What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:37 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

Give me women, wine and snuff,

Until I cry out, "Hold, enough!"

You may do so sans objection

Till the day of resurrection.

For, bless my beard, they aye shall be

My beloved Trinity.

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā - John Keats

(And people think he was so romantic!)

So that's where Little Feat drew their inspiration for Weed, Whites and Wine.

Ā 

• Like 2

Stores that add you to subscription lists for daring to visit. And then refusing to take you off it.

Like, please. I can just mute you, and that behaviour guarantees beyond the shadow of a doubt that I will not only not buy anything, I will also tell every shopping friend I have to not enter your spam hazard of a sim.

I'm disappointed that reporting that kind of stuff doesn't do anything, though. :(

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Stores that add you to subscription lists for daring to visit. And then refusing to take you off it.

Like, please. I can just mute you, and that behaviour guarantees beyond the shadow of a doubt that I will not only not buy anything, I will also tell every shopping friend I have to not enter your spam hazard of a sim.

I'm disappointed that reporting that kind of stuff doesn't do anything, though. :(

OMGĀ  I suffered one of those the other day.Ā  TP'd to see a demo and landed on a prim at the fixed landing point.Ā  Thankfully it did thank me in local for joining the subscribo so my first job was to find the unsubscribe.Ā  I let that go and bought the item anyway.Ā  Then on unpacking it at home it added me once again so I had to tp BACK to the store and unsubscribe myself.Ā  In the end it didn't work with my landscaping so I binned it anyway but I won't be going back for anything else.Ā Ā 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I had to deal with that with an event. So story time with Sammy again. So this was about 2 years ago, I went to check out this said event. Got what I wanted and got the heck out. A week later, I get this thing reminding me of said event in my local. So I was like okay, I never clicked anything to be put into the subscribomatic. So I go to the group, and ask them to take me off the list, that I never clicked anything to subscribe. About a month or so passes, and I get it again. So once more, I ask in the group. Again, no one says anything. Give it another month or two later, I get another thing. So I again ask, got told to go to an LM to unsubscribe. I'm thinking, at long last I can get the heck out of this thing. Come to find the LM takes me to someone's land, that had an orb and told me I had 30 seconds to leave the land. Go back home, and tell them. That they gave me the wrong LM. Then another month or so passes, and I get it again. And I went in group and asked. I got berated and belittled, and the owner messages me. I was ejected and banned from said group for harrassing. Now keep in mind, I only asked about it 3-4 times over 5 or 6 months. So to me that wasn't harassing. To make a long story short, I am never allowed in that group, but the owner finally took me out when she banned me from said group. I was nice and polite about it, and I even took some attacks here and there. But yeah, the grievance of being put in a subscription list, without your consent. It's a pain in the bum, and hard as heck to get yourself out.

• Like 3

When someone asks a question and the first response doesnā€™t answer the question, then derails the entire thread.

Person with a question: Hi, I was unpacking this box and now itā€™s stuck on my head. What do I do? Help, Iā€™ve been trying to figure this out for two hours.

First response: Canā€™t really help you with your question.Ā 
But! Anybody remember when they were new and had a box stuck on their head? Post pictures of yourself when you were a noob and had a box stuck on your head!

*following posts stick with the derail*

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

When someone asks a question and the first response doesnā€™t answer the question, then derails the entire thread.

Person with a question: Hi, I was unpacking this box and now itā€™s stuck on my head. What do I do? Help, Iā€™ve been trying to figure this out for two hours.

But! Anybody remember when they were new and had a box stuck on their head? Post pictures of yourself when you were a noob and had a box stuck on your head!

One person's pet peeve is another person's entertainment.Ā Ā :D

Ā 

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

And I went in group and asked. I got berated and belittled, and the owner messages me. I was ejected and banned from said group for harrassing.

Aha! So, the moral of that story is to cause problems (real or otherwise) in the group's chat and get thrown out of the group!

I'm only a little kidding here.

Like others have said, it can be a nightmare to be rid of these groups/subscriptions, so all's fair in love and war, etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

/me waves hand sheepishly

"Hi, I'm Seicher Rae, and I derail threads..."

"Hi Seicher Rae! Welcome to Pet Peevers Anonymous."

Granted, I rarely derail so quickly into a thread. I generally post a tangential thought well into the conversation, once the thread is already unravelling a bit. I also don't plan on it being a derail (unless it is one of those endless bickering thread devolves and then I have been known to be amusingly creative (amusing at least to me)).Ā  Heck, I know I peeved people off in this thread several weeks ago when it derailed (not by plan) into a chili thread. Wut?

/me sobs, "I'm someone's pet peeve!"

/me looks around and does a little Mona Lisa smile...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

Here's a new one

People who add me, we talk afterwards but then I never hear from them. You remove these people and THEN they IM you confused as to why you deleted them....

