What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Beating someone over the head with their mistakes doesn't work either. It's no different than backing a wild animal into a corner and expecting it to just roll over and play dead when the reality is the animal is going to fight back. Humans are animals (as in mammals) and they will always behave as such when cornered.

Peeve: When people just have to put their 2 cents in after someone has already been chastised by several people. While I wouldn't call it ganging up on someone it is browbeating and that is just as wrong as ganging up. Browbeating is a form of bullying. Check your dictionary if you don't believe it.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Beating someone over the head with their mistakes doesn't work either. It's no different than backing a wild animal into a corner and expecting it to just roll over and play dead when the reality is the animal is going to fight back. Humans are animals (as in mammals) and they will always behave as such when cornered.

Peeve: When people just have to put their 2 cents in after someone has already been chastised by several people. While I wouldn't call it ganging up on someone it is browbeating and that is just as wrong as ganging up. Browbeating is a form of bullying. Check your dictionary if you don't believe it.

I agree on the animal analogy on how we as humans behave and react. Though I don't think anyone is being chastised here. No one has been hostile or anything. It's ok to comment on something that's happened, no?

6 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I agree on the animal analogy on how we as humans behave and react. Though I don't think anyone is being chastised here. No one has been hostile or anything. It's ok to comment on something that's happened, no?

After several people have already done so all saying the same thing? No. And yes Melodic was chastised by several people. Once or twice is understandable but when several other people jump in all saying the same thing that has already been said is browbeating. It happens all the time on all forums and I doubt it will ever change. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Those other's don't speak for me.

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I never said you did and I most certainly didn't imply you did. In fact, I never even quoted you so I haven't been speaking directly to you.

It's been very obvious you did.

Let me just say, everyone has a voice and it shouldn't depend on who got there first to voice it. That's ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

It's been very obvious you did.

Let me just say, everyone has a voice and it shouldn't depend on who got there first to voice it. That's ridiculous.

No. You're reading something into my post that isn't there. If I had been talking to you and only you I would have quoted you just as I did here.

Yes everyone has a voice and everyone has a "right" to speak but no one has the right to kick someone when they are already down. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

After several people have already done so all saying the same thing? No. And yes Melodic was chastised by several people. Once or twice is understandable but when several other people jump in all saying the same thing that has already been said is browbeating. It happens all the time on all forums and I doubt it will ever change. 

I think if something has impacted more than one person, then naturally more than one person will comment on it. But I know what you mean and overall just wanting the forum to be a nicer place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, AdminGirl said:

I think if something has impacted more than one person, then naturally more than one person will comment on it. But I know what you mean and overall just wanting the forum to be a nicer place.

Exactly. Thank you. I don't always word things very well myself even when I'm trying really hard to not be offensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

When people just have to put their 2 cents in after someone has already been chastised by several people.

Well I'm going to go ahead and toss my 2 cents in support of So Whimsy then. No one speaks for 'everyone', that's not how a forum works. Also, see what I did there?! Mwihihi.

While I wouldn't call it ganging up on someone it is browbeating and that is just as wrong as ganging up. Browbeating is a form of bullying.

So 'ganging up on someone' is too harsh a term .. But it's BULLYING?! 

Check your dictionary if you don't believe it.

The amount of rhetorical fallacies in that one post suggests that you've missed the part where 'words' by themselves aren't quite as important as 'how you use them'. Just like how talking about how someone is autistic isn't necessarily ill-intended, but calling someone 'an autist' in a derogatory manner is well beyond the pale. 

Today's pet peeve: People who fling around supposedly gutsy words such as 'bully' or 'racist' against anyone who disagrees with them, pushing out the very real acts of actual bullies and racists out of focus as the word is watered down from addressing important issues of our society to become nothing more than vague, petty insults. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Shopping pet peeve: Untextured demos. I'm trying on a latex dress. I wanted to see how the shine looks like. The dress is just smooth white. I basically have to trust the stores advertising, that the vendor display isn't altered in photoshop.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I basically have to trust the stores advertising

With rigged mesh, there's also the matter of fitting. Its not always possible to alpha away a bit of bad fitment. So, no texture to see, and no fit to assess, that's just too much of a risk to take as far as I'm concerned.

Caveat Emptor. If in doubt, walk on out!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This is a peeve for me also, especially when two people who didn't even self identify as being autistic, had the audacity to suggest that Melodic should leave the forum as she wasn't wanted here. Forum bullying was a good description of the last page.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

This is a peeve for me also, especially when two people who didn't even self identify as being autistic, had the audacity to suggest that Melodic should leave the forum as she wasn't wanted here. Forum bullying was a good description of the last page.

