What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No one should allow cheap slurs of any kind to be used as acceptable lingo. Allies are important.

While some autistic people are eloquent enough to speak for themselves, I'm not one of them. I greatly appreciate Amina's input, and all of the valid points she made.

Thank you, Amina. You said everything I wish I could've said.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Aside from all the sub-issues in latter parts of the autism discussion I'm just glad disparaging autistic people is not seen as okay on the forum now. A few years ago someone blatantly trashed autistic people by referring to them as "Aspies" and citing all the trouble they caused her. She also insisted she should be able to use the word "retarded".  Unfortunately she didn't get much pushback.

For a period of years as society became more aware of autism, trashing autistic people was not challenged much, and I imagine our 'autism trasher' of late is just catching up to this reality.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

From my perspective: A couple of posts were made which I thought were unworthy. I responded directly to them and intended to leave it there. Another poster took me personally to task over what I'd said, so I responded to explain my thought processes and why I didn't think the criticism was fair.

My initial post agreeing with Silent on how there was bullying going on, to the extent of two posters suggesting that Melodic leave the forum , included no names and was therefore not personal. You made it personal by responding and defending it.

In relation to my own pet peeve of fauxpologies, do you think an apology is valid if someone apologizes for something but puts it in such a way that says they would do the same thing all over again if faced with the same set circumstances in the future?

31 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I wasn't going to bring them to the discussion to ask, to be honest. They don't know I post here.

They sometimes make self-deprecating jokes about their autism. They don't tend to like it when others do the deprecating for them. I could probably get away with it, with them, but I'd rather not. I can make other jokes. 

I did mean it when I apologised for any offence caused, but I still don't think we should normalise this kind of thing. 

I wasn't suggesting that you ask them to come here. Not sure if that is what you thought I was doing or not. What I am suggesting is maybe making the decision as to whether or not to be offended for them is a form of speaking for them in itself. 

Or maybe I just have a messed up way of thinking and looking at things. What's really weird is how many times I've offended others with my own self-deprecating jokes. I make fun of myself and they're offended?  Never made sense to me. But no, I don't like it when others do it to me (or for me). FTR, I've never been tested so I have no clue if I am or not. I've sometimes wondered but I've got more than enough health issues to deal with at present, thank you. 🙃

I don't doubt your apology is sincere and I agree that some things shouldn't be normalized. That's how the US got into the mess it's in now.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:27 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I would say looking on youtube for what you want to achieve and just doing some all around searches..

Like what you feel like you want to work on for yourself first and then just go from there.. if there is something wrong with you, you can bet there is a smoothie or juice for it..

Well there is something wrong with me...I think too much...but all this healthy stuff is increasing my energy so much that I'm just thinking more...lol.

Seriously, this stuff really works. So far I'm mainly doing smoothies...I'll put some water, vanilla extract, frozen blueberries, pineapple, spinach, and chia seeds in a blender along with a good kind of sweetener so I can minimize fruit and maximize veggies (like Xylitol or Nustevia). Then I add either yogurt or protein powder (non-denatured whey protein powder).  A great, nutritious breakfast.

Checking into the grass powder you mentioned elsewhere, and I want to use more fresh fruits and veggies as opposed to the frozen when I can get around to ordering them.

You should try this whey powder when in the mood to have a more solid texture, like a mousse.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

My initial post agreeing with Silent on how there was bullying going on, to the extent of two posters suggesting that Melodic leave the forum , included no names and was therefore not personal. You made it personal by responding and defending it.

In relation to my own pet peeve of fauxpologies, do you think an apology is valid if someone apologizes for something but puts it in such a way that says they would do the same thing all over again if faced with the same set circumstances in the future?

It didn't mention me by name, but it was clearly about me and what I said, which is what I meant by "personal". You absolutely have the right to criticise what I say, and I felt justified at the time in responding to your criticism, as I felt, and still do feel, that it was unfair and a misrepresentation of what I said.

I don't believe it's a fauxpology to explain the thought processes leading to an action, especially when they don't appear to have been as clear as I thought they were. If you do, I'm happy to leave it there and let anyone who's still reading decide for themselves how to take the spirit of my comments. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

* Everybody hide, Luna arrived!

awww...was I too hard on you in our political debates?  I might have been. I hope you understand where I'm coming from though -- when people go along with conservatives (at this point in time in the US) they are supporting harm and even death for many people. This is why these issues are so important to me.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well there is something wrong with me...I think too much...but all this healthy stuff is increasing my energy so much that I'm just thinking more...lol.

Seriously, this stuff really works. So far I'm mainly doing smoothies...I'll put some frozen blueberries, pineapple, spinach, and chia seeds in a blender along with a good kind of sweetener so I can minimize fruit and maximize veggies (like Xylitol or Nustevia). Then I add either yogurt or protein powder (non-denatured whey protein powder).  A great, nutritious breakfast.

Checking into the grass powder you mentioned elsewhere, and I want to use more fresh fruits and veggies as opposed to the frozen when I can get around to ordering them.

You should try this whey powder when in the mood to have a more solid texture, like a mousse.

One thing with Chia seeds that you want to watch out for..They are very absorbent and soak up moisture and turn into tiny gel beads.. If you mix a smoothie right away and drink it.. they will actually make you feel more full than you are.. that's one reason they are good for weight loss they go in small and expand..Pretty quick too..

You can actually make chia pudding with them which is something I really like..

I messed up one time and added too much Chia seeds into one of my smoothies and put it in the fridge.. It went from a smoothie to a gloppy..hehehehe

once they soak up and expand  you can still add something like almond milk or whatever and get more mile for your buck with a smoothie..

