Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Adam Spark said:

It still would be helpful to have an easier way, though. If a person I know IM's me and I cannot tell who it is, what I am I to do in that case? Look up the keys of as many folks as I can think of until I find a match? I would hate to see somebody I see at events frequently and not know it is them. Am I still missing something here?

How do you look up keys? I'm thinking the calling card you originally got with their friend request will probably have their original username on it. So if you can look that up by key, boom, you'll have their original username.

6 minutes ago, MirandaBowers said:

how are you guys figuring out the conversion rate for the true cost of changing the name?

with google type in: USD to (your currency)

in my case: USD to NZD (New Zealand dollar)

on my screen, Google links to current market data provided by Morningstar and displays it

at the moment the current exchange rate is 1 USD to 1.64 NZD. Multiply $US39.99 by 1.64 = $NZD65.58

which puts us somewhere close

the actual exchange rate we get from our payments provider (CC, bank, etc) may differ from Morningstar as each provider has their own buying regime.  Like my bank buys blocks of foreign currency on the forex market (using Buy orders similar to how  LindeX does it) and then on-sells them to me and other customers until they nearly run out, and then buys another block to top up their holdings

our payment provider (CC, bank, etc) adds a currency conversion/handling fee also which can vary depending on provider. And depending on where we live in the world VAT is also added. So we need to add these on as as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bartholomew Gallacher said:

It's good that it has finally been launched, by the price tag coming with it is just ridiculously overpriced. 

I just seen it as $29.00 to adjust my name and a $20 tip to help keep SL running.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My bet is that we will see Iwanderedlonelyasa Cloud and not Jacobo Timmerman -- but surprise me.

I thought about whether I would make use of this service, which seems well worth the $40, given that there was a huge demand for it and that apparently it was hard to do.

And I couldn't immediately find a use for it, but I'm glad it's there and I might turn to it. 

I wouldn't want to change this name because it's almost like a brand name. I already was lucky enough to get my real first and last name for free years ago because it's a common name and the Lindens put it in the list long ago. I even asked my son if he wanted to change his name to the actual family name of his great grandfather -- the system name was only close. But somehow it seemed too strange.

The Lindens are always better at making up last names that I would, and perhaps I could consider making a new one with these interesting last names -- but then I'd have to kill off an alt. Don't they still have the rule of five premium accounts only? or do they? Well, 5 is plenty anyway because they are a lot of mouths to feed and keep dressed, i.e. pay for. My alts are all known and I use them to hold together groups.

I think the best thing about this is that now people who wish to use Second Life for RL purposes -- and there are such people and hopefully there will be more of them -- can make their actual name in RL and link it to their social media. And if it is taken because it's a common name, perhaps they could put in an initial or something.

The display names are heavily used and as a rentals agent I find it difficult sometimes to get to the actual name that you need to put in things like locked doors or teleporters. 

I have yet to see a "new last name person" but I wonder now if inventory will be lost as a glitch associated with people changing their names so that their created objects have a new name now, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

How do you look up keys? I'm thinking the calling card you originally got with their friend request will probably have their original username on it. So if you can look that up by key, boom, you'll have their original username.

There is a scripted device that calls up keys. You can get it on the MP. Not sure it has all avatars in it but most of them. It is not a secret as it is displayed if you make a payment on a rental box, for example, or do other things. I use it to ensure that the copyright of creators is protected with a customized script.

• Thanks 1

I was just thinking of what historically, the last names meant.

They were at one time a marker for the time in which you entered Second Life.

So some people had very old names that were like the Mayflower, like the very first resident, Stellar Sunshine. The names came and went from the list, so if you had the name Midnight or Terra or Weber or Leviathan you were sure to be SL Royalty. Just contemplate the list of what I called FIC 1.0 (Feted Inner Core, those with special relationships with the Lindens in the early days, some of whom *became* Lindens):

Aimee Weber
Siobhan Taylor
Teeny Leviathan
Jeska Linden
FlipperPA Peregrine
Jennyfur Peregrine
Taco Rubio
Neph Protagonist
Neil Protagonist
Moopf Murray
Siggy Romulus+
Cory Ondrejka
Timeless Prototype
Eloise Pasteur
Catherine Omega
Frans Charming
Francis Chung
Hiro Pendragon