šŸ¤¦

To add to this,said person probably put in more effort tryna to get me to re-add them then they did before. It left me wondering why they didn't make that much effort before, they wouldn't have gotten deleted then šŸ˜‚

Edited by IvyLarae
  • Like 2

Getting into a busy shopping event on the first day, grabbing theĀ demos, and leaving to try them on like a good human being, and then not being able to get back into the event to purchase things because they have a freaking DJ on freaking opening day taking up a fricking spot encouraging people to not fricking leave because it's a fricking live DJ.Ā 

I can't get back in to getting my freaking heaux clothes.

Edit: Never mind.Ā 

Edited by Beth Macbain
Got it, bought things.
  • Like 5

It could have been any viewer, but it just so happened it was Black Dragon this time. I have insomnia (again) and so eff it I logged in and was taking photos. This was the first time for me with BD and underwater, so fidget, fuss, clickety, sliders, etc etc and right as I thought I had everything just about right to take the shot...

image.png.2a30a2da1c8464a6486775ed73a2e642.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Yup .. that's what you see (above) ...

gotcha.png.2f0614ebed4c88d1c0fb8ad9ce4ffb9b.png

.. but basically this is what everyone gets ... :|

Ā 

ETA : Not an actual screenshot of Black Dragon-client by NiranV !Ā 

Ā 

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

Here's a new one

People who add me, we talk afterwards but then I never hear from them. You remove these people and THEN they IM you confused as to why you deleted them....

šŸ¤¦

I remove people when I have forgotten who they are or how I know them. When they ask, I tell them that.Ā šŸ˜„

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

It could have been any viewer, but it just so happened it was Black Dragon this time. I have insomnia (again) and so eff it I logged in and was taking photos. This was the first time for me with BD and underwater, so fidget, fuss, clickety, sliders, etc etc and right as I thought I had everything just about right to take the shot...

What did you do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

What did you do?

I dunno, zigged when I should have zagged? Took a wrong turn at Albuquerque? Forgot to feed the meter? ...

I did nuthin' wrong! I've gotten this with Firestorm in the past, if I ever used the LL viewer I'm sure I would have gotten it with it. Like I said, it could have happened with any viewer. But this instance was particularly annoying due to its timing. Poof!

7 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Getting into a busy shopping event on the first day, grabbing theĀ demos, and leaving to try them on like a good human being, and then not being able to get back into the event to purchase things because they have a freaking DJ on freaking opening day taking up a fricking spot encouraging people to not fricking leave because it's a fricking live DJ.Ā 

Edit: Never mind.Ā 

I never understood why they needed DJs to promote an event, if you have great marketing skills. You wouldn't need to promote your event by using DJs and crowding up the sim for hours.

Ā 

Edited by halebore Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a few SL pet peeves, but my pettiest is when folks show up on the first day or so of an event and their avatar's ridiculously complex.Ā I've derendered or set to show friends only so many times. I get wanting to try demos at the event itself, butĀ goddammit, wear something simpleĀ if you're not going to show up naked and alpha'd.

11 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I totally get this.Ā  I almost never do events, but I've certainly experienced this kind of frustration on the occasions I have. Like you, I never try on demos on site: I always go home to do so. And yeah, getting back in can be a pain.

I will, for a moment anyway, just be a bit of a devil's advocate here.

One of the complaints I've heard about events in SL is that they really are no longer "events" at all, but rather just glorified pop-ups. I entirely get that the majority of people just want to shop, but there was something rather glorious about older style events that featured not just shopping, but also live music, dancing, exhibits, games, and so on. Going to these (for me, anyway) always had something of the excitement of going to a RL fair (in Toronto, we have the huge Canadian National Exhibition to mark the end of summer, although not, I'm guessing, this year). I like the variety, the constant assault upon the sensory organs of visual and auditory noise, the stickiness of cotton candy (metaphorically, in this case), and sheer sense of creative and frequently vulgar chaos. It's why the only event that you can be sure I will be going to will be SLB. And yes, I'll do shopping there, but it's the other stuff that excites me about it.

• Like 4

Obnoxious animated ads in the sidebar at Seraphim. I'm someone whose concentration can be easily and repeatedly broken by something moving in my peripheral vision, so I've now blocked every single animated banner ad in that sidebar. Good luck getting me to shop at your stores when your ads have annoyed me to the point of blocking them, people!

This one right near the bottom (WARNING: rapidly flashing image that may trigger issues for those who are sensitive, hence I'm only linking) is nothing short of downright bloody irresponsible. I'm about to try and find someone to contact so that I can report it.

ETA: I've emailed Seraphim about it, so hopefully it will be removed, or its owner contacted to switch it out for a static one.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

I never understood why they needed DJs to promote an event, if you have great marketing skills. You wouldn't need to promote your event by using DJs and crowding up the sim for hours.

Ā 

They don't need it... the event would be packed even without the DJ. MAYBE later in the month before the event closes, I could see them doing it to bring people back, or entice new people to come, but not opening day.

I get really annoyed when people stand dead center at a landing point and youā€™re hovering over their heads looking silly because they refuse to move. I donā€™t get why people do that. I canā€™t move very far as every time I go to a sim with people, my FPS goes down to like 2.5, not joking. But, I still manage to at least move in case other people show up. Dunno why that annoys me so much but it does.Ā 

Edited by Ashlyn Voir
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.