Do you use WASD controls?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In most MMORPG's there is a stigma against "keyboard turners."  It does not matter which keys you use, the fact that you use the keyboard means you turn 180° half of a second slower than turning by mouse.

I'm kind of curious how many people use the pie menu tho.  I was never much of a console gamer so the pie menu to me just slows me down.

32 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It looks like there's a pattern developing here.  Gamers are more comfortable with WASD.  The rest of us like the arrows.  That makes sense.

It does when you consider that in many games a lot of the other default keybinds that you may need to use are focused around WASD. For example, Q often means to drop a held item, E often means to interact with an item, spacebar (often used to jump) is just a quick whack of the side of your thumb while your fingers are resting around WASD, etc.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

It does when you consider that in many games a lot of the other default keybinds that you may need to use are focused around WASD. For example, Q often means to drop a held item, E often means to interact with an item, spacebar (often used to jump) is just a quick whack of the side of your thumb while your fingers are resting around WASD, etc.

Yup.  Those are all things that a gamer might know, but are totally unfamiliar to most SL residents.  It's fortunate that either style works here.

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

*I* don't use my mouse to turn. I was simply giving info for those who don't know what the term is and means.

Not you specifically. Anyone that uses their mouse to turn should have a high enough DPI to avoid picking it up like that. 

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

In most MMORPG's there is a stigma against "keyboard turners."  It does not matter which keys you use, the fact that you use the keyboard means you turn 180° half of a second slower than turning by mouse.

I'm kind of curious how many people use the pie menu tho.  I was never much of a console gamer so the pie menu to me just slows me down.

*raises hand

I've never played on a console, just the pc. 

Unless of course the old timey arcade games in the original game rooms with foosball and pool tables from back in the 60s and 70s still count.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

*raises hand

I've never played on a console, just the pc. 

Unless of course the old timey arcade games in the original game rooms with foosball and pool tables from back in the 60s and 70s still count.

Similar, I’ve owned a couple consoles but not really used them. My parents had the Sears brand Pong, and my first “gaming” computer was a C64.

54 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

Not you specifically. Anyone that uses their mouse to turn should have a high enough DPI to avoid picking it up like that. 

Today that may be true. Years ago... nope. You had to actually pick up the mouse a tiny bit and move it before putting it down in order to keep turning if you were turning more than 90-180 degrees.

Besides, it's the action I was describing in terms those who don't know would understand, not the technical aspects of it. Just mimicking the motion with words. 

Keep in mind that many of us do not use a gaming mouse. Just a regular old corded or wireless.

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Similar, I’ve owned a couple consoles but not really used them. My parents had the Sears brand Pong, and my first “gaming” computer was a C64.

I don't really count Pong as most have no clue what it is now.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
it is not is is

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It was a popular “bar table-game” before Ms. Pac-Man. What next, Space Wars? Asteroids?  (Assuming I got the name right, Space Wars came out before Pong).

I know what it is. My parents got one as soon as they hit the market. It's young people that don't know.

7 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm kind of curious how many people use the pie menu tho.

I do.

Actually, I'm using FS (in Phoenix mode of course!) mainly -- but also Cool VL Viewer and Singularity  -- simply because these have the pie menu the other viewers don't have.😎

20 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

You can always tell who plays other games by how they turn in SL. 

yes.  Also I see a few people who walk vendor events the same way I do.  Face the first vendor booth, then strafe to the next booth, strafe next and so on.  Strafing means that we move sideways Shift Left | Right. Our avatar turns naturally and faces the booth when we stop moving. is less keyboard work than Turn Walk Turn

i use WASD and arrow keys interchangeably depending on what else I have to do at the same time

with some vehicles that use mulitiple keypress combinations - I use both WASD and arrow keys at the same time. Use both hands on these multi-key drive vehicles. Is a few hoverboards, skateboards and bikes which are muliti-key to do tricks with. Multi-key meaning W&S at the same time. S&C, W&E, etc

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

yes.  Also I see a few people who walk vendor events the same way I do.  Face the first vendor booth, then strafe to the next booth, strafe next and so on.  Strafing means that we move sideways Shift Left | Right. Our avatar turns naturally and faces the booth when we stop moving. is less keyboard work than Turn Walk Turn

i use WASD and arrow keys interchangeably depending on what else I have to do at the same time

with some vehicles that use mulitiple keypress combinations - I use both WASD and arrow keys at the same time. Use both hands on these multi-key drive vehicles. Is a few hoverboards, skateboards and bikes which are muliti-key to do tricks with. Multi-key meaning W&S at the same time. S&C, W&E, etc

My avatars are lazy. They strafe using the camera while standing in one spot.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

They had tabletop versions. See photo. 

A03A472F-E6FB-412D-95ED-C16EC3396FBF.jpeg

Not what I meant.

That is still a console. Foosball, pingpong/table tennis, chess and pool/billiards are tabletop games.  Pong never was. It was based on a tabletop game, pingpong/table tennis, and has always been available as a console game. It you want the tabletop version you have to buy this:

What-are-the-Dimensions-of-a-Regulation-

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.