Jump to content
Daniel Voyager

Last Names Still No ETA

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Thanks for that! That's actually pretty interesting. I know it can't exactly predict the future, but it's still good to see how things were done and possibly offer some (like me) a general idea of what kinds of things we could look forward to. I asked a few of my friends who've been around since the stone age and they couldn't remember. Thanks again! :) 

You're welcome! According to that list, there were 998 residents with the last name Tamalyn, yet I have only encountered two others in the past 9 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

You're welcome! According to that list, there were 998 residents with the last name Tamalyn, yet I have only encountered two others in the past 9 years.

The attrition rate has always been horrible for Second Life, mostly because of the learning curve and secondarily because there is no "game" to follow :D. So that isn't surprising.  I had a friend who is older who had the same name (almost exactly first and last) as someone else and they LOOKED very much alike (well there were lots less choices then) but on the whole I don't see many avatars with the same last names as my friends. DeCuir is the only one that I run into very often. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The attrition rate has always been horrible for Second Life, mostly because of the learning curve and secondarily because there is no "game" to follow :D. So that isn't surprising.  I had a friend who is older who had the same name (almost exactly first and last) as someone else and they LOOKED very much alike (well there were lots less choices then) but on the whole I don't see many avatars with the same last names as my friends. DeCuir is the only one that I run into very often. 

Yeah, and then the usage count has a lot to do with it, too. For instance, the link I posted sorts the names by usage. There are/were 77,776 Aeons vs only 998 Tamalyns!

Not surprisingly, a lot of the names I see on that first page are the ones I've seen the most in world.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The way things were in 2004 was you typed in the first name of your choice then picked a last name from a list. I don't recall it having been a drop down list. The list was, I think, 25 names. You could refresh the page and the names would change. But if you refreshed a second time you got the first list. So a total of 50. It was still that way in 2009, except that may have been a drop down, that being the last year I created an alt.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The way things were in 2004 was you typed in the first name of your choice then picked a last name from a list. I don't recall it having been a drop down list. The list was, I think, 25 names. You could refresh the page and the names would change. But if you refreshed a second time you got the first list. So a total of 50. It was still that way in 2009, except that may have been a drop down, that being the last year I created an alt.

 

Yep that's how it was in 2007,  they used some portal service that went web1.secondlife.com/signup or some such, changing the web1 to 2 or such would get you new lists of names,  I ended up with whitfield,  somebody snagged moe on me,  so I took meh bigmoe.  wishing I could of gotten the moe account :/   

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone said they heard the fee was $35? Last I heard was "There may be a small fee." On whose planet is $35 a small fee? I have an alt with a premium account, I'd like to give her a last name, but I sure as h--- am not paying $35 for a last name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Distraida said:

Someone said they heard the fee was $35? Last I heard was "There may be a small fee." On whose planet is $35 a small fee? I have an alt with a premium account, I'd like to give her a last name, but I sure as h--- am not paying $35 for a last name.

Look farther back in the thread or use the forum search feature - the source of that has already been covered.

Boiling it down for you however: The comment that was sourced from suggested that the price might be equivalent to a couple of months of Premium membership. At the time the comment was made, Premium was $9.95 a month with Quarterly rates in the high 20's as cost.

At 35, that is equivalent to about three and a half months - just above the cost of Quarterly.

As much as I hate to make the comparison, most MMOs with a paid subscription of any kind charge for an account level name change with some charging for individual character name changes as well.

With all that this service will entail for Second Life on the technical side? Count your blessings that it's being aimed at being that cheap.

Mind, things I'd pay for include the ability to clone an inventory from one account to another (cue the screaming and gnashing of teeth from content creators) or some similar system/set up. Heck, I'd even find some way to save up enough to pay for a one time upgrade to a 4096 tier level (I think that's what the old Lifetime Accounts have).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

 

 

 

The only Official word I ever saw put the cost around $20-25.00.   That comes from a Townhall meeting last Nov - referenced on Vanity's page about name changes:

image.png.1b9a5bce3534756ca4b98a2647773531.png

Yup.. the key word being "estimates" :)  - rather than anything set is stone; hence my reference to it being an "example"; as per the most recent discussion (Oz, April, June 25th, 2019), the fee is still very much "TBD". Thanks for pointing me back; I was so buried in trying to get through Ebbe's MTL audio / video & catch-up on my other SL (and Sansar!) stuff, I hadn't taken a deep dive back through my notes :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Regarding costs to have a 'cherished plate' surname ... Patch enquired inworld what, generally, people would consider paying for such a feature. I went in at 9.99 usa dollars, but others were willing to pay 99 dollars and the highest bid was 200 usa dollars. So I upped my expenditure to 19.99 usa dollars, " and not a cent more" if I may quote myself at the time. But I see from above posts I may have to to stretch to 25 - 35 usa dollars. If its 25 I will mumble and pay. If its 35 I will mumble, grumble, for a week, then pay. If its above 35 I will have to seriously rethink my options :|

