Ladies and Gay Guys: Do you think this guy is handsome?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

If the gender descriptions were swapped on that statement it would be tremendously problematic.  Men come in all shapes, degrees of cultural definitions of masculinity, etc.  Taste is one thing; defining "what makes a man" is quite another.

He's attractive to me.  Maybe not my type?  But the visual is good.

Why does the gender need to be swapped to be tremendously problematic? Shouldn't that statement using any gender be tremendously problematic?

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Um, Lindal, please can we not use terms like "poncy"? They are freighted with all sorts of homophobic subtexts.

Yes, yes, I'm being all "PC" -- but really, honestly, it's just about being considerate. It's about not using language that carries for many extremely insulting associations and meanings. There are other ways to express this idea that don't make it sound as though we've forgotten the last 40 years of work in accepting gay men for who they are.

My grandad used poncy all the time. He was from England. 

pon·cy
/ˈpänsē/

adjective INFORMAL•BRITISH
pretentious or affected.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

My grandad used poncy all the time. He was from England. 

pon·cy
/ˈpänsē/

adjective INFORMAL•BRITISH
pretentious or affected.

I don't doubt it.

And I'm equally and genuinely sure it was not meant at all as a homophobic reference.

• Like 1

Coming late to the party.  It is impossible to tell from a clothed picture if he is attractive or not.  He might be.

In the flesh, clothes drape differently on attractive men, so it's not the same.

But, I am not attracted to men who are much over 6 ft, or clearly use gym-time to make top-end muscle, so I guess I am odd...

In SL I call them Gorillas.  He isn't one of those, at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Why does the gender need to be swapped to be tremendously problematic? Shouldn't that statement using any gender be tremendously problematic?.

Of course.  The point is that swapping the genders would make it more obvious.  We'd be rightly outraged if women were essentially being told they had to meet some arbitrary cultural standard of "softness" and femininity, so it's just as outrageous that it would be applied to men.

But I think you knew that.  Sorry if I'm wrong... I'm only one cuppa into my normal caffeination for the day.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2022 at 6:00 AM, Aiyumei said:

Doesn't look manly enough for my taste. You can tell by that innocent look and soft hands that he's never had to do any hard labor that builds up men and defines them as what they are, the stronger gender.

I'll pass.

So, what are you doing this weekend? I think that 75-year-olds are hott.

1 hour ago, Karl Herber said:

I found a pic of him when he's not dressed up as Prince Charming:

Oh. That's interesting. And here I'd been thinking the OP showed a guy who needed no time in hair and makeup.

Now that I think about it, the best hair and makeup looks effortless. Just as every profession, I guess.

Dentistry especially!

(To the actual question, as a gay, not my type, but gotta admire the storybook looks: symmetrical and all that smooth jazz. )

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

So, what are you doing this weekend? I think that 75-year-olds are hott.

Glad you asked. I'm planning to go hiking with friends. Clean the house, cook for next week, do my weekend workout session and socialize with friends.

What are you doing this weekend other than commenting on other people's views and opinions and being picky about it?

Edited by Aiyumei

17 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This cuts both ways, doesn't it?

If someone calls me a "ho" or a "b*tch," regardless of their understanding of those words, they've done a pretty good job of making communication with me a whole lot harder.

I'll repeat -- the point of being careful about the language we use isn't to impose a set of "rules" -- it's to make communication better and easier because we're using language that doesn't also imply negative stereotypes.

And the point of correcting people -- gently, so, one would hope -- is not to revel in "gotcha" moments. It's to make communication easier for them, and ensure that they are not unintentionally alienating or insulting people when they speak.

I don't believe that either of the people addressed above are homophobic. I think they are using outdated language without thinking about the implications and impacts of that.

And I also firmly believe that both are caring enough that they will learn from it.

It's about context isn't it? These words are not so outdated that there isn't a good percentage within certain groups who absolutely love being called those names while slexing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It's about context isn't it? These words are not so outdated that there isn't a good percentage within certain groups who absolutely love being called those names while slexing.

One hopes that, in those contexts, the use of the terms is ironic and delivered with affection. I grew up in a household where insults were constantly flying. The level of sophistication was high and our absurdly insulting broadsides often contained slivers of truth, but the motivation was affectionate and constructive. I learned to own my mistakes because that was less painful than defending them. I didn't learn this lesson by enduring the pain of criticism so much as watching my parent's honest self deprecation, and the emotional support that was delivered in the form of mock insults.

Still, we were careful to avoid racial, gender, appearance or ability slurs that we knew people were sensitive to, even though none were present. We understood our ability to corrode our own characters with careless use of language. That did not crimp our style. I can't count the number of times my parents called me a chowderhead, or I called them brontosauruses (large and lumbering herbivores, of no threat to me). No chowder, dinosaurs, children, or parents were offended in the process.

So yes, there are contexts in which people can "insult" each other with glee. But, I have witnessed interactions in kinky, slexy, venues where participants in name calling clearly misunderstood the context and used slurs that others found offensive. I've also witnessed relationships in which seemingly abusive language actually was.

Context is key, as is reading it correctly, caring about one's own proficiency, and about others.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Still waking up.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

T3Kzl2Q_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

That one has possibilities, as there appears to be a bit of mischief in those eyes.

He definitely needs to lose that frilly collar though -- yes, I do know that they all wore them like that back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.