What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

33 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Hold down alt and move the cam around until you find a chair or something with sit script.  Then click and sit to "teleport" there.

As someone who ROUTINELY falls into/under mesh landscaping and then cannot get out, alt cam-teleport is a life saver. What's annoying (peeve!) with the way things are made now, it is harder and harder to find a safe prim to just sit on, instead you get "no room to sit here..." (or whatever that message is).  Honestly, I have this gift of being able to find the minute gap in landscaping. I've semi-jokingly suggested at various times that I should just rent out my services/gift to people creating sims to make their places fall proof by pointing out where one can walk into the death traps.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Sorry you are going through this Skell.  As for the freebie, i was able to get in with minimal effort using the tp hammer.  Its lovely.  But I am always overwhelmed by all the possibilities to customize it.  I will prolly wait a month or so then beg for help from the help group.  I'm sure that group is overwhelmed right now too.

• Like 2

It seems like I've seen tons of triangle men lately -- you know, the ones that look like the hulk in the shoulders & chest, but then have a teeny tiny waste and bird-like legs.

How do these people not see how bad that looks?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

Sorry you are going through this Skell.  As for the freebie, i was able to get in with minimal effort using the tp hammer.  Its lovely.  But I am always overwhelmed by all the possibilities to customize it.  I will prolly wait a month or so then beg for help from the help group.  I'm sure that group is overwhelmed right now too.

Amara Beauty is giving out 3 free skins. It's on the front of the building. One is for Catwa, one for Genus and one for Lelutka/BOM

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It seems like I've seen tons of triangle men lately -- you know, the ones that look like the hulk in the shoulders & chest, but then have a teeny tiny waste and bird-like legs.

I'm a fairly broad-shouldered guy (albeit wiry rather than bulky - martial arts as your physical fitness regime will do that to you even if I didn't have a genetic predisposition that way) and I sure don't look like my body was built by a kite-maker in RL. If you know your way around the shape editor you really DONT have to to look like a 'roid-boy, even with bodies like Aesthetic Enzo that have the musclebound look as their default shape - it IS fitted and responds to your sliders!

I see somebody who wears that look when the RL tab of their profile doesn't say "Professional bodybuilder and powerlifter" with at least some credibility... Well, I'm afraid my immediate thought is "All horns and no balls"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, InventedSuicide said:

Probably a dumb question but what is “alt cam-teleport”? 

If someone has turned off camera constraints, they can alt-cam an infinite amount of distance. They'll alt cam the floor and just keep zooming out until they get to some skybox where you are 1000m up in the air. Then they'll sit on some scripted furniture near you such as a chair to 'teleport' into the skybox you're in uninvited.

It's not the act of teleporting this way itself that grates me, but rather when people use it to force themselves into a private space or conversation i'm in

Edited by Extrude Ragu
clarifying
  • Like 1

Although this was mentioned earlier mine today is about Gatcha's that don't give anything.  Me and a friend who recently returned to SL was going around the grid and stopped at a couple of stores.  Although I warned her about playing those things she decided to try one. 2 out of 3 tries it didn't give her anything, but played a sound saying "You pay your money, you take your chances." She was upset although she ignored my warning about those things. Told her most of the times they issue something, but was like the 2nd time I've seen one that shot blanks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Although this was mentioned earlier mine today is about Gatcha's that don't give anything.  Me and a friend who recently returned to SL was going around the grid and stopped at a couple of stores.  Although I warned her about playing those things she decided to try one. 2 out of 3 tries it didn't give her anything, but played a sound saying "You pay your money, you take your chances." She was upset although she ignored my warning about those things. Told her most of the times they issue something, but was like the 2nd time I've seen one that shot blanks.

Wow. I hate gachas in general and will tend to by what I want off of resellers. The big exception is if I don't really care what color or whatever is being offered. But what you describe is a new low. The snarky "you pay your money..." is like adding salt to the wound! I am not a TOS expert (at all, not even close) but that seems like it smacks of pure gambling.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Wow. I hate gachas in general and will tend to by what I want off of resellers. The big exception is if I don't really care what color or whatever is being offered. But what you describe is a new low. The snarky "you pay your money..." is like adding salt to the wound! I am not a TOS expert (at all, not even close) but that seems like it smacks of pure gambling.

The only way I am getting a Gacha, is if they offer a Fatpack on top of pulling.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'd probably AR that gacha.   LL can tell from transaction logs and chat logs that you paid money and received nothing - though you would also need to IM or Notecard the gacha owner to confirm that 'no prize' is valid for that particular gacha.  If the gacha is designed that way, it would definitely fall into a gambling category in my opinion, which is definitely against the TOS.

