selfish, uncaring... people. (God, I just bit my tongue so hard there.)

I know the pain. Back in the days when one very popular quarterly event didn't had its own region yet and used to just rent one every time it was on, I happened to rent a corner 1/4 parcel in residental region that was the "closest" (on the world map it is; roughly same distance as on your pictures) to their Xmas round's place, which had a lot of gifts to make traffic to it even worse. And yep, exactly the same situation happened, hordes of people invading the region, bumping into security orb every second (getting sent home and coming back for another round right away).

I even put a big (like really big, 15-20m) prim with text on it, which said "No, you can't camera shop from this region.". It didn't really help too much, though.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

It's been pretty... stressful. That's all I'll say.

I'd love to grab the head, but I'm in absolutely no rush - especially with the sh*t-show of idiots crowding the regions. Any idea how long the head will be available?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'd love to grab the head, but I'm in absolutely no rush - especially with the sh*t-show of idiots crowding the regions. Any idea how long the head will be available?

As long as it needs to be. We have no set end date for it. You have plenty of time :)

ETA: If I do get an end date I'll let you know. It could be several days, it could be a week, it could be longer. I honestly don't know. Catwa's words on her FB post were: "Do not worry. I will not end the offer until you all get the chance to grab the head."

What I do know is that all the people going utterly, frantically bonkers Don't. Need. To. If anything, they might force Catwa to remove the gift early, and I know she doesn't want to do that, but if this carries on then she may have no choice.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'd like a copy, please, of when the facade crumbles and you let rip with the good old Anglo Saxon words. Like, I'd even pay to see it.

Oh, those have already been let rip behind the monitor, believe me. ;) I know when my patience and temper are wearing thin, and that's when I always step back. Every now and then a little sliver of irritation might gleam through a crack in the facade, but I haven't truly blown my top at anyone since I was in my 20s.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, InventedSuicide said:

My biggest gripe with SL is that some men think just because I reply to their IM’s they’re entitled to start being sexual towards me & then get mad when I reject their advances..

Consent is a thing in SL too people!! 

Exactly!!!! And if we don't reply then we're called names. We can't win!!

This frustrates me so much. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

The people living in those regions have sent IMs to several of us to beg us to do something. We've put notice after notice into group chat, imploring people NOT to do that.

Perhaps a friendly sponsorship of a couple of security devices might be a generous act towards those home owners... though, well, it probably wouldn't help you guys in the support group, because folks would start crying, "I can't get into the cam shoppin sims!" "There are no such sims, go play hunting flashing lights on the motorway instead!". 

Might sound like a *****-move joke, but I'm actually serious. 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

As long as it needs to be. We have no set end date for it. You have plenty of time :)

ETA: If I do get an end date I'll let you know. It could be several days, it could be a week, it could be longer. I honestly don't know. Catwa's words on her FB post were: "Do not worry. I will not end the offer until you all get the chance to grab the head."

What I do know is that all the people going utterly, frantically bonkers Don't. Need. To. If anything, they might force Catwa to remove the gift early, and I know she doesn't want to do that, but if this carries on then she may have no choice.

The lack of an end date is why people are going bonkers.

I know Catwa might mean well by making it open ended, and is most likely genuine when she says that "I will not end the offer until you all get the chance to grab the head."... but without any actual guidance, this will be interpreted as a flash sale that will likely be over in a couple of days. 

If she had said something like "sale will be open until at least the end of the month", then in the small print explain that she would consider extending the sale if there was still the demand, the rush wouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

I also think the arbitrary limit of 20 avatars on the sim is likely exacerbating this problem, as the minority who will afk and body-block slots will have a far greater impact on the throughput of customers than with a normal region.

I shall pray for your soul as you wade through the hordes that don't understand that customer service doesn't make commercial decisions.

• Like 7

My pet peeve is people who alt cam-teleport sit into skyboxes that I'm in. 

It's like, it just seems rude and intrusive to barge in, I mean most of the time these people I would have let them in if they had requested teleport or if they had im'd me to ask 'mind if I join you' or any form of courtesy really. 

The worst is when you're having a private conversation with a friend and they're sharing personal things or you're sharing personal things with them and you get interrupted like this. 

19 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

I was at a store when an av who was 6 days old IMs me "Hi, I'm new to this game. I've been saving up lindens through contests and camping. I've got 490 and I want a body and skins for 700. I'm so sorry to do this but would you be able to spare any lindens for me?"

I just don't get that. Like.. why do that!?

Simple - because it works!  From 'live aid', to Roma gypsies outside your local supermarket, it works and has for Centuries!  Back in the UK, I once watched a beggar gain a fair amount of cash, then at the end of his day followed him 600yards to where he'd parked his BMW and drive off....probably to his nice home! 

15 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Stupid, selfish, uncaring... ARGH! I am so so so damn well DONE today.

I sympathize with you mate, truly, but did you really expect anything else? One of the biggest industries in SL who charge over 5,000L$ for items on average, uses the trigger word "free" for such an item....and nobody expects the world, his wife and their dog to stampede to their store on the first day? Come on! (I never saw the ad' but have heard that the other trigger word "limited" was also in there?).
Sticking notices in group chat won't help much either because most of those folk probably aren't in the group and as you have to be in it to get the head, can't get in the store to join, so they won't see anything! If there's a reason I'm missing for her to want stampedes at her stores? then I apologise, but it all just seems so obvious and ridiculous to me to have done it this way!

4 hours ago, ClariceRose said:

Exactly!!!! And if we don't reply then we're called names. We can't win!!

You "win" by knowing you dodged a bullet and that guy would never be "Mr Right"!  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

My pet peeve is people who alt cam-teleport sit into skyboxes that I'm in. 

It's like, it just seems rude and intrusive to barge in, I mean most of the time these people I would have let them in if they had requested teleport or if they had im'd me to ask 'mind if I join you' or any form of courtesy really. 

The worst is when you're having a private conversation with a friend and they're sharing personal things or you're sharing personal things with them and you get interrupted like this. 

Probably a dumb question but what is “alt cam-teleport”? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

You "win" by knowing you dodged a bullet and that guy would never be "Mr Right"!  

I'm not satisfied with that. (Who says we were looking for Mr Right at the time anyway?) I won't consider us to have won until it either stops happening completely (I know) or at the very least stops happening with so much frequency that it is easily recognisable and relatable to every woman. I'm not satisfied with "well now I know he's a d***" and absolutely no consequences beyond that. Chances are I knew he was an arsehole from the nature of the initial approach anyway. I want it to be less acceptable than it apparently must be, given how often it happens.

Obviously this isn't going to happen in a world where "feminist" is still used as a go-to insult, and where an international campaign to highlight how serious and ubiquitous sexual harassment is will still be criticised as Going Too Far. You know, because a few women in a particular online community seemed more frightened than is apparently acceptable, or weren't nice enough when they talked about harassment and abuse. Or possibly even made nasty misandristic comments, which of course are unacceptable and wrong, but still don't invalidate an entire global movement of other women speaking about how often they have been told to "choke on ****" or worse. Much as some people seem to think they should.

But it would be nice.

A few of my peeves right there. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.