You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 64 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Morganog said:

..by creating tribalism & an elite class in Second Life off the back of folks I think requesting it back to add a badge of specialness; of course if you see an avatar with a 'Last Name' you know they're 'premium members' & in a 'tribe', in an elite class & beloooong, & it's worth paying extra bucks to 'belooong' surely? Don't you want to 'belooong'? 

I don't belong anywhere or in any tribe now or ever. Don't fall for that old chestnut as its a big big no-no.
The old forums were full of spite & hate from people who made that critical, foolish mistake.
Eg: "my tribe vs yours". "your tribe etc etc etc".
Back people into a corner with ludicrous accusations and they'll come out fighting.
If that be the case? Make sure you can go the distance :( 

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so creating a new alt, for the sole purpose of living in fetish wear and exploring every single kink I can think of, while wearing the surname Vanilla.

Yeesh, people must be really bored to be getting this bent out of shape about name changes that are voluntary. 10,000 threads about name changes and nearly everyone is clutching their collective pearl

We believe we've provided all the capability that a merchant, script, or external system needs to be able to determine whether or not a given account is the same as one that previously used another na

Posted Images

So just to clarify; the signup process still lies to residents and tells you that you can change the name which people see at a later date, tricking a great many people into using a distinct account name intended to be non-visible (as is standard practice these days). They log in, find that their account name will be visible and recognised by scripts for all time, but it's okay folks because you can choose to set a second name which will also be visible alongside the account name? Oh, and we gave your account name the surname "Resident" because we decided that was a better solution than actually fixing the architecture to handle account names when forcing you to use those. But don't worry, you can change "Resident" (while being stuck with the account name you were tricked into supplying by a dishonest signup process), for a mere $40!

Are they having a giggle?

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

So just to clarify; the signup process still lies to residents and tells you that you can change the name which people see at a later date

No, now it just asks for a username.

1 minute ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

No, now it just asks for a username.

Good to see they've changed that semi-recently. But the entire system of having your username plastered above your head is still rotten, and terrible for account security.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how often the list updates? I want to change both my first and last name but I don't like any of the given options (LL -- why isn't the list longer?) so will wait until the next cycle to see if I like any of those names

2 minutes ago, 1Hannah Actor said:

Does anyone know how often the list updates? I want to change both my first and last name but I don't like any of the given options (LL -- why isn't the list longer?) so will wait until the next cycle to see if I like any of those names

We don't know yet, but if it's the same as it was before, it'll be once every 2-3 months. It was always pretty random, though the list got changed less frequently as time went on and by the end they didn't change it for a year or more, before they finally got rid of them. I think the real reason was that they just got fed up of trying to think of new ones.

5 hours ago, Nextio said:

Yikes.  No custom last name?  Was it really that difficult to find a couple developers to come up with something, besides this half-baked idea?  😐

Apparently so, the way their systems are built. Even changing to set names took like two years and is costing quite a lot, considering that a lot of accounts I have elsewhere I can just go in and change my user name with no problem and no charge (then again, I have a lot of other accounts where that is not an option, like SL).

3 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Yeah at $500 setup and $500 per year. Maybe if you re evaluated that pricing you might actually gain some interest in this.

As for a last name....ima wait for premium plus and see if the price is reduced or you get a free name change.

What you all should have done this....

Name change from pre set list : $25

Custom surname : $100 (given xxxxxx conditions)

On top of that, it has to obviously be a company name, so really it is a brand name and not a personal last name, unless that is what you think is nice for a personal last name. So, even if I wanted to pay all that money, I *still* could not get 'Claudel' as a last name. He was just being funny, or sarcastic, depending on your take.