I only added 2 tbsp full and it turned my 1/2 gallon smoothie mix into paste..so adding Almond milk I ended up with almost a gallon.. hehehehe

Chia pudding has a texture like rice or tapioca pudding.. I love rice and tapioca pudding when I was growing up..

Also I learned that The Mayans would eat chia seeds before battle, because it gave them more strength.. That was kind of neat to learn..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

One thing with Chia seeds that you want to watch out for..They are very absorbent and soak up moisture and turn into tiny gel beads.. If you mix a smoothie right away and drink it.. they will actually make you feel more full than you are.. that's one reason they are good for weight loss they go in small and expand..Pretty quick too..

You can actually make chia pudding with them which is something I really like..

I messed up one time and added too much Chia seeds into one of my smoothies and put it in the fridge.. It went from a smoothie to a gloppy..hehehehe

once they soak up and expand  you can still add something like almond milk or whatever and get more mile for your buck with a smoothie..

I only added 2 tbsp full and it turned my 1/2 gallon smoothie mix into paste..so adding Almond milk I ended up with almost a gallon.. hehehehe

Chia pudding has a texture like rice or tapioca pudding.. I love rice and tapioca pudding when I was growing up..

Also I learned that The Mayans would eat chia seeds before battle, because it gave them more strength.. That was kind of neat to learn..

Great chia info!

I read they have a lot of Omega-3's in them, so important for health. My chiro/nutritionist said he's seen many health problems clear up for women with Omega-3 supplementation.

• Like 1

I really hate it when people pretend to be a friend, but it’s all a farce. Everything they say isn’t genuine at all and you know for a fact them talking to you is only a means to go back and tell their actual friends your business. Or, they get seven people to target and harass you at a sandbox sim and you stay quiet so they go away, but end up feeling stupid right after. I feel like I never had a genuine friend on SL, and it bothers me somewhat. 

• Sad 4

I'm peeved by cables that aren't long enough, specifically today those on a DVD writer for which I need a yard* of cabling.  It's how my desk is set up.  Instead they give me 18" so now I have to buy some sort of extension cable.

* I'm old**.  I think in yards, feet, and inches.

** Another peeve is how my old brain scares me by acting weirdly, such as in not seeing the DVD writer in front of me while I've been looking high and low for it for weeks.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I'm peeved by cables that aren't long enough, specifically today those on a DVD writer for which I need a yard* of cabling.  It's how my desk is set up.  Instead they give me 18" so now I have to buy some sort of extension cable.

* I'm old**.  I think in yards, feet, and inches.

** Another peeve is how my old brain scares me by acting weirdly, such as in not seeing the DVD writer in front of me while I've been looking high and low for it for weeks.

I went back and forth with the emoticons on this. Laugh? Yup. Sad? Yup. :)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

A site now requiring 2FA (Two factor Authorization) and the only option is a special app for your smart phone and leaving those of us with flip phones in the dust.

If I can't log in from my desktop (or laptop), forget it. I won't use it. Doesn't matter if I can log in from a phone or not since I don't have one. lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Sadly this is a vendor for my RL bar. My man did call them up on that, but they said they need to have verification it's us and to upgrade the phone.  Now we're shopping for a new vendor.  The current one has served the bar for 20 plus years.

Man, I don't like it when that happens. I really don't like having to change who I do business with when I've done business with them for several years. It always sucks. Like when we first started using a certain fios, service was excellent and we were really happy with the package and the service. Then management changed, CS got outsourced and it went downhill from there and it just kept getting worse and worse. Now I have an antenna in the window, Netflix and Amazon so I rarely watch TV any more. Which sucks and I find myself missing the old days of prime time. lol

• Like 1

My pet peeves:

When people double down on an assumption rather than admit that they got it wrong.

When you get a photo/screenshot juuuust right, the pose is on point, the lighting is great. Then you crash or the region restarts.

The crack that I have grey hair, creaky knees and a bad back...and I am only 31! 😧 Body why?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

When you get a photo/screenshot juuuust right, the pose is on point, the lighting is great. Then you crash or the region restarts.

Ikr? I am the world's slowest photographer. I should learn to take photos while still in process, so that maybe I'd get *A* shot if/when this happens. I have an old computer, a good one, a used one from my bff, and it was a high-end gaming computer, but... yeah. If I'm shooting with all the bells and whistles going I can stress it. So crash happens. If you listen really carefully IRL and have your windows open you can hear the wailing! :)

"Body, why?" Yeah. Hate to tell you this but... nah. I won't. "Don't worry! Things get better the older you get! You get UNcreaky!"

• Haha 1

Peeve - was trying to do something with my phone while using it as a phone and the screen went dark and nothing I did would bring it back.  Went absolutely nuts because this has happened to me so many times and it is so very frustrating. I had previously searched for a solution and failed because I guess I didn't describe the problem correctly and the answers I found did not apply to the situation.  It seems like it's always when I am trying to look up something important to tell the person on the phone and it's so embarrassing as well as frustrating.  I finally found a new answer that I think might be the real solution.  It seems that there is a "smart" feature that keeps the phone from going dark when you are looking at it.  If you are holding the phone to your ear the phone can't see your eyes and assumes you don't need to waste the battery by staying lit.  once it goes dark, it no longer looks for your eyes and doesn't respond to any stimulus. So I've turned that feature off and am hoping to never experience it again.

In other news, I am doing well and just not using the computer much because I am staying with my brother and my laptop is set up in the dining room which is not air conditioned and gets no breeze and the chair hurts my back if I sit for more than ten minutes or so.  So, I'm OK just not online much.

It's nice to know not much has changed, I love all of you contentious sons of B!@$!@#^ and I miss you too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.