Ladies and Gay Guys: Do you think this guy is handsome?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I'm just curious. This is a stock photo of an actor playing as a "Prince Charming":

handsome-man-roses-27187290.thumb.jpg.08bc77e7f06c64f7a5b7849ab859da1d.jpg

I seldom think in terms of beautiful or ugly when it comes to males.
But this guys face somehow reminds me of the younger Bieber.
That is not exactly a plus in my book.

3 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

Doesn't look manly enough for my taste. You can tell by that innocent look and soft hands that he's never had to do any hard labor that builds up men and defines them as what they are, the stronger gender.

I'll pass.

Hmmm.

What would you think of a man wearing his long white hair in pigtails to match the little girl in his lap, using his dexterous, soft hands to help her dress a Barbie doll in an astronaut suit while doing a spot-on impression of Julia Child?

An innocent look was one of his most powerful tools.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not my type in the slightest. Unless... he's secretly in an industrial rock band or something. And grows his hair out. Then maybe. 

I can't stand the Prince Charming archetype in general, though, so I'm definitely the wrong one to be answering this.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

b963e0a698040bf3a11ed1f811670b13.jpg

Here's a picture of an actress playing a character who is a fairy tale princess. Straight guys and lesbians, let's tout our opinions about her physical appearance? 

Emma Swan! 🤩 

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Not my type in the slightest. Unless... he's secretly in an industrial rock band or something. And grows his hair out. Then maybe.

Yeah, a good part of what I find attractive is "doing".

For me attraction is more than just a static look. It's also how someone moves, how they interact with things and people, what they do, and how and why they do it. When I look at the image Gopi posted, my attraction to the face depends on what I imagine goes on behind it. So, if that fella is an actor playing a prince, I can imagine an intellect that's capable of inhabiting other characters, potentially overcoming a lot of rejection in pursuit of a career. If that's a prince, I can imagine him on a yacht with Jeffrey Epstein.

I've little reason to believe my imagination is accurate, but every reason to believe it affects my perception.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Changed "suffering" to "overcoming".
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

What would you think of a man wearing his long white hair in pigtails to match the little girl in his lap, using his dexterous, soft hands to help her dress a Barbie doll in an astronaut suit while doing a spot-on impression of Julia Child?

7167f2aac640e7d1a7cd5e4298a3efc8.jpg

This came to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I seldom think in terms of beautiful or ugly when it comes to males.
But this guys face somehow reminds me of the younger Bieber.
That is not exactly a plus in my book.

He reminds me of a younger version of this guy.. hehehe

Superman-new-1.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

If she is playing the bad princess than she is spot on. If she has to perform as the nice one, it is a failure.
But looking at the heavily worked over eye brows I think she playes the bad one.

She plays a character that, without spoilers (because I don't even remember what the spoilers are - it's been a minute since I binge-watched the entire series on Netflix and my memory is *terrrible*), is the daughter of a certain fairytale prince and a certain princess. But she doesn't quite know that for much of the show's opener. It's a classic & Disney fairytale meets modern day world drama series that aired in the US on TV (last I saw, it was on Netflix - not sure if it still is). Her real world career is a bail bondswoman. Takes her quite a bit to figure out who she really is (and who everyone else is), and really doesn't ever get into an actual princess role as much of the story takes place in the modern day.

32 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

For me attraction is more than just a static look. It's also how someone moves, how they interact with things and people, what they do, and how and why they do it.

I'm mostly the same. I mean sure, there are a few men I've got crushes on based mostly on physical appearance - but not too many. And most women I've known think I'm absolutely bonkers for what I like. I've had so many arguments with women over what I find attractive and why. Just let me live, damn! 😂

For me, it's a combination of appearance (the more unusual the better), passions, and personality. If there's no passion for something - anything - I'll immediately lose interest. It could be astrophysics. It could be playing the didgeridoo. It could be manatee conservation. Don't care - just love *something*. I'm often attracted to musicians and artists it seems, but passion tends to come with the territory, so that's probably why.

As for appearance - I like the self-confidence that accompanies a man doing his own thing his own way. I adore that "Billy Porter strutting across the red carpet in a floor-length gown and doesn't give a damn what you have to say about it" energy. Wooo *fans self*

The guy in the photo just looks rather...bland. I'd have to know more about him to say whether or not I'd find him attractive. Does he love manatees?!

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Fixing stuffs
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm mostly the same. I mean sure, there are a few men I've got crushes on based mostly on physical appearance - but not too many. And most women I've known think I'm absolutely bonkers for what I like. I've had so many arguments with women over what I find attractive and why. Just let me live, damn! 😂

Have you crushed on a guy in a photo, or sitting quietly nearby, then have the bubble burst when you see him in motion? Have you crushed on someone who moves beautifully, but then opens his mouth and reveals the inner ugly? Have you seen this work in reverse, where the unattraction falls away the moment that other person engages the world around them?

