Who was the leader of your country when you were born?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Republic of Kenya had JUST fought for and gained its independence from British rule, Jomo Kenyatta had been chosen as the president of the country, in 1969 he ran for election unopposed and was elected for a second term. 1974 he ran for a third term and was elected again, he died in August of 1978. I was Twelve when he died.  

President Jomo Kenyatta.jpg

• Like 2

Her Majesty Juliana Louise Emma Marie Wilhelmina of Orange-Nassau and Mecklenburg, Queen of the Netherlands and overseas territories

stamp.jpg.3cc311f6f291274c83ca46463b24507c.jpg

I'm a Republican myself though, as opposed to a Royalist, because I think the concept of being born to become a head of state is rather silly. On the other hand, in a constitutional monarchy, elections are limited to choosing members of parliament, which is much less of a circus than electing a leader.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I'm a Republican myself though, as opposed to a Royalist, because I think the concept of being born to become a head of state is rather silly. On the other hand, in a constitutional monarchy, elections are limited to choosing members of parliament, which is much less of a circus than electing a leader.

Do you want Prince Andrew? You can have him if you like, the ****. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Harry Truman.

Me too, although the first I was aware of was Eisenhower. I remember hearing political jingles for Ike on the radio before the elections in 1952. My parents were reluctant Republicans, but they preferred him to Stevenson. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
Lousy memory
  • Like 1

The queen at the time was Juliana, but the power of the royal family is limited in the Netherlands. The true power lies with parliament over which Piet de Jong was the prime minister.

So, Piet de Jong is the answer here.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_de_Jong if you are interested.

EDIT: This was when Nixon was still in the White House.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 1

Driveby strikes again and like mayflies - possibly alien salmon - we rise.

Well sweetie since the last but one Glorious Leader declared me to be a citizen of nowhere I use this as my anthem.

As for politics - iron lady and never stopped fighting yet. Since I was 17

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Driveby strikes again and like mayflies - possibly alien salmon - we rise.

Well sweetie since the last but one Glorious Leader declared me to be a citizen of nowhere I use this as my anthem.

As for politics - iron lady and never stopped fighting yet. Since I was 17

Do you like to chat about movies?

3 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I'm a fan of Robert A. Heinlein's observation:

"Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How’s that again? I missed something.
"Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let’s play that over again, too. Who decides?"

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.