How many of them are even in SL any more? Hiro Pendragon's "dojo" (the first I ever saw) is no more; Siggy Romulus sadly died in RL, leaving behind his wife Neph Protagonist, who became his RL wife, and their twin children. Neph had at one time been the partner of Neil (people used to take the same last names when they were partners). Aimee Weber used to be the most popular women's fashion designer ("She makes Lindens feel pretty," someone once quipped acidly. Taco Rubio was infamous for creating something called the "Upskirt Museum"  for which he was banned. Cory Ondrejka was actually Cory Linden who famously broke with Philip Linden (Philip Rosedale) over the issue of open-sourcing not just the viewer but all of SL, and other unknown matters. Timeless Prototype made one of those seats that keeps adding one, and permanently blocked me because I criticized him. Eloise Pasteur is as elegant as her name and made interesting scripts and I believe is still in SL. Francis Chung, "the other Chung," was a scripter, and had the famous last name made famous by none other than Anshe Chung, SL's first "millionaire" who is long gone from SL but whose rentals empire survives in some form apparently. FlipperPA and Jennyfur Peregrine ran the SL RL meet-ups and caused many a scandal around that; Jeska Linden was their best friend whom they used to feature in their billboard ads for their online SL fashion and shopping service -- which caused a group of us to complain about residents that used Lindens to advance their business, and eventually, an ethics manual was created by Linden Lab that barred such practices. That shopping site -- was it called "SLEX?" with little boxes you had to put stuff in to transfer it to the web was bought out by the Lindens and turned into the Marketplace.  Jeska who was famous for telling people to take their differences off the forums and have them in world -- long ago left the Lab, married, and has kids even by now I think. Moopf Murray made some free iceskates you can still find. And so on. Where are they now? All the great names of SL, mainly gone, left entirely, gone from the People List, with only their created objects to remember them by.

I suppose Oz Linden might know -- how many avatars are left in SL who have the original last names? I bet it's actually not more than 10,000, likely less, because I never see the old last names in my rentals, except those who have been in them for 10 or more years (last names went away in 2010 I believe).

Then there's the next generations after the original "founding fathers and mothers" -- names like Neva, which might be associated with a low-cost rentals agency and whom you don't like, but is also the name of a very fancy sim rentals company. It's the name of a river in Russia, of course, which is where my university dormitory stood 40 years ago, looking out on the Winter Palace, where the sun never rose before 10:00 am in the morning and immediately sunk at about 2 pm before it was time to go on the "Leninskiye mesta" tour, scraping the ice from the windows...So dark and cold, and no food! Kind of like now, in some ways.

There was the famous Pituca Fairchild and Garth Fairlight -- they married in SL and then later in RL and the Lindens made them a combined last name -- Fairchang. I remember when I saw them holding hands at the SL meet-up in Chicago, I thought I was in some kind of Renaissance world, some world of higher beings and greater culture...Pituca is still very active inworld with a rentals company and you can find memorials of Garth -- who used to have a store near Ravenglass that I would shop at -- I got all their newbie freebies including their Greek House which I wish I still had, sadly lost in inventory. Garth also became a Linden for a time. I will find his Linden name -- he did work on the SLRR and is remembered for that among many things; you can get the free train he made at my Aztecha community in Columbia.

There was a time when a last name associated with an "epoch" of SL. Oh, that name was when Philip welcome real estate sales (Neva); that name is when VAT was imposed; that name is when sculpties were made; the businesses started during these "epochs" with those last names would be forever associated with that "epoch" -- until they weren't, when history was forgotten, like now.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I think you are making this more difficult than it has to be. If someone you don't recognize speaks to you in RL, what do you do? You maybe talk with them for a minute to see if something registers for you, or you politely ask them "I'm sorry, have we met before?" or you tell them to fook off, as the case may be. No need for it to be different here.

No one here needs to know anyone else's name history. 

I'm not referring to any conversation scenerio.

I might say hi to somebody I see frequently if I recognize them. I would hate to not say hi to them because they appear to be a stranger because of this.

Not making it difficult, just trying to explain what I see as an unintended consequence of this. Its no biggie, just trying to explain a missed point.

1 hour ago, Adam Spark said:

I'm not referring to any conversation scenerio.

I might say hi to somebody I see frequently if I recognize them. I would hate to not say hi to them because they appear to be a stranger because of this.

Not making it difficult, just trying to explain what I see as an unintended consequence of this. Its no biggie, just trying to explain a missed point.

