Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

I still think Nova is a firstname and not a lastname. 😛

Since I don't need a new name I am only willing to pay the "for fun" price to change an alt. That is definitely not a price which is even higher than a brand new game. So I simply ignore the name change thing. Not made for me.

Of course - if you have invested many years and money in your "crap-name-avatar" you are more willing to pay the "I pay everything" price. Obviously thats the customers LL is aiming at. 😁

Mine is both ;)

I’ve been playing this account as my main for a few years now and it has all the ‘good toys’. My older accounts have the old style names but it was cheaper for me to change this one rather than buy all the stuff I like and use for one of the others. The fact that the old account name on this one was one people could rarely spell correctly sealed the deal.

17 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Past chat transcripts are lost, at least in firestorm.

it might be like how alt account chat transcripts are saved on our computer. The new name might create a new profile folder on our computer. And the old name profile folder is still there. The new name using the new profile folder. The chat logs for each person (.txt files) are in the folder. Open chat in file: chat.txt

if you have Windows 10 then have a look in

C : \ Users \ YourWindowsProfileName \ AppData \ Roaming \ Firestorm_x64

and see if the old name profile folder is still there

Edited by Mollymews
_x64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

it might be like how alt account chat transcripts are saved on our computer. The new name might create a new profile folder on our computer. And the old name profile folder is still there. The new name using the new profile folder. The chat logs for each person (.txt files) are in the folder. Open chat in file: chat.txt

if you have Windows 10 then have a look in

C : \ Users \ YourWindowsProfileName \ AppData \ Roaming \ Firestorm_x64

and see if the old name profile folder is still there

Thank you, that'd explain it, I'll also pass this along to my friend :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, So Whimsy said:

Thank you, that'd explain it, I'll also pass this along to my friend :)

it might be interesting to see what happens if they make a copy of your old_name.txt file and renamed it to: so_whimsy.txt

and see if that comes up in their viewer

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it has nothing to do with Sansar, don't believe everything that's posted here.
New last names project dates from long before there was even a thought about selling Sansar.

it may have been in the works for a long time but it never was added back in until sansar closed down. which is kind of funny really.

New here but not new to SL will the name change take place with online trackers, my ex is tracking my old username and I know will grief me if I log her in I have put original names of avatars on my tracker knowing they have changed their names and when said person logs in the original name displays as being online, he has my calling card also which will also bring up my new name if I change  

1 minute ago, MarcellaGuzman said:

New here but not new to SL will the name change take place with online trackers, my ex is tracking my old username and I know will grief me if I log her in I have put original names of avatars on my tracker knowing they have changed their names and when said person logs in the original name displays as being online, he has my calling card also which will also bring up my new name if I change  

a name change won't prevent anyone from doing what you describe

the same remedies apply as always: Block, and ban from your groups and land. And don't let these people live in your head

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

it may have been in the works for a long time but it never was added back in until sansar closed down. which is kind of funny really.

The name change was added when it was ready. That took a very long time and had nothing to do with Sansar. Name changes became available after COVID-19 caused worldwide "stay at home" orders. Just a coincidence? Perhaps not.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Past chat transcripts are lost, at least in firestorm.

So, the solution is here: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/copying_per_account_settings_between_accounts

Doing that - a simple cut and paste, restores stuff like block lists and derendered items as well as chat logs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Parhelion Palou said:

The name change was added when it was ready. That took a very long time and had nothing to do with Sansar. Name changes became available after COVID-19 caused worldwide "stay at home" orders. Just a coincidence? Perhaps not.

I doubt it took as long as you think since they had the system once before. doubtfully it was so complicated to re-enable it or add it back in. they were just waiting for the right time where they could use it as another cash grab scheme.

2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I doubt it took as long as you think since they had the system once before. doubtfully it was so complicated to re-enable it or add it back in. they were just waiting for the right time where they could use it as another cash grab scheme.

Two responses to a conspiracy lover are enough, so here's the second: Second Life *never* had an automated ability to change an existing user name until now. Originally the user name was the identifier by which almost all of SL interacted with the avatar. The original naming system was a simple thing to create. Going back through 17 years of code to find and fix all the places where a user name was used rather than the UUID was a  very big task, and it's likely LL has missed a few things. LL could change a user name before, but it took having a staff member go through everything to change any reference to the old name to the new name. If name changes were done like that now, they'd probably cost hundreds of dollars.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

It wasn't the re-enabling of last names that took all of the coding time.  That part was probably easy-peasy.  It was the part of allowing a change to the username.  A lot of the original code was using the username as a key to things instead of the UUID and there were things like viewer-server communication that was being done via cached username values.  All of that code had to be changed to use UUID.  Then, since all of this impacted pretty much every single aspect of SL, it probably all required more testing than pretty much any other new feature they've added in a long time.

Changing things in really old code is never as simple as it might seem.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MarcellaGuzman said:

Yes but a real name change that wipes your old name and leave no traces should be the thing that allows people being stalked to bring their old AV back. Did LL never think such things happens in SL  

suppose we were able to create a new named account which another person (our stalker) could not associate with our old name. This works for our stalker also. They could hide their old name from us

Edited by Mollymews
we
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MarcellaGuzman said:

Yes but a real name change that wipes your old name and leave no traces should be the thing that allows people being stalked to bring their old AV back. Did LL never think such things happens in SL  

The problem is that merchants need to be able to know a customer's old name.  If you contacted someone about a purchase, but that purchase was made under a different name, the merchant must be able to tie the two people together somehow.  

If a security orb was blocking user SomeOldName and they change it to MyNewName, you want the security orb to still block the person.  Unfortunately, there is no way to have that and still prevent a second scripted object from also knowing the new name.

13 minutes ago, MarcellaGuzman said:

Yes but a real name change that wipes your old name and leave no traces should be the thing that allows people being stalked to bring their old AV back.

That works both ways, allowing a stalker to bypass any blocks or mutes in order to continue harassment.

They way it is now, if someone on your ignore list changes their name they continue to be on your ignore list with their new name.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

That works both ways, allowing a stalker to bypass any blocks or mutes in order to continue harassment.

They way it is now, if someone on your ignore list changes their name they continue to be on your ignore list with their new name.

i`ll leave it for now and keep an eye on my tracker and see if that brings new user names up instead of their old one 

22 minutes ago, MarcellaGuzman said:

i`ll leave it for now and keep an eye on my tracker and see if that brings new user names up instead of their old one 

as this change permeates then over time, shoppkeepers will update their products to using agent uuids, and referencing the uiid to display names. Those products which don't get updated will get discarded by residents who will get other products that function as they now expect it too

1 hour ago, Anicha Heartsong said:

Seems like AvSitter doesn't use the UUID but keeps using the username you had when you bought the item. So that's going to be annoying, and confusing. Now I'll have three names in use: my old username; my new username; and my display name (which admittedly I can get rid of)

If you mean the part where it says "your name's" *item name* in top right corner, then It's not just avsitter, it's every single scripted dialog so far. You can check back a few pages here and test yourself in-world as well. Then asking live chat support or/and creating a ticket would be a good idea. I'm still waiting for the 2nd reply on mine, though.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1

Ok guys! Help me out here.

POLL...

Should i change my name to:

1) Pixie Pancake

2) Pixie Peppermint 

3) Pixie Vanilla 

4) OR keep my name as it is, save myself £40, and blow it all on hair, shoes and cute outfits instead! 😊

🖤 Pix 🖤

Edited by PixieGirrrrl
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.