Do you use WASD controls?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Also to clarify: I understand how handedness works. What I'm pondering above is whether there's a real correlation with your handedness and your keyboard/mouse habits. I believe a right-handed person could naturally prefer a left-handed mouse.

I think for me it's how the game works. I use WASD in FPS shooters because I have the mouse in my right hand all the time. In SL I use the keyboard a lot more. So it's arrows to move, letters to chat. Both hands on the keyboard, when I use ctrl, shift and alt, it's the ones on the left side of the keyboard, not the ones by the arrow keys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

understand how handedness works. What I'm pondering above is whether there's a real correlation with your handedness and your keyboard/mouse habits. I believe a right-handed person could naturally prefer a left-handed mouse.

That's an interesting hypothesis.  I suppose a left-handed mouse could make more sense to those of us who use the arrow keys, but that never occurred to me.  I use my right hand for the mouse and my left hand on the arrow keys and for CTRL/Shift/Alt.  I have no idea why.  It just seems natural, which means that in my case your hypothesis doesn't work. I suppose if I played games, I might have brought different habits to SL, but I don't, so I didn't.  

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's an interesting hypothesis.  I suppose a left-handed mouse could make more sense to those of us who use the arrow keys, but that never occurred to me.  I use my right hand for the mouse and my left hand on the arrow keys and for CTRL/Shift/Alt.  I have no idea why.  It just seems natural, which means that in my case your hypothesis doesn't work. I suppose if I played games, I might have brought different habits to SL, but I don't, so I didn't.  

But this goes back to everything I said in my first post.

If I did what you did, I feel like I'd develop carpal tunnel in three days flat, or I have to angle my keyboard about 30-45 degrees and make typing really awkward.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Arrows. Right hand. I'm not a gamer........

Oddly enough though, the A and S keys on my old laptop have worn smooth.

And the left shift key on my current laptop....the t has gone, and the f has lost its curly head. So it clearly says..........shi*......

I blame long fingernails, unless there's a message there.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If I did what you did, I feel like I'd develop carpal tunnel in three days flat, or I have to angle my keyboard about 30-45 degrees and make typing really awkward.

Or just sit slightly to the right of center.  It's all in what you're used to.  Never having played games, I didn't come to SL even knowing that WASD was an option until I was well set in my current way of doing things.  No magic, just habits.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's all in what you're used to.  Never having played games, I didn't come to SL even knowing that WASD was an option until I was well set in my current way of doing things. 

Actually, before I made my first account in early '08, the only games I played on the computer had been Chess, Patience, and occasionally "Beneath A Steal Sky" and some such. It was two years later, when I became friends with a gamer who since has been lending me some of the many games he's bought (some of them even worked on my computer, using PlayOnLinux), that I played actual 3D games

Edited by ThorinII

Like Selene, I'm a lefty (in more ways than one), and so I use the arrow keys with my right hand, and the mouse with my left. Also, I'd never remember "WASD." On the admittedly rare occasions that I do play video games, I invariably have to rebind the keys to make them work well for me.

To at least some degree, though, it is also about how you learn. I don't remember whether or not I first started using a mouse consciously with my left hand, or whether it was just instinctual: I suspect the latter. But I learned how to play guitar right handed, and that also just seems natural.

I have a lot of experience with my right hand

When my right hand is exhausted

OK, scratch that. I'll sometimes use WASD to move around. With my left hand. But arrow keys are my go-to. I guess I'm an old-old school PC gamer, starting with Doom type games and graduating more towards WASD as First Person Shooters got more advanced. 

I also drive a lot in SL, and am actually pretty good at it. Far from the top drivers, but good enough to get on leader boards regularly and winning a price or two. For a race or setting a new track PR it's always arrows. I can cruise OK with WASD, but that's it.

But I also use good keyboards with the right support. Not gaming ones, but I've earned my income from typing for many years. Need proper support for that.

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Like Selene, I'm a lefty (in more ways than one), and so I use the arrow keys with my right hand, and the mouse with my left. Also, I'd never remember "WASD." On the admittedly rare occasions that I do play video games, I invariably have to rebind the keys to make them work well for me.

To at least some degree, though, it is also about how you learn. I don't remember whether or not I first started using a mouse consciously with my left hand, or whether it was just instinctual: I suspect the latter. But I learned how to play guitar right handed, and that also just seems natural.

My guitars are all left handers ;op~

I can play right handed but the lefties feel better so I play left handed. Besides, left handed guitars retain value better. *smug*

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Haselden said:

Should try it 8456, It's alot easier then use 9 to jump, 3 to crouch. Alot of left handed gamers on SL use NumPad. 

Puts arrow keys to shame.

What works for you will not work for me.  I don't care what other people do. They are not me.

Are you left handed? Is that how you know there are so many left handers in SL when we comprise about 10% of the world's population? Is that also how you know all those left handers use the number pad instead of WASD or the arrow keys?

Edited by Selene Gregoire

When I drive my Jeep in the real world,my right hand is on the wheel and my left hand pushes any buttons needing to be pushed..

When using my phone,it's always in my right hand and my left usually pushes all the buttons..

When riding my horses the reins are always in the right hand,the left handles anything else that needs handling..

The reason I use WASD probably stems more from it being a pattern in my life since way before I ever got on a computer,than anything else.

hehehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.