Rubbish. If you make a comment that many people find offensive, and your response to being told it's offensive is to make a sarcastic fauxpology and complain that the forum is over-sensitive and you don't like it, it's not "bullying" to suggest that the place may not be a fit for you. I was careful not to say "you aren't wanted here" because that's not true. I think it's fair to say that comments like that aren't wanted here, though, so if you want an appreciative audience for them, then yes, you are going to have to find somewhere else to make them. If we're talking about being welcoming, those kinds of comments aren't going to make people with autism feel wanted here.

Incidentally, why do I have to have autism in order to be offended by unkind remarks about autistic people? 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
A word.
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

... said she to add her two cents after that episode had already passed...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pet peeve: People who call out vague "people" for doing a thing in a thread, and then say, when someone objects, "Oh, I wasn't talking about you!" So... who the eff were you talking about?  @Silent MistwalkerHave the courage of your convictions and state who you think is being a bully. If it wasn't "this" person, or the first one, (two? three?four?...???) people who commented then who was it, in your opinion? In being so vague you end up peeving a whole lot of people instead of the one or two you are theoretically peeved with.

I missed the posts telling Melodic she should leave.

And fwiw, that's another way that forums work. People read at different times/days. People don't always read the comments that follow, just land on the first post they want to comment upon, comment, and then continue reading — sometimes then seeing that they have repeated a comment someone else made.

When you start wagging fingers about "too many people commenting" then you start being the mouth gag police. And while I like a nice mouth gag under the right circumstance, posting in the forums isn't one of those circumstances. Everyone, and I mean everyone, including the asshats I have on block, has a right to comment upon whatever they darn well feel like without getting clucked at just because they commented. That's not to say the content of what those "everyone's" write isn't also up for clucking, but the mere fact that they added to the numbers is NOT a reason to be the thread police.

FWIW, IMO... 

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

when two people who didn't even self identify as being autistic

Autism isn't something you 'identify' yourself with, it's a term describing a fairly broad spectrum of mental conditions that affect a person's behaviour in ways that sometimes creates difficulties with various things such as building social skills, dealing with non-verbal communication, oratory abilities and creating and maintaining everyday habits, etc. which may, if untreated or undetected, be the cause for further mental health problems causing depression, social anxiety, sleep disorders, etc. ASD is something a psychiatrist diagnose you with, not something you wake up one day and say 'Oh I'm feeling socially awkward today, I think I should start telling people I'm a little bit autistic'. 

I'm pretty sick and tired of people playing with identity politics. Why should people be excluded from having an opinion just because they don't happen to be XYZ? That's pretty detrimental to the fundamental functions of any democratic society; the ability to exchange ideas and communicate opinions - this petty, ignorant authoritarianism of the virtue signaling crowd today is just obnoxious and misguided. 

But since it seems so important to you; yes, I'm actually diagnosed with ADD and being on the autistic spectrum. And again, no one speaks for everyone, I'm not in any way, shape or form a 'representative' of 'people with ADD and/or ASD'. And on that note - there's nothing that offends me more, on account of my mental conditions, than when people become aware of them and think that it's their place to speak for me and make excuses for me, especially when their understanding of them come off the back of a milk carton campaign to 'raise awareness about mental health issues'. I'm quite capable of speaking for myself, thank you very much.

People who use the term 'autistic' as an insult tend to be gaming twerps who think that the edgier they are, the cooler people will think they are. No one think they're actually cool. They're just too stupid to understand that they're being laughed at, rather than laughed with. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Orwar said:

Well I'm going to go ahead and toss my 2 cents in support of So Whimsy then. No one speaks for 'everyone', that's not how a forum works. Also, see what I did there?! Mwihihi.

So 'ganging up on someone' is too harsh a term .. But it's BULLYING?! 

The amount of rhetorical fallacies in that one post suggests that you've missed the part where 'words' by themselves aren't quite as important as 'how you use them'. Just like how talking about how someone is autistic isn't necessarily ill-intended, but calling someone 'an autist' in a derogatory manner is well beyond the pale. 

Today's pet peeve: People who fling around supposedly gutsy words such as 'bully' or 'racist' against anyone who disagrees with them, pushing out the very real acts of actual bullies and racists out of focus as the word is watered down from addressing important issues of our society to become nothing more than vague, petty insults. 

What a maroon. Thanks for putting words into my mouth that were never there. You need to work on your mind reading skill. You missed the mark by a mile. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.