Ladies and Gay Guys: Do you think this guy is handsome?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I haven't got the mental energy, Scylla, to give you the 'right' response.

I'm wondering who exactly is being "nitpicky" now, Marigold?

I'm not going to fight about this. All I've suggested is that one probably shouldn't explicitly exclude people.

And that's terribly PC or something because . . . ?

It's actually how I was brought up, long before "PC" was a thing.

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm wondering who exactly is being "nitpicky" now, Marigold?

I'm not going to fight about this. All I've suggested is that one probably shouldn't explicitly exclude people.

And that's terribly PC or something because . . . ?

It's actually how I was brought up, long before "PC" was a thing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not really necessary, Gopi. My comment was more about the discussion here than your title.

In general, though, I think one is asking for trouble by restricting responses in that way?

Though the thread title doesn't bother me, it does raise questions others have brought up. It seems to me Gopi was curious about how people he presumed would be attracted to men would view his specific male example. The problem with the question is that it bifurcates males, but not females. Though demographic data is somewhat soft, it's pretty clear that lesbians exist, and might differ from heterosexual women in their perception of male attractiveness as much as gay and hetero males do in theirs.

I'm analytical, and like questions that have some hope of obtaining an answer. Gopi's was not that. By now, he knows his questions generate more questions than answers and I'm pretty sure he's comfortable with that. So am I.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Though the thread title doesn't bother me, it does raise questions others have brought up. It seems to me Gopi was curious about how people he presumed would be attracted to men would view his specific male example. The problem with the question is that it bifurcates males, but not females. Though demographic data is somewhat soft, it's pretty clear that lesbians exist, and might differ from heterosexual women in their perception of male attractiveness as much as gay and hetero males do in theirs.

I'm analytical, and like questions that have some hope of obtaining an answer. Gopi's was not that. By now, he knows his questions generate more questions than answers and I'm pretty sure he's comfortable with that. So am I.

I agree. The title similarly doesn't bother me at all -- it was pretty clear that the intent was not to exclude. I try not to assume nefarious intent (except in your case, of course), unless there is pretty clear evidence that it was there. That is emphatically not the case with Gopi.

I was addressing more the subsequent discussion. And that, as you say, has actually been sort of interesting. I haven't seen a lot of heated debate here (nor should there be), just some interesting discussions that have helped, maybe, make our understanding of the issues here a bit more complete and rich.

For what it's worth, I was really just joking with my post. I've seen some general assumption of what "ladies" are interested in on this forum, and while I could name an example that maybe does bother me, this isn't it. I just saw a chance to make a stupid joke and took it!

Here, to make peace, an image I think we all can enjoy of another princely sort.

LTnmqQUMzt9_3MQXrIMx1zSPUHLg-rQOJKuFdlzxr5c.jpg.c516ca8a1e9aa77bc72bff9b37c2dfdb.jpg

(Anne Hathaway doing Twelfth Night, for the curious. Also a big part of my lesbian awakening...)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sailorcipher said:

For what it's worth, I was really just joking with my post. I've seen some general assumption of what "ladies" are interested in on this forum, and while I could name an example that maybe does bother me, this isn't it. I just saw a chance to make a stupid joke and took it!

Here, to make peace, an image I think we all can enjoy of another princely sort.

LTnmqQUMzt9_3MQXrIMx1zSPUHLg-rQOJKuFdlzxr5c.jpg.c516ca8a1e9aa77bc72bff9b37c2dfdb.jpg

(Anne Hathaway doing Twelfth Night, for the curious. Also a big part of my lesbian awakening...)

There's a movie of Anne Hathaway in Twelfth Night??!?!?!?!

• Like 1

Original guy - Not in the least. Perfect for Prince Charming, though. Bland, plain, and no personality to boot.

Give me Jason Mamoa, Leati Joseph Anoa'i (WWE's Roman Reigns), the guy that plays Cable/Thanos, and a few others instead, for the guys.

For the ladies... Angelina Jolie, Queen Latifah, Nona Gaye, and because she's cute... Faye Wong, to name a few. Though, Faye's not an actress. 

On 3/8/2022 at 4:39 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I'm just curious. This is a stock photo of an actor playing as a "Prince Charming":

handsome-man-roses-27187290.thumb.jpg.08bc77e7f06c64f7a5b7849ab859da1d.jpg

You know how men say that a woman looks like she is "high-maintenance?" That's the vibe I get from this photo. He is def high-maintenance, and prolly not a lot of fun to be around.

13 minutes ago, LunaRavencroft said:

Original guy - Not in the least. Perfect for Prince Charming, though. Bland, plain, and no personality to boot.

*gigglesnort* That was my initial reaction, too.

To be fair to the actor, though, I think I was reacting more to the character being played. Prince Charming is such an absolute bore to me and always has been - even as a little girl. I remember back when Matthew Broderick did his best to give the poor guy some personality (nobody's even going to remember this but me, I'm sure), and nah, still didn't work.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If that Prince were a lesbian, I'd say he's (oops, she's) totally hot. 

When I read the name "Gopi", I think "Krishna's milkmaids!" so I thought Gopi were a "she"!

Also, Lesbians: *exist*

41 minutes ago, Unpronounceable1 said:

You know how men say that a woman looks like she is "high-maintenance?" That's the vibe I get from this photo. He is def high-maintenance, and prolly not a lot of fun to be around.

All that pomade, fer shure. He must get that oil changed every 3,000..smiles.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If that Prince were a lesbian, I'd say he's (oops, she's) totally hot. 

When I read the name "Gopi", I think "Krishna's milkmaids!" so I thought Gopi were a "she"!

Also, Lesbians: *exist*

Oh yeah, she could absolutely get a nice butch look going if she worked at it. Time to hit her with the ol' lesbianizer ray...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sailorcipher said:

Oh yeah, she could absolutely get a nice butch look going if she worked at it. Time to hit her with the ol' lesbianizer ray...

Just in case..I didn't mean change anything. I just meant: if that were an ambiguously gendered female, who happened to look to some as male; I would find that attractive. As in: fluidity of gender expression; androgynous. Girls who look a little masculine; boys who look a little feminine. No lesbians were created, preserved, or destroyed as part of my thought process, as I did not invoke Brahma, Vishnu, or Shiva (purposefully or by doing mantras while writing). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just in case..I didn't mean change anything. I just meant: if that were an ambiguously gendered female, who happened to look to some as male; I would find that attractive. As in: fluidity of gender expression; androgynous. Girls who look a little masculine; boys who look a little feminine. No lesbians were created, preserved, or destroyed as part of my thought process, as I did not invoke Brahma, Vishnu, or Shiva (purposefully or by doing mantras while writing). 

Oh, same. Identity has a lot to do with attraction, for me, and what I find meh on a dude would be fascinating on a lesbian. (And, of course, trans people are fully included in this.) That said, I'd still want to restyle their hair a bit, but that's just fussiness on my part. And a desire for more undercuts in the world.

• Like 1

I am beginning to wonder if instead of the picture of a male actor it was a female one, would she still get ripped into so fiercely? It’s the picture of a rather handsome guy dressed as a fairytale prince with all the frills and stuff. Yes he probably was designed by the costume people to look high maintenance, smarmy and all that but that’s the character he’s playing, not the actual actor’s personality. I don’t know just saying.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.