What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Have to say, I'm not aware of a British equivalent for "ass backwards". Best I can think of is "topsy turvy" which is dated and doesn't quite hit the same note. It's a brilliant phrase and I'm happy to adopt it. You have to pronounce it "ass" rather than "arse" otherwise it doesn't work. 

you can also mix it up and say Back Asswards, people do.

• Like 4

One year when the EdExcel examination board messed up even more than usual, the victims were students who had been sitting their biology A Level. Private Eye ran something like this:

THAT EDEXCEL BIOLOGY A LEVEL EXAM IN FULL

1) Write a detailed essay describing the difference between these two body parts:
a) The arse.
b) The elbow.

2) If you could not answer Question 1, would you like a job at EdExcel?

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

56 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Have to say, I'm not aware of a British equivalent for "ass backwards". Best I can think of is "topsy turvy" which is dated and doesn't quite hit the same note. It's a brilliant phrase and I'm happy to adopt it. You have to pronounce it "ass" rather than "arse" otherwise it doesn't work. 

The nearest I can think of is "arse about face", generally meaning backwards or anything done the wrong way round.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

Ok, I thought I was pretty fluent in 'Americanese' but this "finna" word is proving me wrong!  I admit that I'm over the age of 18 and may not be allowed to understand it but can someone help a fella out here?

Those are Sassy's parents ffs!...."sock puppets"! 🙄

Nope! It just stops you seeing the idio.....person's posts.

It’s a black thing, so not a lot of people on this forum will get it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

It’s a black thing, so not a lot of people on this forum will get it. 

Bless its little heart.

If you can't get a rise out of folks with a special thread, or pictures of sock puppets (with sock puppets being used incorrectly in the context), well the next item on the agenda is to start to bring race into it. At least it sticks to the MO. So much need for attention, so little relevancy.

• Like 2

I'm a bit puzzled by the term "ass backwards".  I mean, yes, I know it's supposed to mean doing something in the wrong order, but...

...one's ass is SUPPOSED to be in the rear.  So, "ass backwards" is actually the RIGHT way around. 

Why don't we say "ass first"??

The idiom makers got it ass backwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Odaks said:

The nearest I can think of is "arse about face", generally meaning backwards or anything done the wrong way round.

Not to be confused with "T1ts up", which means the same as to go "belly up" - something going wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the term "ass backwards".  I mean, yes, I know it's supposed to mean doing something in the wrong order, but...

...one's ass is SUPPOSED to be in the rear.  So, "ass backwards" is actually the RIGHT way around. 

on the off chance that this was meant to be both humorous and serious: One's ass is meant to face to the rear of the body. if it is "backwards" it is facing the wrong way - to the front of the body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Bless its little heart.

If you can't get a rise out of folks with a special thread, or pictures of sock puppets (with sock puppets being used incorrectly in the context), well the next item on the agenda is to start to bring race into it. At least it sticks to the MO. So much need for attention, so little relevancy.

Somehow calling me an it is supposed to get a rise out of me? Go on pretending to rule the SL forums you old ass *****. 

Edited by Ashlyn Voir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Go on pretending to rule the SL forums you old ass *****. 

Did you know that in India and many other parts of the world older people are respected....revered even.   So you have just paid a great compliment to Seicher...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Apparently "it" did. :/

I thought the entire forum was blocked? Did it lie?

ETA: This is my favorite way to get a rise out of something (actually I think this shows something that has risen a bit much...)

image.png.d9e92e88bfb4f3f924001133e0a24fdd.png

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

My pet peeve is feeling like I missed out on enjoying some amusing drama. *sad face* 

An easy peeve to fix. There's enjoyment potential all around. Hope you've eaten, because at least some of it starts making folks hungry.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

An easy peeve to fix. There's enjoyment potential all around. Hope you've eaten, because at least some of it starts making folks hungry.

not me, I've had so much virtual popcorn today, I think I'm going to barf.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi104.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fm198%2Fnarcbliss%2F0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c78.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

^^ Clever self-reference! 👍

• Like 1

The thing that frustrates me most about certain types of people, is when they won't accept that if they say Sh*tty things to people then odds are they are gonna get a sh*tty response and screw it, I'm gonna drop names. @Ashlyn Voir messaged me last night after I asked if I blocked certain people would it keep them from finding this thread, saying that the response she got was unjust and uncalled for, despite all that she has pulled in the past, my response to that was this:

My BIGGEST frustration with you is you say passive aggressive or even condescending stuff and then when people get frustrated with you and voice it you act like the frustrated responses you get aren't just. Granted you may not have this time with the photography post but just a few weeks ago you were saying stuff to clearly get people riled up and then when you got the response you wanted, you started insulting people and saying things like "Okay Karen" or something similar, you even did that THIS time when someone called you out for taking another thread out of context. You're not liked because of your past actions, the thing's you've said and the stuff you have become known for. It's got absolutely NOTHING to do with whose friends with who, I don't talk to these people outside of the forum to be entirely honest

• You whined about not getting as many likes when you posted pictures on the  "How does your avatar look today" thread, even going so far as to say your avi looks better than most that post there, which is a completely subjective thing to say and posting in there isn't a popularity contest like you make it out to be. I posted in there for the first time in months and still got a lot of likes, if it was a popularity contest wouldn't I get the least amount of likes because I'm not in here very much?
  • You talk down and insult everyone to doesn't agree with you, you've shown that side of you MANY times over on the pet peeves thread alone, yet when it gets thrown back at you, you pull the victim card and act like you can't possibly understand why they don't like you
  • You get annoyed when people call you out for misinformation. Your latest peeve for example was you asking why edited photography was frowned upon, then when someone chimed in saying that noone was saying such a thing, or that they were even talking about you (Which they hadn't mention you by name or even described you, you outted yourself there) you once again called them Karen and asked if they had a managed they needed to yell at!

You don't get to be rude, condescending and snarky with people then cry "NOONE LIKES ME" when its those reasons ( and probably others I haven't seen) that people don't like or respond to you very well!

Edited by IvyLarae
Removed quote
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.