I recommend the entirety of Ester Perel's talk, but I think you'll find this bit rings true for you...

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I'm just curious. This is a stock photo of an actor playing as a "Prince Charming":

He's definitely got the look of the 'Fairy Tale Prince' of my childhood, but he does not look to be my type.  I like them a bit more rugged looking.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Have you crushed on a guy in a photo, or sitting quietly nearby, then have the bubble burst when you see him in motion? Have you crushed on someone who moves beautifully, but then opens his mouth and reveals the inner ugly? Have you seen this work in reverse, where the unattraction falls away the moment that other person engages the world around them?

I recommend the entirety of Ester Perel's talk, but I think you'll find this bit rings true for you...

A million times yes. In both directions. I've had this happen with men on stage, actually. Sitting there, watching a band play in person or via livestream even during music festivals...yeah ok the lead singer's kinda cute, whatever. Suddenly he starts interacting with the crowd in front of him - now he's the sexiest man on the planet in that moment. And not only because of the tight pants! I could name a few concerts where that happened, but I won't. 😂

Love what she said in the video. 100% agree with her on that. I enjoy watching men in their element and I've recognized the same type of thing she talks about.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

He's not bad looking but not my type. I'd be more interested in the rugged huntsman than in Prince Charming. 

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

b963e0a698040bf3a11ed1f811670b13.jpg

Here's a picture of an actress playing a character who is a fairy tale princess. Straight guys and lesbians, let's tout our opinions about her physical appearance? 

She reminds me of my ex-wife.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

For me attraction is more than just a static look. It's also how someone moves, how they interact with things and people, what they do, and how and why they do it. When I look at the image Gopi posted, my attraction to the face depends on what I imagine goes on behind it. So, if that fella is an actor playing a prince, I can imagine an intellect that's capable of inhabiting other characters, potentially overcoming a lot of rejection in pursuit of a career. If that's a prince, I can imagine him on a yacht with Jeffrey Epstein.

I've little reason to believe my imagination is accurate, but every reason to believe it affects my perception.

This.  Who a person is matters far more to me than a straight-out aesthetic assessment.  And by who they are, I mean the kind of thing you were talking about above -- attraction is based on so much more than physical appearance or the judgments we apply to same.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

Doesn't look manly enough for my taste. You can tell by that innocent look and soft hands that he's never had to do any hard labor that builds up men and defines them as what they are, the stronger gender.

I'll pass.

I think -- I'm pretty sure -- that you mean the physiologically stronger gender. I get that.

I'm reminded of a comment that Patti Smith once made about her own sexuality -- that she'd tried sleeping with a woman, but it didn't do it for her because she wanted "hard" rather than "soft" in her sexual partner. I also totally get that.

But Smith was, of course, talking about physical "hardness," which is, for reasons I don't need to explain, particularly desirable in a male partner, regardless of one's sexual orientation.

No one who knows anything about Patti Smith is likely to deny that she is "strong" and, in her own way, "hard": intellectually, musically, in terms of her personality and work ethic, she has been nicknamed the Godmother of Punk for a reason. (Michael Stipe once remarked that the first time he heard her album Horses, it "'It pretty much tore my limbs off" -- not the way one would describe a "weak" or "soft" experience.)

But one of the things I love most about her is that she is unafraid to be "soft" (although not "weak") as well. I will always treasure that moment when, in 2016, she performed Dylan's "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" for his induction as a Nobel Prize winner, and forgot the words. What made her failure a victory, of a sort, was her grace and the fact that she gently but insistently embraced her own vulnerability. And, paradoxically, acknowledging and displaying that "softness" publicly was the ultimate index of her strength.

So, yeah. I like the "hardness" of men too. But "hardness" and "strength" come in many shapes and forms, and labour -- the creation of value and meaning -- can consist of building roads with rough, calloused hands, and writing poetry with soft ones.

I want a man whose strength is also in evidence in his willingness to acknowledge and exercise his own vulnerability, his "softness." I want a man who is unafraid to cry at a sad story, or weep for the horror that so often surrounds us -- but who also has the strength to undertake to do something about it.

And that's about character, not gender. And it's certainly not about looks or social class.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Omitted words
  • Like 4

Ooh, all ladies invited to comment? Excellent!

Hm. He doesn't appear to be a lesbian or even a woman, so unfortunately I have to dock him several points from the start... :P Maybe he could do a bit more to take after some butch princely types?

(Sorry, just thought it was a little funny that orientation was only specified for one group of responders.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.