Election advice

SkylabPatel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, anna2358 said:

The difference is that it doesn't matter a bent cent who runs the UK to an American.  But almost everything the Leader of the Free World does affects us.  And we don't get a vote.

This is true. My comment was weighted toward the understanding part. Example: "Did you vote for Trump?" - wrong question; correct question is "Did you vote against Clinton?" or vice-versa. It's no longer who you vote for in the U.S. for many people, but rather who you vote against.

• Like 2

The word "Tory" came into use for members of a political faction that arose during the Exclusion Crisis (1679 - 1681), during the reign of Charles ll. This faction supported the right of Charles' brother, James, to succeed the throne. They were opposed by by a faction, dubbed "Whigs", who opposed James' right of succession because he was a Roman Catholic.

As has been rightfully pointed out, Tory derives from the Gaelic, tóraidhe, meaning outlaw. Whig came from an old word meaning yokel, or country bumpkin. Both words were used in derogatory fashion!

Strangely, the word Tory has survived to modern times, whereas Whig has disappeared into obscurity. Modern Conservative politicians apparently have no qualms about being described as Tories, despite the origin of the term.

Ref: @Bree Giffen -  Not sure why they are called Tories. 

Edited by Odaks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

If we start censoring topics certain people don't like, where does it end? Who gets to decide what is allowed and what isn't (other than the Lindens, that is), and if we start that discussion, isn't that in and of itself sort of political?

We don’t have an off topic section for a reason.

SL related discussion dominantly.

If I wanted to read annoying political posts I’d reactivate my Facebook account so I can watch my family fling crap at eachother online all day.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

Alwin, I have sympathy for your position. RL international politics radically changed my life back in March of 1994 and my preference is to keep RL squabbles out of SL.

My compromise with Freedom of Thought & Expression is to UnFollow threads that become too painful. It bothers me that I might - in doing so - be somewhat disrespectful of the Posters, but I have learned to deal proactively with my own mental hygiene. I slept about 4 hours a night for some years after my adventures and I don’t care to evoke those memories if I can avoid them 🙂

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b3e72e74e2c74a46e7

Yes, we always have the choice to not read things. It is in no way disrespectful of posters to do so. None. Not every thread or every post can be read, unless that is your entire life, and no one knows if you've not read the posts. Drinking is helpful too. :)  

PS. Similarly, I've had to go on a news "diet" in RL. I read enough to stay semi-current, but try to avoid immersing myself in the gory details that keep me up at nights. (And I'm still probably better informed than a certain type of 'merkin voter.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Does it work like plants, you name it and talk to it and hope it grows?

I bet if you ask most men, they have a name for it, or a former/current lover has given it one.  Mine had been Herman, Rudolph, Simba, and, my least favorite, Princess Petunia.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Europeans have been in a constant state of unceasing war both internally and externally since the time of the Neanderthals with one exception: after 1945.

So yeah... maybe the US has also been in constant war since it got Europeans... but it's also had internal peace since the end of it's last genocide...
- and a lot of that peace has been for the same reason Europe now has peace... a large federal government body that has as it's primary goal, incompetence... Thwart the plans of any would-be faction and any attempts to divide out again and you keep the peace...

A lesson people all over the Northern Hemisphere are forgetting.

There are so many wrong facts in this post, that I really don't know where to begin... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elena Core said:

Me reading the tension in a thread that was obviously a joke... 

giphy.gif

Two possibilities come to mind:-

a) It was a direct continuance of Project Fear campaigning; the likes of which have been flooding the UK since 2017, or

b) especially given the absence of the OP since the opening post, it was a blatant attempt to troll.

Either way, I find it difficult to view as humorous!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheesecurd said:

We don’t have an off topic section for a reason.

SL related discussion dominantly.

If I wanted to read annoying political posts I’d reactivate my Facebook account so I can watch my family fling crap at eachother online all day.

You weren't actually forced to open this thread and read it. 

But if we're going to be sticklers for rules, I'm counting 11 threads on the 1st page of this very General Discussion Forum that have absolutely nothing to do with SL. If we're going to get rid of annoying political posts then we also need to get rid of annoying game threads, right? 

Of course, there are some who don't find those game threads annoying, just as there are some who don't find political posts annoying. 

But, yeah, if we're going to wipe the forums of anything unrelated to SL, by all means, let's get rid of 'em all. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Chronometria said:

They actually has elections in the "Democratic Simulators" region of second life - I has always wondered about that. Maybe I could run for president there and get everyone growing the wootberry trees or something.

I lived there for a while.  It's an interesting experience but fraught with as many cliques and fighting as in RL.  Wootberry trees could certainly do wonders for the mood.

19 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:
7 hours ago, anna2358 said:

The difference is that it doesn't matter a bent cent who runs the UK to an American. 

False.

The difference is that it doesn't matter a bent cent who runs the UK to most Americans.

There's a huge population that doesn't know what the UK is.

There's a huge population that doesn't know what state Oklahoma City is in.

There's a huge, red-hatted population that "don't care" and resents and are skeered by anything not 'merkin, which apparently includes Puerto Rico.

That being said, and as much as I think about migrating across the northern border, it isn't like the USA has the monopoly on stupid. There's lots of stupid going around. And Brexit? Let's see, there was a run on "what it means" on Google in the UK AFTER the original vote. So, yeah, lots of stupid everywhere.

:::goes back to eating popcorn:::

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Two possibilities come to mind:-

a) It was a direct continuance of Project Fear campaigning; the likes of which have been flooding the UK since 2017, or

b) especially given the absence of the OP since the opening post, it was a blatant attempt to troll.

Either way, I find it difficult to view as humorous!

Brexit topic is not humorous, I have family there and is not a joke to us, nor is to any European like myself

But being a troll behind or just a bad joke, the intensity of this thread is just going higher

Please, take some air

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.