Election advice

SkylabPatel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Well sign me up!  I totally and completely rely on unsolicited advice from anonymous people online with panicked advice on what to do with my life savings.  I mean, who else am I going to listen to, a financial expert?

Just saw an article that might make you remove your tongue from your cheek on that one.  Apparently, a TON of pension managers and financial consultants get kickbacks from the funds they encourage people to invest in.  There's a popular, supposedly independent financial consulting firm in the US, Edward Jones.  The article said "Edward Jones receives revenue sharing (i.e., kickbacks) from virtually all of the 576 mutual funds and financial products they offer."  They made over $200M last year from this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

If we start censoring topics certain people don't like, where does it end? Who gets to decide what is allowed and what isn't (other than the Lindens, that is), and if we start that discussion, isn't that in and of itself sort of political?

9 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I asked this a while back and got crickets. Anything “political” or otherwise “sensitive” is off limits, arbitrary as that sounds, as soon as someone reports this, it’s gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Can’t we all just just agree that Nazis are bad, the rest of us were good, and it’s wonderful that Hitler died in a ditch?

Hitler's dead? He can't be! He's always so alive and well in Internet arguments!

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Marut72 said:

Dear Tolya,

I don’t get into debates because they don’t usually serve much good but in this case I think I need to say something. 

I am extremely grateful to the USA for fighting the Nazis in the Second World War but I am also extremely disappointed in the USA for selling Poland and many others to the Soviet Union. I am again grateful to the USA for fighting the Soviet Union and for making it possible for my family to escape and enjoy peace and freedom in North America. 

History is like art. There is no beginning and no end. 

I just wish we could all be more civil and accepting of one another. 

I am am sorry for signalling you out but I don’t enjoy any Nation being tarnished. This is not a personal attack. Please don’t take it that way. I admire your spunk. 

Lots of Americans, notably Patton, weren't happy that the West left Eastern Europe behind the Iron Curtain.  One wonders how different things would have turned out had we followed Churchill's advice and pressed harder in Italy and liberated Greece rather than focusing on France.  We could have been in Poland, or at least Hungary, before the Soviets then.

4 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

If anyone needs me, I'll be hiding in a fridge.

I seriously might move to Gor. Or maybe I already have and didn't realise it.

How far are you from the Scottish border? Might be time to make a run for it. With luck you'll be back in the EU there within, I dunno, 6 years or so?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SkylabPatel said:

This is a must-read for all UK residents. Britain is going to the polls today and Brexit may become a reality. In the next few hours, all UK residents should seriously consider converting all GBP - all life savings - to Linden Dollars on the Lindex.

If the pound sterling crashes tomorrow, at least your money will be safe and you will be able to convert it to US$. Please pass this message on to everyone you see inworld, and even ask non-SL residents to consider making an account and converting all their money into Linden Dollars.

You may not get this chance tomorrow!

Well here we are, tomorrow already.  And the pound surges against the dollar...

I don't care I keep a few mil in USD just in case...

Thank God it's Friday 13th all day.

12 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I second this motion.

Lest I, who have no personal interest or actual knowledge in U.K. politics should start commenting with biased opinion on it as they do to the U.S.

The difference is that it doesn't matter a bent cent who runs the UK to an American.  But almost everything the Leader of the Free World does affects us.  And we don't get a vote.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i vote for keeping RL politics OUT OF SL and for sure OUT OF THE FORUMS

Alwin, I have sympathy for your position. RL international politics radically changed my life back in March of 1994 and my preference is to keep RL squabbles out of SL.

My compromise with Freedom of Thought & Expression is to UnFollow threads that become too painful. It bothers me that I might - in doing so - be somewhat disrespectful of the Posters, but I have learned to deal proactively with my own mental hygiene. I slept about 4 hours a night for some years after my adventures and I don’t care to evoke those memories if I can avoid them 🙂

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b3e72e74e2c74a46e7

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.