• Like 7

Yikes. How does this make any sense? It's not as though the merchant saves money by not giving out a prize every time. And even an idiot should be able to recognize that this is merely going to piss off players?

This is more akin to griefing than to vending.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dano Seale said:

There was a thread a few weeks ago going on about scammer's putting invisible prims over the 'pay' slots...might have been one of those?

Good guess, but I'd say "not" since you get the message "you pay your money..." One way to check would be to check the purchase log to see who it went to.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

One way to check would be to check the purchase log to see who it went to.

Yeah, forgot to add that part sorry. Was a while back and things are hazy, something about checking the vendor owner is the same person as the money's going to before hitting "pay" was in there.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, ClariceRose said:

Exactly!!!! And if we don't reply then we're called names. We can't win!!

This frustrates me so much. 

"The only winning move is not to play." 😄 

Seriously, if I don't know you, or don't have a good reason to expect an IM from you, I simply won't reply. I will read it, but if it's something seemingly generic like 'Hey, how you're doing?', I won't reply. Because responding, like you say, is almost invariably interpreted to mean: "Yes, you can now continue to try and pick me up, just because I had the courtesy to respond." You're not my type, and if you are, I will IM YOU! 😁

• Like 1

Speaking of "winning"...

I didn't discover that whole "winning the day" thing on our forum profiles until about a month or two ago. I just don't look at that page much and I surely don't pay attention to likes and things. (I did know the hand slaps from the monitors are there though O.o.) Anyway, that winning the day thing really bugs me. I know there are people who live for likes, as I've been IMed by a few of them because I failed to like their photos. Oy.  So to those people it probably sounds like a humble brag or something, but when I see I've "won" the day it just says to me I'm spending too much time on the Forum. Several times? Uhhhhhh. Wow. I really don't need to know this stuff.

I truly wish they'd get rid of that. 

Is anyone really motivated by that thing?

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2020 at 3:08 PM, Cinos Field said:

Shops in sims that only have a 20 person capacity. Particularly very big brands that could easily afford a full sim...

Or if not a full sim, consider vendors in malls.

They have to do that because if a sim is full (40+ people) it gets under such heavy load that the vendors stop working.

Now, if everyone limited themselves to a completely unscripted avatar with complexity of 5,000 or less, the sims would be able to allow a lot more people in. Personally If I ran a massive event like the Catwa free head thing, I would ban avatars with a script time of more than zero. You don't need your resizeable hair, your fatpack multicolour shoes or your body hud, or even your AO, to go in, grab a freebie and leave. Nobody is going to be looking at you anyway.

On 5/4/2020 at 10:37 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've been seeing men like that since 2006. 

9 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

That sounds like it's against the gaming rules and should probably be AR'd.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

They have to do that because if a sim is full (40+ people) it gets under such heavy load that the vendors stop working.

Really depends on the region's setup. Most popular events allow 40-60, plus 10% premium users on top of that. And as you probably know, no one (almost) ever bothers to descript themselves when they go there, instead a lot of people wear their new shinies they just got at another event, which often includes follower NPCs, various animated attachments and similar things, on top of "usual stuff". And usually vendors work just fine, a little delay in menu pop-ups is tolerable. Moving around is rough of course, so those people who prefer to shop that way might have problems, though.

And then there are events where owners/creators put up some random stuff that uses a lot of simulation and/or physics time, which takes priority over scripts. So after all those scripted vendors use the rest of free script time you have <1% scripts run and that's when using a vendor gets frustrating. Obviously people with their scripted stuff just add to the problem, but I've seen many events (in full regions, not homesteads) with ~5 people in there including myself and script time still bounced between 5% and 10%.

• Like 3

Some of the largest chains like Blueberry, Scandalize etc consistently have 30-50 avatars on them at any one time, and work just fine (even if occasionally a little slow). Many events will spend their first week with even more avatars, often up to the limit with no real issue. So a limit of 20 avatars for performance reasons doesn't seem credible.

After 3 attempts yesterday (i crashed, sim crashed, sims were just too laggy with merely 3 people being inside), i tried to find the ONE jacket today ... again ... with a 4th attempt and gave nearly up after 1 hour walking around all those sims at the fantasy faire ... till i found what i came for. It went pretty much on my nerves because, its just to big for a pleasant shopping experience .... at least for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maitimo said:
On 5/4/2020 at 3:37 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've been seeing men like that since 2006. 

I've seen it since my early days, but then it seemed like it faded a bit for a while - or maybe it was just wherever I happened to be spending time -- but the last few weeks, a month or so maybe, I've been seeing it a lot more again.  I think it is because of all the new & returning folks.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.