What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if I brought this up or not. Ad photos that use morph or Daz 3D to represent their product. I feel like a lot of those ads falsely represent what you are buying and well they need to start taking photos in world and doing some editing. To me it feels like those commercials you watch for fast food products and it shows a burger or some other food. But when you buy it, the item does not look like how they represented it on TV. To me I would like to see a true representation of the product you created. Or at least put a disclaimer, what you see in the ad photo is not a true representation of the product shown. Honesty in marketing creators, please do it.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

I don't know if I brought this up or not. Ad photos that use morph or Daz 3D to represent their product. I feel like a lot of those ads falsely represent what you are buying and well they need to start taking photos in world and doing some editing. To me it feels like those commercials you watch for fast food products and it shows a burger or some other food. But when you buy it, the item does not look like how they represented it on TV. To me I would like to see a true representation of the product you created. Or at least put a disclaimer, what you see in the ad photo is not a true representation of the product shown. Honesty in marketing creators, please do it.

This is why it is even more important to try on a demo (for wearables) or see it rezzed inworld (for non-wearables).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I think the ads look niceĀ themselves, but that time could be spent getting the item to fit another body that's been getting the shaft or needs some love.

Ā 

Poor Slink....

I can totally understand where you are coming and I am no creator. But I can see where the creators are coming from and why they drop bodies. As new bodies hit the market and more people want that body, they tend to drop other bodies. So they aren't burning themselves out. So I wouldn't say it's being shafted, they are just lightening their load.

5 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

60970122_WhatsAppImage2020-08-28at13_22_38.jpeg.d79e62bf1475233c1badb4af5a2bdafd.jpeg

I kinda adore this morph, though... so flauschig.

I amĀ  not saying morphs in general, just ones that stores use on their ad photos. Like if you are doing morphs for personal reasons, I am cool with that. And that morph right there is absolutely adorable btw. But if it's for an ad, I want to see an inworld ad pic taken.

4 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

But I can see where the creators are coming from and why they drop bodies

So can I! The new kid on the block floods the market with a free body. Lo! Everybody wants clothes for it. A merchant does a survey. The new kid on the block stands out way ahead, What a surprise! Them, said lazy merchant decides to drop a well established (and very well put together body) to save their precious time. Yes, it is precious, butĀ tread carefullyĀ here; some of your long-time precious customers aren't anymore!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Odaks said:

So can I! The new kid on the block floods the market with a free body. Lo! Everybody wants clothes for it. A merchant does a survey. The new kid on the block stands out way ahead, What a surprise! Them, said lazy merchant decides to drop a well established (and very well put together body) to save their precious time. Yes, it is precious, butĀ tread carefullyĀ here; some of your long-time precious customers aren't anymore!

You do realize how long it takes to rig for each body. As they are built totally differently right. I wouldn't call it a lazy merchant, it does take a fair amount of time to rig. As consumers we have no idea what they do behind the scenes to get their new item ready. I know the basics, they create the mesh, then they have to bake, and some have to retopologize it. Then they have to make the texture, whether it be through photoshop or substance painter. Then they have to rig to each individual bodies. Then they have to upload and create the graphic for the HUD and make the ad photo. That all takes time. So yes I totally understand why they drop bodies.

Edited by halebore Aeon
  • Like 1

Just now, halebore Aeon said:

it does take a fair amount of time to rig.

I fully understand that, have no fear. I just hope the newĀ kid-on-the-block's customer base develops for them, because a lot of old customers feel very rejected by this. That's life, I know. It stinks sometimes.

1 hour ago, Odaks said:

Merchants can safely exclude free bodies from their surveys and even if they get there and get popular it's pretty irrelevant since it's free and there's a limited market for those freebie seekers. If someone going to save ~2.5k on a body, what are the chances they are going to spend 300 per clothing piece and even more so on the 1.5-2.5k+ fatpacks? Right, not much, they are mostly going to be looking for group gifts and other freebies.

Good example: freebie TMP "classic" body, it's 1L since march/april or so, and can't say I've seen any popular creators adding TMP sizes back to their rigging list. But a 5k TMP Legacy bodies, especially both versions of a female one, now have a solid second place in support among most creators (there are exceptions who are refusing to rig for it for their reasons, though).

Edited by steeljane42
typos

55 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

You do realize how long it takes to rig for each body. As they are built totally differently right.

Not true. Once youā€™ve made the item and rigged it, itā€™s really just a matter of resizing it and applying the data from the old body to the new itemĀ then adjusting it. Ironically, the slink dev kit includes a video that shows you exactly how to do this.

Usually itā€™s best to start with a smaller model (cough cough Maitreya) and useĀ proportional editing or a cage deform. Usually the differences between the models are minor i.eĀ slightly larger breasts, slightly wider hips, etc so it basically fits except for a couple of areas.

Thatā€™sĀ why some creators seemingly can make for a lot of bodies and some donā€™t. Itā€™s just not widely known how to do it.
Ā 

The problem lies in kits that have a model in a different pose usually a t-pose vs an a-pose then itā€™s slightly more involved.

So they could spend that time rigging for other bodies. They just donā€™t or they donā€™t know how. The time doing an ad in Daz could easily be spent rigging for other bodies.

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

No. Samsung 10 android

LG V series here: If what you've described happensĀ onlyĀ during a phone call, Face Detection isn't the issue. not entirely anyway.

There's a light sensor on the front of most modern smartphones, near the forward facing camera. When in a call that sensor is used to detect proximity to your head by the rather simplistic method of measuring the light levels.

It can be tricked when you're in a call and holding your phone by the simple act of having your finger or any part of your hand too close to the sensor.

I am unsure on your device but on mine at least, a simple double tap on the screen is often more than enough to wake it up if the Android system fails to 'wake' the screen when the sensor is no longer telling it something is in front of it.

When a merchant decides to switch up their store on their parcel, but forgets to reset the Forced TP point, so you end up in the wall at the back of the store.Ā  And, of course, since it is a forced TP point, there is no way to TP your way out of the wall.

That would be only one of many reasons why I hate forced TP routing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Just do what many do - post in them all.Ā  If you want to be really lazy about it, post the same picture in more than one of them.

Spamming of photo threads put us where we are now. Thats a peeve.

An alternative is not post in any.

Unnecessary rigging, or not including unrigged options.

The most obvious example would be short hairstyles. Rigging has no benefit at all and makes it impossible to adjust. Other examples would include simple earrings (the ear already has an attachment point!) and bracelets and whatever else...

It bothers me! As if rigging by itself was a selling point!

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.