Poll: Do you always, sometimes, or never accept an Experience invitation when you enter a sim?

Unfortunately it does not appear that the forums here have poll functionality so we'll do it the old fashioned way and just chat about it lol. And I understand that users of this forum are not representative of the general in-world SL population, but I'm interested nonetheless.

Also, I think pretty much any opinion on the matter is valid; there are good reasons to make Experiences a requirement of a sim and there are good reasons to be concerned about Experiences with respect to the potential for them to be abused.

Personally, I think it would be great if LL segmented experiences into say three "levels", with level one allowing environmental and movement (tp) control, and level 3 being the full range of current controls. But that's never going to happen. :/

• Like 1

I don't generally go anywhere I don't want to be, and if I find that a new place turns out to be somewhere I don't like then I leave.  So I'm less likely to encounter requests to accept Experiences that I don't want, and indeed I can't think of any I've refused.  In short, I'd say 'Always'.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The only places I've been that offer an Experience on entry, I've no problem accepting. One is a shopping and, I think, RP place (I was there for shopping) and you cannot even enter without accepting it. If it was, let's say, a much more 'adult' place, then I still wouldn't have much issue accepting it and seeing what happens, but I see my avatar as just that, not as me. It's easy enough to retract permission and leave.

Even my own land offers an experience... it gives limited access to my click-TP system and warns of some 'demonic' consequences if you wander off the beaten path (nothing nasty; it's all in fun - and should I ever get it finished will be quite impressive I like to think).

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 4

Sometimes I do, but never always. I also look at what experience it is in the About Land as well before choosing yes. There are a few more factors as well, like how much do I have faith in the place and how long have they been around , as well as who's it is and do I know them well enough to click yes. Things like that.

• Like 2

It all depends.  If I'm just somewhere to take a picture and not expecting to spend too much time, I might not accept.  If it's a place that I want to enjoy the entire experience, then I'd be fine with it.  It really has nothing to do with my comfort with experiences overall but what I'm looking to do at any given spot.

One store used experiences in order to get me where I wanted to go to make a purchase.  There was no other choice.  THAT kind of ticked me off.   I think they have since changed that.

• Like 2

It depends. I play a gym game and some of the gyms are in roleplay communities and they want me to add the RP hud. I always reject and block those.  If it's an art installation which relies on auto-teleporting and certain camera angles in order to get the fullest experience, I'll accept.

• Like 1

I decline everything by habit, usually you land in a store and something is spamming you with notecards, landmarks, group invitations, experiences and subscriptions. Decline. Decline. Decline.

When it's a sim I have reasons to be on beyond browsing, I have no issue with joining the experience.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Never on first visit, and never without checking first the ”Experience profile”, its owner, its purpose, etc.

I may accept an experience when really needing it (sadly, some teleporters require it and some sims place their arrival pad away with a TP-locked arrival point, meaning you must use their experience-based teleporter).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On arrival, I simply never accept and just leave.
When I want to do something specific on a sim (let's say use the dance machine) and it needs accepting an experience I will.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Never on first visit, and never without checking first the ”Experience profile”, its owner, its purpose, etc.

I may accept an experience when really needing it (sadly, some teleporters require it and some sims place their arrival pad away with a TP-locked arrival point, meaning you must use their experience-based teleporter).

^ THIS ^

'll enable experiences for furniture  own, like AVSitter, but all that Failed Artiste Wannabe "You must accept my forced Zero Talent EgoWh*re Vision or die" crap, not a chance. No way 'm letting them mess with my windlight and camera settings, or force sit me on some dreadful fairground ride though their "art".

• Like 3

Very, very rarely. Mostly the everything and the kitchen sink nature of the request always has me go "what the heck you need the permission to animate my avatar for? This is a Wendy's!"

I know they likely don't but I'm also not gonna go and find out the hard way

Speaking as someone that's made experience scripts for places myself and expects people to accept them- Never right away, although I'll go back and accept it if I decide I need it or it's worth it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ValKalAstra said:

Very, very rarely. Mostly the everything and the kitchen sink nature of the request always has me go "what the heck you need the permission to animate my avatar for? This is a Wendy's!"

I know they likely don't but I'm also not gonna go and find out the hard way

That's one thing I hate about them as someone that creates them; I'm making a teleporter. Why are you threatening the end user with animations, LL?

• Like 2

Almost always unless I know I'm only going to be there a few minutes for some narrow purpose. They're so trivially easy to disable if they were to cause a problem, which they won't because the experience would go away after a report or two.

That's in contrast to everything else that typically bombards a new arrival. If I wanted to join the group or take the landmark or visit the marketplace store, etc., I could do that all on my own. At least with the experience it's possible they could be doing something interesting.

• Like 5

I've been doing a certain grid-wide hunt that rhymes with BadFee, and numerous participating locations have had experiences. I reject all of them, unless it's absolutely required to access the point where they hid the hunt object.   There are a couple I just reject anyway because their object locations annoy me, so I just TP to another hunt location rather than jump through hoops. 

I've noticed some of these locations also offer me chat extenders and other unwanted objects as soon as I arrive.  I reject those too. 

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Almost always unless I know I'm only going to be there a few minutes for some narrow purpose. They're so trivially easy to disable if they were to cause a problem, which they won't because the experience would go away after a report or two.

I agree. I almost always accept an Experience. They are there to enhance my use of the region and, as Qie says, they are trivially easy to disable if I decide they aren't living up to expectations. 

• Like 4

Only if they are needed for in-store's teleportation, which is a silly way to do it, because simple sit-to-teleport way does exactly the same without any extra steps (like moving through certain objects to trigger an experience event). Never for anything else.

I am surprised that stores use experiences...if I ran a store I likely would not, unless it was some place like Vae Victus where it's kinda more than just a store.

I'm a lighting nut and I use experiences on my sim to customize the EEP for different areas...I think I have 12 right now. It allows me to get the lighting mostly right so I can use fewer local lights, just to highlight things.

I also use it to power an elevator system...touch the appropriate button and off you go without some annoying dialog box.

What got me curious is discussions with several members of the "never" camp. They were adamant that I should retool those elements of the sim that are powered by experiences so that they are not required. They were really quite forceful about it. So I wanted to know how many others like them are out there. Of course, I have no clue based on visitors because I'm assuming the "never" camp just up and leaves without a word.

I'm not going to change anything. And it would be good if LL came up with some way of making it more secure that does not require users to read and understand a bunch of text or go rooting around in the about land box.

• Like 3

I almost always accept. Usually it's places I visit that might benefit from it more of a sight-seeing type of thing. I enabled one for a salon that put blowdryers and stuff in peoples hands if they enabled it.  I haven't seen them used in a bad way ever. If I got into a predicament I can log or teleport out and disable. Not worried.

• Like 2