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 10:47 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

The way things were in 2004 was you typed in the first name of your choice then picked a last name from a list. I don't recall it having been a drop down list. The list was, I think, 25 names. You could refresh the page and the names would change. But if you refreshed a second time you got the first list. So a total of 50. It was still that way in 2009, except that may have been a drop down, that being the last year I created an alt.

You could try again, and again, and again over the days, weeks, months that followed to see if a last name popped up that you wanted.  The last name selection system encouraged people to do so.  To LL, it seemed that last names discouraged people in the new sign-up process, and so they eliminated the last names.  So, instead of improving last name selection they eliminated last names, in an epic case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  See timestamp 40:50.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

You could try again, and again, and again over the days, weeks, months that followed to see if a last name popped up that you wanted.  The last name selection system encouraged people to do so.  To LL, it seemed that last names discouraged people in the new sign-up process, and so they eliminated the last names.  So, instead of improving last name selection they eliminated last names, in an epic case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  See timestamp 40:50.

 

Um... I was here when all that bs went down so I don't get why you are telling me things I've known for years?

Or are you confusing "2009 being the last year I created an alt" with "2009 being the last year I logged in"? confusedcat.gif.088bf39623ba33c3cdcc5334aacb1e15.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Regarding costs to have a 'cherished plate' surname ... Patch enquired inworld what, generally, people would consider paying for such a feature. I went in at 9.99 usa dollars, but others were willing to pay 99 dollars and the highest bid was 200 usa dollars. So I upped my expenditure to 19.99 usa dollars, " and not a cent more" if I may quote myself at the time. But I see from above posts I may have to to stretch to 25 - 35 usa dollars. If its 25 I will mumble and pay. If its 35 I will mumble, grumble, for a week, then pay. If its above 35 I will have to seriously rethink my options :|

If they are smart, they will start it really high and then walk it down over time.  There is a lot of pent up demand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how would we know when this feature becomes available? Dashboard? Or will it be announced in the forums? I never know where to check o.O 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will likely be announced through a Blog. As of right now however, it's a while away from even being started let alone being released.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

It will likely be announced through a Blog. As of right now however, it's a while away from even being started let alone being released.

From the Meet the Lindens talk, the project has been started, but they have found way more pieces of old code that are impacted than they ever imagined.  They are plugging away at it, bit by bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have a fairly good heads up when it's close to release,  probably before any official announcement.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys!

Linden labs should have kept the return of last names under wraps until they've confirmed everything from their side. Made sure everything was ready system wise. Then tell us that it's coming with the definite due date. NOT! mention something then can't actually do it in the time given. 

That's just my opinion though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FashionEye said:

Hey guys!

Linden labs should have kept the return of last names under wraps until they've confirmed everything from their side. Made sure everything was ready system wise. Then tell us that it's coming with the definite due date. NOT! mention something then can't actually do it in the time given. 

That's just my opinion though.

you'r here for a while already.. you could have known by now :) 
But it really are very complicated processes, it's not that easy to fit in code that had it's start over 15 yrs ago.
I do agree the enthousiams was a bit to forward in expectations when to be available :SwingingFriends:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I do agree the enthousiams was a bit to forward in expectations when to be available

With any project, estimate the cost and double it.  Then estimate the time and triple it.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

With any project, estimate the cost and double it.  Then estimate the time and triple it.

 

scotty-classic.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

scotty-classic.jpg

Maybe it will happen after the current marketplace, EEP, Animesh, Tilia, BOM, SSP/Bellisseria, and other changes are done. Say, mid-2020.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe it will happen after the current marketplace, EEP, Animesh, Tilia, BOM, SSP/Bellisseria, and other changes are done. Say, mid-2020.

I don't think I'll be holding my breath any time soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do they need to do except modify a little code at the registration portal? Code they already have. Last names were working for years in third party registration portals, and I suspect they would still be working today if LL hadn’t shut them down when they discovered people were still using them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...