I know people see that price and go "WHY!!!" but from my stand point as a service provider,  I would prefer my clients not change their name every 20 mintues or every 2 days randomly, that will eat the pool of new lastnames up quickly.     Some one mentioned something about "well they need to recoup their costs from sansar"  they sold sansar, I think they got that base covered.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I know people see that price and go "WHY!!!" but from my stand point as a service provider,  I would prefer my clients not change their name every 20 mintues or every 2 days randomly, that will eat the pool of new lastnames up quickly.     Some one mentioned something about "well they need to recoup their costs from sansar"  they sold sansar, I think they got that base covered.

I said this in the other thread, but I understand the need for a fee of some kind, to deter griefers, bots and name-farming. A fee of $5 for any account tier is enough to discourage almost all bad-faith name changes. The difference between $5 and $40-50 is in how many legitimate residents are turned away; and that's the problem here. The fee goes far beyond what is necessary and into raw greed territory.

• Like 3
Just now, AyelaNewLife said:

I said this in the other thread, but I understand the need for a fee of some kind, to deter griefers, bots and name-farming. A fee of $5 for any account tier is enough to discourage almost all bad-faith name changes. The difference between $5 and $40-50 is in how many legitimate residents are turned away; and that's the problem here. The fee goes far beyond what is necessary and into raw greed territory.

It might be turning residents away, but it's also saving headaches upon LL too.

8 hours ago, Rathgrith027 said:

Wake me when the Lindens let us use custom last names.

Until then, I'm not touching this 'feature' with a bargepole the size of the Bingo Strait.

Wake up. You can have a custom last name for the low, low price of only $500 per year.

1 hour ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Good to see they've changed that semi-recently. But the entire system of having your username plastered above your head is still rotten, and terrible for account security.

Took me a moment to see what you mean; you're right. I might put it that username (as it's currently meant) and ACCOUNT name should be distinct, on the theory that one fine day a single account might be associated with multiple usernames. 

6 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

If someone has already taken donald.covfefe then donald.resident will not be allowed to change his name to donald.covfefe. 

I am so very tempted to do the opposite: to try changing only my last name to Resident, having long ago made a qie.resident alt. Obviously it should therefore fail, but with all the special-case spaghetti code it must take to handle Resident, I wouldn't bet on it. On the other hand, I don't really want it to succeed because... I mean, god only knows what might happen!

Anybody else struck by this wording:

These last names are also available to you, based on the age or type of your account:

which precedes the list of names that were used for the account in the past, to which you can pay to revert? I'm guessing the Premium Superchief account holders will have more names there. Like maybe all the lastnames that were available back when their account was created. Or maybe extra decadent names -- celebrities, royal dynasties, Tories... something.

I'm definitely not doing anything until we know what that next-level Premium tier brings.

• Like 4

I don't understand how the database is set up where a name change is so difficult that it requires $50 worth of labor.

Do they have a very small man enter the server physically to hunt down all instances of your old username or...

I know lots of people are moaning about the price tag but i don't think it's too outrageous it's enough to dissuade people from treating it like a display name

That said being UK based on the name change page i see i'd have to pay an extra 8.00 USD in VAT

Change Your Account Name

Changing your account name, whether to a previous name or a new name, is subject to the following fee:

Membership level Name change fee
Premium USD 39.99 + 8.00 VAT
Basic Name change is not available
8 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I know lots of people are moaning about the price tag but i don't think it's too outrageous it's enough to dissuade people from treating it like a display name [...]

I agree with that. But they could at least let annual premium memberships change it only once without an extra payment.

I've been paying the annual premium membership for 7 years, not to mention the money I spent with land. As I have no responsibility in LL's bad decisions, I don't feel inclined to help paying for the losses they may cause — yes, I mean Sansar.

That said, and as I stated before, I won't ever pay a single cent to change the username.

I love Linden Labs...

But in fairness they sort of invited this conversation by including that name on their list.  I would like to think someone on their team in that board meeting of choosing names said something like "I'm just gonna say this right now... Covfefe... really really bad idea for our list of names"

With that said by my count they have already made $280 off of it 

I'm still blocking anyone that chooses it though 🤣

• Like 4
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 64 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.