I thought you had referred to IMs from people whose name you might not recognize? At any rate, that risk is on the person who changes their name. If they choose not to let people know that they have done so, they shouldn't fuss if you don't say "hi" to them. It's easy enough for one to slap a note in their profile if they want to announce their name change and/or send a note to their friends about it. 

(I realize that there is always someone willing to fuss about pretty much anything in SL, but it would really be silly for someone to run around incognito then complain that they weren't recognized.)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I thought you had referred to IMs from people whose name you might not recognize? At any rate, that risk is on the person who changes their name. If they choose not to let people know that they have done so, they shouldn't fuss if you don't say "hi" to them. It's easy enough for one to slap a note in their profile if they want to announce their name change and/or send a note to their friends about it. 

(I realize that there is always someone willing to fuss about pretty much anything in SL, but it would really be silly for someone to run around incognito then complain that they weren't recognized.)

I attend a lot of events so I come across certain people I see regularly. Sometimes they are first to say hi, sometimes I am. Sometimes we miss each other. Name changes make it just that much easier to miss one another in passing.

Its a minor thing that I don't feel a need to harp on, but that was what I was referring to in my original comment. Yeah I realize things like looking at profiles. But if you see a name you don't recognize in a crowd, I'm sure you can understand it would be natural to assume you are in the company of a stranger and not even think to verify.

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

There was the famous Pituca Fairchild and Garth Fairlight -- they married in SL and then later in RL and the Lindens made them a combined last name -- Fairchang. I remember when I saw them holding hands at the SL meet-up in Chicago, I thought I was in some kind of Renaissance world, some world of higher beings and greater culture...Pituca is still very active inworld with a rentals company and you can find memorials of Garth -- who used to have a store near Ravenglass that I would shop at -- I got all their newbie freebies including their Greek House which I wish I still had, sadly lost in inventory. Garth also became a Linden for a time. I will find his Linden name -- he did work on the SLRR and is remembered for that among many things; you can get the free train he made at my Aztecha community in Columbia.

Garth was Nigel Linden.

• Sad 1

Boy, do I feel stupid. I was so excited to be able to change my name I plonked down $40 and picked one of those last names that seemed to suit me best. All went well. Then I checked my email.... and discovered I was one of the people who had won a free name change! And I didn't even realise!

Plus, I didn't choose the name I had suggested, didn't even remember putting it forward. And just for the record, it was me that suggested 'Vanilla'. So now you know who to blame.

I've asked the Linden's for a refund but maybe I'll just have to store it up and change my name again sometime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Sure!  Memorize the UUIDs of all your friends!  (kidding about that)

It would be pretty easy to make a HUD with a script in it to scan everyone within the parcel looking for a UUID in a notecard list, and putting up a warning.

Edited by Anna Nova

18 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I wonder if the name change threads will overtake the "I didn't get a home" threads

there are more homes than names available :)

house hopping isnt's that fun, getting all the same locations time after time, seems everybody dislikes the same .. so gets ditched in the pool several times a day.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

there are more homes than names available :)

house hopping isnt's that fun, getting all the same locations time after time, seems everybody dislikes the same .. so gets ditched in the pool several times a day.

That seems to be a recent glitch.  The same house seems to come up even with seconds of abandoning it.

I feel like derailing all the name-change threads but I'm a good girl. :D 

Mostly.

• Haha 6

I like how most those names involve around sex... Jazzhands, Salty, Vanilla, banana, etc...

Iknow this is first batch of last names but come on... why not choose like real common last names such as Marasco, Smith, Trump, Clinton, or common last names you'd actually see.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Haselden said:

I like how most those names involve around sex... Jazzhands, Salty, Vanilla, banana, etc...

They are?  Goodness.  I knew of the Vanilla connection but nothing else.  Please don't enlighten me, though; I want to continue liking bananas.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

They are?  Goodness.  I knew of the Vanilla connection but nothing else.  Please don't enlighten me, though; I want to continue liking bananas.

Yeah, Vanilla was the only one I knew that had a connection. Banana, I suppose you could, but you'd need to use it in a very cheesy, hen party, naughty postcard way to make it work. Didn't know Salty or Jazzhands had any connotations at all either.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Haselden said:

Iknow this is first batch of last names but come on... why not choose like real common last names such as Marasco, Smith, Trump, Clinton, or common last names you'd actually see.

Salty was my suggestion and I based it more on the meaning of being upset over something trivial but if people want to make it dirty more power to them lol

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.