Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Nextio said:

Yikes.  No custom last name?  Was it really that difficult to find a couple developers to come up with something, besides this half-baked idea?  😐

any of the Linden developers could have coded up custom last name functionality. Decisions on what the users get is way above the pay grade of the developers, they are decided by the Product Director and other senior managers at this level and above

10 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

So, provided that the agent hasn't set their Display Name, in LSL, llGetDisplayName(uuid_resident) will return Donald, whereas llGetDisplayName(uuid_covfefe) will return Donald Covfefe?

donald.resident is Donald. donald.covfefe is Donald Covfefe. when they are two different accounts

when donald.resident changes their name to donald.covefefe then they are the same account.  In which case donald.resident and donald.covfefe return Donald Covfefe

Edited by Mollymews
same

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes. donald.resident is Donald.

So if I pay to have my name Arduenn Schwartzman changed to Arduenn Resident, llGetDisplayName(uuid_arduenn) will change from Arduenn Schwartzman to Arduenn? Do I get my money back then? Because if I pay for the name Resident I'd really want to see my name appear as Arduenn Resident.

You know what, I'm just gonna change my Display Name to Arduenn Resident. For free. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

donald.resident is Donald. donald.covfefe is Donald Covfefe. when they are two different accounts

when donald.resident changes their name to donald.covefefe then they are the same account.  In which case donald.resident and donald.covfefe return Donald Covfefe

If someone has already taken donald.covfefe then donald.resident will not be allowed to change his name to donald.covfefe. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

So if I pay to have my name Arduenn Schwartzman changed to Arduenn Resident, llGetDisplayName(uuid_arduenn) will change from Arduenn Schwartzman to Arduenn?

yes, apparently so. Oz Linden posted that: I changed my name to: NameChange.Resident is exactly the same as I never changed my name to NameChange.Resident

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kweopi said:

I don't know why, but since the possibility of changing your name, I've never been more proud of belonging to the resident family. I like it better to have just one name all over the place,

i like that you wrote this

identifying with the Resident family is a good thing, as good as identifying with any other named family

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Same here in the UK. Any US$ purchase I make is now almost the same in UK£. $40 will be about £38. Two years ago it would have been more like £26.  I wouldn't have worried about paying £26 for a name change but I can't really justify £38. Unless one of the names I entered into the contest pops up in a future list.

It should be £31.86 at the minute. However, LL doesn't use normal currency conversion. They pretty much throw an 8 ball and hope for the best. I had a sim about a year ago and the conversion price from USD to GBP that they were charging me was 15-30 dollars more than what any other finance site / currency conversion site gave me. And I don't have to pay VAT as where I live is in the UK but not part of it, so it wasn't that.

12 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

Yeah at $500 setup and $500 per year. Maybe if you re evaluated that pricing you might actually gain some interest in this.

As for a last name....ima wait for premium plus and see if the price is reduced or you get a free name change.

What you all should have done this....

Name change from pre set list : $25

Custom surname : $100 (given xxxxxx conditions)

• Like 2

I'm cynical about the whole Last Names deal, pull back the curtain & I think it's a marketeering manipulation to literally 'name & shame' & make more revenue by creating tribalism & an elite class in Second Life off the back of folks I think requesting it back to add a badge of specialness; of course if you see an avatar with a 'Last Name' you know they're 'premium members' & in a 'tribe', in an elite class & beloooong, & it's worth paying extra bucks to 'belooong' surely? Don't you want to 'belooong'? I'll just use the friends list.

Edited by Morganog
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Morganog said:

I'm cynical about the whole Last Names deal, pull back the curtain & I think it's a marketeering manipulation to literally 'name & shame' & make more revenue by creating tribalism & an elite class in Second Life off the back of folks I think requesting it back to add a badge of specialness; of course if you see an avatar with a 'Last Name' you know they're 'premium members' & in a 'tribe', in an elite class & beloooong, & it's worth paying extra bucks to 'belooong' surely? Don't you want to 'belooong'? I'll just use the friends list.

you really think there's elitism about names?... in that case do you really expect "us"  réal lastnamers wil accept the new surrogates in our very special secret order ?....

now serious... i don't give a [bad word] about the name of somebody. Be who you are, be what you are and you'll find friends.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Kweopi said:

I don't know why, but since the possibility of changing your name, I've never been more proud of belonging to the resident family. I like it better to have just one name all over the place,

Last names root an account in SL's history by indicating when the account was hatched. "Resident" is a very substantial period of that history, so it's right that there are accompanying senses of identity and meaning. Plural because there's never just one for this sort of thing. I hope "Resident" comes to feel less generic than it has.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morganog said:

Smoke less live more is all I can say to you

• Like 3

It's good that it has finally been launched, by the price tag coming with it is just ridiculously overpriced. Especially for something which you would get 10 years ago for free, and nobody asked for its removal back then anyway. It's pure insolence.

LL should have instead made it maximum around the average price of a common state of the art mesh head or body for every resident, and cutting the fee in half if you got three month or longer premium status. Something like that.

For comparison: if you want to rename one of your characters in Blizzard's cash cow MMORPG World of Warcraft you've got to pay 10US$ for it.

Edited by Bartholomew Gallacher
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.