SkylabPatel

Election advice

39 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Oh, and you may want to watch the clip again.  He didn't call Neil a "leftist", he questioned whether he was an objective journalist or an opinion journalist.  And, he admitted he got "destroyed" because he wasn't prepared.  And he apologized. 

This clip?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Oh, I don't want them taken down! I want them to continue, along with technically OT threads like this because they're harmless fun as well. At least to me they are! 😝

Not that I have anything to do with the way these Forums are set up, but usually a "general discussion" tab is just that, general, and anything is fair game. It used to be, anyway, back in the wild, wild West bad old days (that had its moments).  Frankly, if a topic doesn't appeal then I don't see what the big deal is about not going there. As to harmless? Hm. Not so sure flamewars are necessarily harmless. Just because things are written down and read, as opposed to physical actions like a punch to the nose, doesn't mean things are harmless. Been there and have the t-shirt on that one, too. My mindset nine years ago in the Forums, where I thought people might actually be something like friends, provided me with a great opportunity to be harmed. Now, I'm much more of the eff-it mindset. I have no delusions, and it isn't my intent to make friends here. (If I do, great! Fantastic!) so it is a much more harmless place.

That's why I say I don't like flamewars. I do not find them entertaining. (Correction, why I don't find most of them entertaining. :) ) I didn't like being other people's "entertainment" when it was happening to me. However, I will not be a little doormat to avoid calling BS to BS. I just hope I don't go out of my way for it.

2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

both sides are so entrenched in their self-righteous belief in their own infallibility that they dismiss out of hand what the other has to say.  That's the worst kind of willful ignorance I know.

This is absolutely the problem that both the US and the UK are facing right now.

When people deliberately vote against their own self-interest, due to media misinformation, and when they vote according to that misinfornation, that is a huge problem.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Yes, but I can't help myself from pointing out the hypocrisy when people get all uppity about a rule when they frequently break the same rule...

When this forum was first introduced it was decided through mods and forumites discussions that GD did not mean gD only about SL. Then years later Lindens came in and decreed that politics and religion were off limits.

I don’t know if current Lindens are aware of this history.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

I have my opinions on the election, but why are we discussing it on the forum? I seems totally off topic relative to SL.

If I lose my job as a result of today's election result, that will affect my SL.

If the NHS is disbanded and I cannot get the regular treatment I need to remain independent, if I have to sacrifice internet access to get healthcare, that will affect my SL.

If I have to choose between paying my internet provider and buying food, that will affect my SL.

SL is never separate from RL.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

20 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:
1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Oh, and you may want to watch the clip again.  He didn't call Neil a "leftist", he questioned whether he was an objective journalist or an opinion journalist.  And, he admitted he got "destroyed" because he wasn't prepared.  And he apologized. 

This clip?

I don't care for Breitbart, and so I'm not familiar with this pundit. Politics aside, I couldn't get through the whole clip due to Shapiro's nasally, whiney voice. Bleck. It is like someone doing a parody voice. (And, erm, he called Neil a leftist, working for a leftist corporation (the BBC) and he asked if he was an objective or opinion journalist.)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

When this forum was first introduced it was decided through mods and forumites discussions that GD did not mean gD only about SL. Then years later Lindens came in and decreed that politics and religion were off limits.

Maybe we need a "PRS" (Politics, Religion, Society) subforum. Allow these discussions, since they affect us all, but keep them separate so those who don't want to follow them can choose not to.

• Like 2

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

I don't care for Breitbart, and so I'm not familiar with this pundit. Politics aside, I couldn't get through the whole clip due to Shapiro's nasally, whiney voice. Bleck. It is like someone doing a parody voice. (And, erm, he called Neil a leftist, working for a leftist corporation (the BBC) and he asked if he was an objective or opinion journalist.)

I did not mean for anyone to listen to the whole clip, it should have started at 5:50, and the relevant part is only about ten seconds long. I'm sorry if that much concentrated douchebag gave you brain cancer.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I know, but it’s kind of a thing here.

