Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

I really like Whimsy but can't think of a nice first name >.< Any ideas?

for a last name like Whimsy then a whimsical first name I think with 3 or more syllables. Some first names starting with W:

Wilhelmina Whimsy

Winifreda Whimsy

Westinghouse Whimsy

Wainwright Whimsy

Waiwera Whimsy

Wicahpi Whimsey

Wetherby Whimsy

Winona Whimsy

Wiremu Whimsy

Wanakia Whimsy

Wyomia Whimsy

Waiata Whimsy

Willoughby Whimsy

• Like 3

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmm, and I thought my mind went into the gutter too easily. 

I cannot figure out how Jazzhand or Salty is related to sex.  In thinking about it, I'm not sure I even want to know.

Ok Lemongrass

Edited by Haselden

10 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

meant the part on top, where it shows your name on every scripted item. So Rhonda Huntress' *item name* in your case. I can see my new name on scan list as well, but on that top left part it still shows the old one. Same for a few other people I did test it with.

OH!

Ok .. so I tried it with the alt's version. 
I'll be. 

JoeFib.png.831cfe497f21c834d95e86e5752aaf86.png

This should be easy.  Res it in world, delete the old copy from oinventory and reset scripts ....
Same thing.  Hmm.

Let's see you persist through this.  Res in world and recompile scripts.
Same thing.

It's free.  Let me just delete it all from inventory and get a new copy.
Nope.  Still says JosephFibonacci.

Yep.  Definitely a bug with llDialog() and not a user scripting error.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

SL Names are NEVER made available for use by anyone other than the person that has already used it.  I am aware of no exceptions to this and we have been told there will be no exceptions.

I found a loophole and created an account with a username identical to one that had already been used. About ten years ago I made an account with a username objectionable enough that LL made me change it. Fast forward to yesterday and I was poking around registration portals to see if I could get an account with one of the new usernames and not pay for it. No luck, but I did type in that objectionable name for the lulz and to my surprise, it was available. And I was able to make an account using it. So if you had a "Resident" account that had a name change prior to the new system going in place (which is probably almost no one) it's possible to re-use a username.

I also can't believe that word isn't blocked at signup.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Wonder how long scripted stuff will keep showing old names in menus. Avsitter based furniture for example, but so far I see all scripted items still use old names and not just in my case, but also for other people who did change theirs. Live chat support had no clue, so they made a ticket for me. Based on today's RC roll and fixes there ( https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-04-10T18%3A39%3A41.540037.html ), it could be up to a week, if it's that case. But if it's a different issue, then hopefully they sort it out soon too.

I don't know if this is related, but I have noticed some issues with security orbs (specifically, the Linden Homes orbs) not recognizing an orb owner after a name change. Oddly, the orb will show the new name as owner, but apparently this gets lost in translation somewhere and the part of the orb that controls access doesn't get the memo, leaving the orb ejecting its owner from the parcel!

ETA: I did contact Support and let them know about it.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I found a loophole and created an account with a username identical to one that had already been used. About ten years ago I made an account with a username objectionable enough that LL made me change it. Fast forward to yesterday and I was poking around registration portals to see if I could get an account with one of the new usernames and not pay for it. No luck, but I did type in that objectionable name for the lulz and to my surprise, it was available. And I was able to make an account using it. So if you had a "Resident" account that had a name change prior to the new system going in place (which is probably almost no one) it's possible to re-use a username.

I also can't believe that word isn't blocked at signup.

Perhaps your original name was wiped from the system, thus making it seem as though it had never existed.

7 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

OH!

I'll be. 

This should be easy.  Res it in world, delete the old copy from oinventory and reset scripts ....
Same thing.  Hmm.

Same thing.

Yep, seems like either a very long delay until some back-end will catch up or just a very obvious and plain bug. Hope more people will start bothering support about that, so they'll fix it faster if it's the latter.

I got a reply to my ticket saying they are looking into it using examples (I did list a few regions and a few links to MP items) I provided.

20 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I don't know if this is related, but I have noticed some issues with security orbs (specifically, the Linden Homes orbs) not recognizing an orb owner after a name change. Oddly, the orb will show the new name as owner, but apparently this gets lost in translation somewhere and the part of the orb that controls access doesn't get the memo, leaving the orb ejecting its owner from the parcel!

ETA: I did contact Support and let them know about it.

No idea about LL homes orbs, but could be related. Caspersafe orb I have up does recognize the new names on access/admin lists, but in scripted dialog box it still shows the old username like everything else. I assume some ancient orbs that have access list based on the username and not the avatar's UUID will kick their owners left and right too, but didn't thought LL homes would be using that type.

9 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

OH!

I'll be. 

Same thing.  Hmm.

Same thing.

They did say it could take up to a week for everything to switch over.  Maybe that's one of the things that takes longer.

26 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

They did say it could take up to a week for everything to switch over.  Maybe that's one of the things that takes longer.

The blog post said:

"There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for your new name to show across all services in Second Life."

And the FAQ says:

"If you continue to see your old name anywhere in Second Life after 24 hours, please contact our Support team for assistance."

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 1:55 PM, Schu Firefly said:

Worst thing ever.. I enjoy the fact i came into the game in the beginning to have a last name. This is nothing but a money grab to cover Sansars waste of cash now that its gone. 

true, that is what it is basically. Just an attempt to draw people back that didnt like they couldnt have a last name. or to try and get people who dont have one maybe pay to get one.

Well I bit the bullet and got a last name. For me it was not so much an issue of wanting a last name, but more of getting the first name that I want and not having to put numbers or special characters in the name. Now I have that and my big fear is that a last name will come available that I really love and I will crave to spend another $12 usd for a month of premium with another $40 usd on top just to get a "perfect" name, because none of the initial batch of last names were great.

Edited by Hippolyta Nova
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hippolyta Nova said:

Well I bit the bullet and got a last name. For me it was not so much an issue of wanting a last name, but more of getting the first name that I want and not having to put numbers or special characters in the name. Now I have that and my big fear is that a last name will come available that I really love and I will crave to spend another $12 usd for a month of premium with another $40 usd on top just to get a "perfect" name, because none of the initial batch of last names were great.

Welcome to my family. ❤

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The blog post said:

"There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for your new name to show across all services in Second Life."

And the FAQ says:

"If you continue to see your old name anywhere in Second Life after 24 hours, please contact our Support team for assistance."

I definitely saw something say up to 7 days.

37 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I definitely saw something say up to 7 days.

Probably in RC's release notes. https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-04-10T18%3A39%3A41.540037.html

Guess we'll find out soon enough if that's the case, unless LL will reply to my (or anyone else's) ticket first. So far it's around 72 hours since I changed mine and all scripted dialogs still show the old one, including new scripts I create myself using some testing examples from the SL wiki.

I still think Nova is a firstname and not a lastname. 😛

Since I don't need a new name I am only willing to pay the "for fun" price to change an alt. That is definitely not a price which is even higher than a brand new game. So I simply ignore the name change thing. Not made for me.

Of course - if you have invested many years and money in your "crap-name-avatar" you are more willing to pay the "I pay everything" price. Obviously thats the customers LL is aiming at. 😁

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.