How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

10 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

I should put in a Cochon in my New Orleans.  Being the City Manager I could get you reservations :)

Very nice pic.

Thank you!

I'm going to drop by. I'm sure you have nicer restaurants (featuring a more accommodating maître d'hôtel)!

On 5/8/2019 at 7:23 AM, LilacHaze said:

After loitering in the background for quite some time, in awe of most of the photos here, I finally decided to take the plunge and add my first forum photo, please be gentle with me... 

1217091431_Alleycoke2_014.thumb.jpg.e65c900e24fbf594f99e20323dd10a40.jpg

Welcome. 

The people here are pretty gentle. Some of us get into the editing tech... and some of us have jobs that require Photoshop (PS)... but, we know not everyone has PS nor or they interested in learning image editing. When someone asks, we try to answer and provide tutorials.

My take is people here aren't interested in an image being THE BEST it can be. Well, some of us are... It is more about what did you do with your avatar. Yours is cute and elegantly dressed. Nice job.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2019 at 2:01 AM, Saravendi said:

Well, Vanilla,  I hope so... lovely portrait of you. Please keep posting for us to admire. Now, it looks as if there is an eagle 🦅 or bird inflight reflected in your eyes/pupils...? Anyone’s else see that? I love the color palette.

Thank you! I've been following the forums for a while, just finally got the nerve to participate. :) And you're right, it does look like a bird! I hadn't noticed that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Welcome. 

The people here are pretty gentle. Some of us get into the editing tech... and some of us have jobs that require Photoshop (PS)... but, we know not everyone has PS nor or they interested in learning image editing. When someone asks, we try to answer and provide tutorials.

My take is people here aren't interested in an image being THE BEST it can be. Well, some of us are... It is more about what did you do with your avatar. Yours is cute and elegantly dressed. Nice job.

Thank you Nalates.

I just wanted to add to the 'How does your avatar look today?' forum, instead of just standing on the sidelines. I didn't really think about an edit and tweak in PS, it would mean I'm fussing over one photo for far too long.....that's time I could spend shopping for more shoes and hair.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, LilacHaze said:

Thank you Nalates.

I just wanted to add to the 'How does your avatar look today?' forum, instead of just standing on the sidelines. I didn't really think about an edit and tweak in PS, it would mean I'm fussing over one photo for far too long.....that's time I could spend shopping for more shoes and hair.

The most post-processing I do to my pics here is to crop them and sometimes click an 'auto-adjust' button in my freebie old-old-old photo editing software. All that button does is adjust the brightness and/or contract a bit, based on how the editor views the picture.  I sometimes keep the adjustment and sometimes don't.  Once in a blue moon I might manually adjust the brightness and/or contrast.  That is it - no other processing.  Further processing just doesn't really interest me - at least not enough to use any of my already tight time to learn how.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The most post-processing I do to my pics here is to crop them and sometimes click an 'auto-adjust' button in my freebie old-old-old photo editing software. All that button does is adjust the brightness and/or contract a bit, based on how the editor views the picture.  I sometimes keep the adjustment and sometimes don't.  Once in a blue moon I might manually adjust the brightness and/or contrast.  That is it - no other processing.  Further processing just doesn't really interest me - at least not enough to use any of my already tight time to learn how.

I almost never post pics that haven't been at least minimally processed through PS. Probably a third of the time, that might be nothing more than a crop (I always crop), an adjustment of brightness/contrast and saturation, and maybe smoothing a few ragged edges. Another third of the time, I might "repair" something that went wrong with the mesh -- hair cutting through something, alpha glitching, and so on. And maybe a third of the time, I do something pretty radically transformative.

I think a key point is that post-processing doesn't produce "good" pictures. It makes good pictures -- ones that were well composed, lit, and so forth, in-world -- a bit better. And maybe it makes poor pictures a little less awful, although probably not.

Producing a "good" picture is, in any case, almost a marginal goal. The real point of the pics here, for me, is to clothe the names and voices with a visual that makes the people here more substantial and real. I love being able to fit a face to a name or a post.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 8

55 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I almost never post pics that haven't been at least minimally processed through PS. Probably a third of the time, that might be nothing more than a crop (I always crop), an adjustment of brightness/contrast and saturation, and maybe smoothing a few ragged edges. Another third of the time, I might "repair" something that went wrong with the mesh -- hair cutting through something, alpha glitching, and so on. And maybe a third of the time, I do something pretty radically transformative.

I think a key point is that post-processing doesn't produce "good" pictures. It makes good pictures -- once that were well composed, lit, and so forth, in-world -- a bit better. And maybe it makes poor pictures a little less awful, although probably not.

Producing a "good" picture is, in any case, almost a marginal goal. The real point of the pics here, for me, is to clothe the names and voices with a visual that makes the people here more substantial and real. I love being able to fit a face to a name or a post.

I definitely post process in PS, however not always, and when a shot is perfect without any need for processing, all the better. So, I completely agree with Scylla (always agree with her...  usually) only to add from my point of view, that all the new posts make this particular thread all the more enjoyable! 

All you guys sitting on the fence... this is a very cool, chill and safe place to post! Most of us seasoned posters are thrilled to see anything you have and more then happy to help you guys out. You don’t need any post processing skills, just click away and upload! Also, feel free to comment and like, and in no time you’ll be apart of our gang of maniacal 😈 posers!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think a key point is that post-processing doesn't produce "good" pictures. It makes good pictures -- ones that were well composed, lit, and so forth, in-world -- a bit better. And maybe it makes poor pictures a little less awful, although probably not.

I hardly ever do anything with pictures before posting them.  I don't have PS, though I do have Gimp, and I've figured out how to crop and how to change picture formats, but trying anything more than that frustrates me to no end (and even those I only do when I feel it's absolutely necessary).  I think I have an allergy to photo-imaging software. 

Mainly I take pictures in-world more for myself as a scrapbook of my adventures in SL, and if I really like one that I take, I might post it here or in the 'what are you doing today' thread, depending on which one I feel is most appropriate for the contents of the picture.

I do appreciate all the wonderful pictures others post, and even read through most of the tips and tricks for getting/creating better pictures that get posted here, but a lot of it goes in one ear and out the other.

• Like 5

I only recently started using PS, and am having a lot of fun playing with it and learning what can be done with it. It's also pretty amazing the kinds of repairs and "fixes" that can be made to the clipping and weird looking arm and leg bends with poses. So for me, the post processing is part of the fun of taking pics.  I enjoy the many different types of pics that are posted in this thread, processed or raw. Everyone has something worthwhile to contribute!  Pardon any wine typos. 

• Like 7