Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeesh, people must be really bored to be getting this bent out of shape about name changes that are voluntary. 10,000 threads about name changes and nearly everyone is clutching their collective pearls. I guess that is what happens when the planet runs out of toilet paper.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

28 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

Well, *I* submitted Hijinks. I assume all these names were non-winning contest entries. (Including, of course, the winning names). What better way to come up with a list of last names? The contest was essentially free labour for Linden Lab. We crowdsourced the list of last names they'll be using for years. 

Did you get a free name change?  This person's post - well, the text of the email he received anyway - implies that everyone that submitted something that got used in this first round of names gets a free change.  The name that person submitted that was chose was 'Bellisserian', which was not in the list of winners that Kiera posted in her 'Winners' thread.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

This. THIS. And at a time when millions of people around the world are losing their jobs and facing economic hardship, I think this fee is outrageous and tone-deaf. Linden Lab is coming across as greedy, and frankly it's not a very flattering look nowadays.

But apparently you went ahead and paid it anyway.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

Doing that does not require that we give everyone the ability to read your name change history, which is otherwise no one elses business.

Oz, I most respectfully disagree.  The username has always been the ONE unchanging thing about our avatars.  No matter what appearance, or Display Name, we could always be sure who we were talking to or interacting with.  Now, this is no longer the case.  Not being able to read an avatar's name history could be one way in which a really dedicated griefer/stalker could mask themselves.

Admittedly, using an alt is a lot cheaper and easier, but through the name change route, you get to keep all your Stuff.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Not being able to read an avatar's name history could be one way in which a really dedicated griefer/stalker could mask themselves.

just on this bit

if we think that we are being stalked by a name changer then we do a llRequestUserKey on both the names.  If it is the same account/person then the returned uuid key will be the same

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

just on this bit

if we think that we are being stalked by a name changer then we do a llRequestUserKey on both the names.  If it is the same account/person then the returned uuid key will be the same

Yep, and that combined with llRequestUsername is how a stalker will find their victims's new username after they change it, thinking that it will help them get away from said stalker.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yep, and that combined with llRequestUsername is how a stalker will find their victims's new username after they change it, thinking that it will help them get away from said stalker.

yes this is true. It works in the opposite as well

taking it to the next level. Say there was a way to block another person from doing a name/uuid look up on us.  Then our stalker/greifer could block us from looking them up also

Edited by Mollymews
is

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You forgot the part that says: Linden Lab will consider names that are clearly made up or composite (for example, "SecondLife" or "Agilent").

It doesn't need to end in Corp/Inc/LTD/corporate speak. It just can't be something that sounds like a real surname, like Smith, Johnson, Williams, Miller, Wilson, etc.

Twitch, Streemr, Seamstress, Newguy, Paladin, [insert name you want], etc. would be up for consideration. Besides, Oz himself linked that page in response to someone else wanting a unique name. If you really wanna pay that fee, you can always ask if the name you want is up for approval. There's no requirement that you have to have a corporation of any kind.

But the name I desire does sound like a real surname. It's not *MY* real surname, but one associated with my avatar. Also, it doesn't defeat it's initial intent of being used for business ventures, and even if it was, I'd sooner spit on a linden than be charged one month's SSDI payments upfront for a goddamn name change, and I wouldn't tolerate this 40 dollar wannabe comedy skit on greed either.

Edited by Rathgrith027

39 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Yeesh, people must be really bored to be getting this bent out of shape about name changes that are voluntary. 10,000 threads about name changes and nearly everyone is clutching their collective pearls. I guess that is what happens when the planet runs out of toilet paper.

IKR? I just have to laugh because it's all so EXTRA. 🍿

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

just on this bit

Edited by Adam Spark
Nevermind, misread
  • Like 1

[ edited out Adam's quote.  I just leave the info here for anyone else reading who might be wondering about how to use the LSL functions ]

llRequestUserKey takes a name for the lookup. We just need to know the old name of our stalker and their new name

more details on how this work here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUserKey

also have a look at the reverse function llRequestUsername here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUsername

Edited by Mollymews
edit out
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Did you get a free name change?  This person's post - well, the text of the email he received anyway - implies that everyone that submitted something that got used in this first round of names gets a free change.  The name that person submitted that was chose was 'Bellisserian', which was not in the list of winners that Kiera posted in her 'Winners' thread.

Well, what do you know?!?? I just checked my email, and lo and behold, there is an email from April 13th from Derrick Linden telling me that I had won a free name change for one of my avatars! 

When did they change this? I thought they had already announced the seven winners of the contest.

43 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

[ edited out Adam's quote.  I just leave the info here for anyone else reading who might be wondering about how to use the LSL functions ]

llRequestUserKey takes a name for the lookup. We just need to know the old name of our stalker and their new name

more details on how this work here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUserKey

also have a look at the reverse function llRequestUsername here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUsername

It still would be helpful to have an easier way, though. If a person I know IM's me and I cannot tell who it is, what I am I to do in that case? Look up the keys of as many folks as I can think of until I find a match? I would hate to see somebody I see at events frequently and not know it is them. Am I still missing something here?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

Well, what do you know?!?? I just checked my email, and lo and behold, there is an email from April 13th from Derrick Linden telling me that I had won a free name change for one of my avatars! 

When did they change this? I thought they had already announced the seven winners of the contest.

as other people like yourself have been reporting seems Linden just did it without any announcement

i think was a good move by Linden to decide that every name on the first/initial list is as worthy to win as any other name on the list

Edited by Mollymews
list
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Adam Spark said:

It still would be helpful to have an easier way, though. If a person I know IM's me and I cannot tell who it is, what I am I to do in that case? Look up the keys of as many folks as I can think of until I find a match? I would hate to see somebody I see at events frequently and not know it is them. Am I still missing something here?

Sure!  Memorize the UUIDs of all your friends!  (kidding about that)

• Haha 1

Just now, Adam Spark said:

If for all I know they are a complete stranger, why would I ask them who they are?

I've responded to IMs before with "Do I know you?" -- I've a bad memory sometimes and might have met the person, though unlikely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've responded to IMs before with "Do I know you?" -- I've a bad memory sometimes and might have met the person, though unlikely.

Sure, but likely there was something that made them think they might. A random "who are you?" on the off chance a complete stranger isn't actually a complete stranger would be more than awkward though....

4 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

If for all I know they are a complete stranger, why would I ask them who they are?

I suppose you could just sit there and panic instead...

I mean its not like in RL we have names floating over our head or profiles we can open up on a pie menu.  Actually have to ask a stranger a question or two to figure out who they are and if you want to continue a conversation or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

it will impact people differently yes

reports are that some people who have changed their name already and who have some kind of public presence like shopkeeper, landlord, etc are saying so on their inworld profile

1 hour ago, Adam Spark said:

Sure, but likely there was something that made them think they might. A random "who are you?" on the off chance a complete stranger isn't actually a complete stranger would be more than awkward though....

I think you are making this more difficult than it has to be. If someone you don't recognize speaks to you in RL, what do you do? You maybe talk with them for a minute to see if something registers for you, or you politely ask them "I'm sorry, have we met before?" or you tell them to fook off, as the case may be. No need for it to be different here.

No one here needs to know anyone else's name history. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.