Besides....fun little games posts are fun and don’t upset anyone...so breaking the rules for that is ok for right, because it’s harmless fun...right? Right!?

For the love of god, don’t mess with the games, Janet!  Think of my work days without them. 😃

Just now, Eva Knoller said:

For the love of god, don’t mess with the games, Janet!  Think of my work days without them. 😃

I agree 100%!!!

Its one of the few reasons I’m even here. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

wondering now if Christmas threads are religious threads... equally needing to be whacked out

my preference, again from what I said above, is that it should be anything goes general discussion, and that people just be smart enough to stay out of threads that upset them or that don't appeal to them, be they politics or word games

:::wondering why I have chosen to not use caps or punctuations on this reply:::  :::feeling rebellious? :::

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

This is absolutely the problem that both the US and the UK are facing right now.

When people deliberately vote against their own self-interest, due to media misinformation, and when they vote according to that misinfornation, that is a huge problem.

I hear about people voting "in their own self interest" a lot.  The problem is, most people can't figure out their own self interest beyond next weeks paycheck.  It always reminds me of the saying (of dubious attribution) " A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. "  It happened in Greece.  It happened in Rome.  It's happening throughout the West today, including America.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Maybe we need a "PRS" (Politics, Religion, Society) subforum. Allow these discussions, since they affect us all, but keep them separate so those who don't want to follow them can choose not to.

I really don't think it is hard to figger out which is which now. I can safely avoid the games if I want, and it shouldn't take much insight on the hotter topics. I also wouldn't be opposed to a subforum. Putting all the nasties into one folder could make things more entertaining.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

That's why I say I don't like flamewars.

For me, there is a difference between having a heated disagreement and a flame war. When things devolve into personal insults and name-calling, that's one thing, but two people arguing about a subject is another. 

I have watched both you and Selene, and often agreed with both of you, and sometimes disagreed with both of you. I don't consider either of you trolls or flamewar-inciters, but I do think you can both be extremely passionate. People would probably say that about me as well when I sink my teeth into a topic. 

This thread is now on tenderhooks, though, and has reached the point where absolutely any remark can and probably will be taken and twisted and blown up to epic proportions, and the majority of the good humor with which we were all sort of debating and talking has disappeared. 

That's when it ceases to be fun for me - when it goes from fairly good-natured, if heated, to hurtful and hateful. 

Just now, Tolya Ugajin said:

I hear about people voting "in their own self interest" a lot.  The problem is, most people can't figure out their own self interest beyond next weeks paycheck.  It always reminds me of the saying (of dubious attribution) " A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. "  It happened in Greece.  It happened in Rome.  It's happening throughout the West today, including America.

Yes. This makes me wonder if democracy is even worth the effort.

The average reading age of adults in the UK is 7 years old. Those people are voting on my future and that scares me.

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

I do think you can both be extremely passionate.

Oh, I can be quite passionate. Still can't get a date though. And then there's the whole Orwar needing to recover because you forced us to kiss in a gif.

Oh, you didn't mean horny there, did you...

:::wanders off in search of cheap wine:::

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

The average reading age of adults in the UK is 7 years old

The average reading age of the President of the US is 7 years old. THAT scares me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

The average reading age of the President of the US is 7 years old. THAT scares me. 

Yeah, that's one of those mixed emoji reactions again. Laughter, sadness, maybe an eggplant...

• Like 1

That's not even all of what he's said. I can't bear to go into it all right now, but it's been common knowledge and widely reported for a very long time, and you definitely couldn't miss it in the last few weeks. A little Googling will bring it all up. That's our Prime Minister. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, janetosilio said:

I just think it’s funny a troll topic turned into this.

Troll topics often do, especially in these forums for some reason. I know I'm posting here because I'm bored out of my mind, soon getting ready to be tipsy and bored. I figure this thread will be closed, the responses sent to Siberia, and more of the who gives an eff stuff. In between the nonsense I do learn things about people, not necessarily what they are writing about, but more about who they are. So sometimes useful.

• Like 1