Last Names Still No ETA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Obviously this isn't going to make me popular with everyone who refuses to ever pay LL a dime.

Yah, yah~nods, nods~ "Because entitlement attitude is a thing." @Adam Spark gonna loves you! Even though he is NOT the target customer for this feature and is not forced to use and pay for it, he still complains about it. Go figure.

12 hours ago, ananoelle said:

This name change thing appeals mostly Resident last name holders and Sandy8163838282 type usernames. 

Very true, though also not necessarily. I have been Alyona Su since the beginning. My alt has been Alyona Chernov since even before the beginning (it's my original) - I made that account when I didn't really know what I wanted and I didn't want to go through each of the alphabet list and the loads of names in each. Hahahah SO, yeah - looking to change her name, mostly because I'm tired of it - and that one is my roleplay character (and I'm not a fan of Display Names). Just saying. :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You probably have a shirt or house already and you definitely have an avatar already. By your reasoning, why would you pay for a different one?

Because of the mere pennies cost? I'll pay $1000L to change my name, gladly. Not $30 USD, though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Yah, yah~nods, nods~ "Because entitlement attitude is a thing." @Adam Spark gonna loves you! Even though he is NOT the target customer for this feature and is not forced to use and pay for it, he still complains about it. Go figure.

Very true, though also not necessarily. I have been Alyona Su since the beginning. My alt has been Alyona Chernov since even before the beginning (it's my original) - I made that account when I didn't really know what I wanted and I didn't want to go through each of the alphabet list and the loads of names in each. Hahahah SO, yeah - looking to change her name, mostly because I'm tired of it - and that one is my roleplay character (and I'm not a fan of Display Names). Just saying. :)

You say I have an entitlement attitude for complaining and you freely admit you don't like display names, all in the same post.

All I am doing is voicing my opinion folks. Not an expectation. If I expected it, I'd merely be asking for it, wouldn't I?

14 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

You say I have an entitlement attitude for complaining and you freely admit you don't like display names, all in the same post.

All I am doing is voicing my opinion folks. Not an expectation. If I expected it, I'd merely be asking for it, wouldn't I?

Like where you asked for it here?

13 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

I have been pleading for years for a basic return to first name/last name. It used to be free. It used to be just the way it works. Thats what I have requested. Thats what I feel the community has requested for years. Not this paid extra.

And said you didn't want to pay for it here?

23 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

If it really is because of the servers having to update everything - which they will or won't no matter the financial windfall, so forgive me for not buying that - then put us in a queue when we order a new name and make us wait for them to be processed in a smooth manner. But for the love of God don't make us pay for this.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2019 at 3:03 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Remember that the last official estimate on cost of changing name was $35 US (I went OMG and was happy I didn't have a need or want). So you would be better off to make them Premium LOL.   That could CHANGE of course. 

I'd be curious as to the "official" source for this - I've attended just about every single meeting (be it User Group meeting, Meet the Lindens, Town Hall, etc), for the purposes of documenting them, and the *only* official statement I've heard on possible cost is that it is still very much TBD, the one exception being Grumpity Linden who gave an *example* of it being potentially costly enough to discourage frequent use.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

For those interested, Oz and April's comments on why "last names" is taking so long, and more general feedback on the capability (much of which already kown) and their replies to questions on the capability, as give at their June 25th MTL session:

The return of Last Names – a further update with audio

The post contains both bullet-points of comments made and audio extracts from my full recording of the session.

Edited by Inara Pey
Because I can't spell "known" at the first attempt... (one of many such issues I have with worms - I mean worDs ...
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Inara Pey said:

I'd be curious as to the "official" source for this - I've attended just about every single meeting (be it User Group meeting, Meet the Lindens, Town Hall, etc), for the purposes of documenting them, and the *only* official statement I've heard on possible cost is that it is still very much TBD, the one exception being Grumpity Linden who gave an *example* of it being potentially costly enough to discourage frequent use.

While I am painstakingly NOW taking screenshots and notes and backups and adding sources on my blog et, I was not then. It was in a Town Hall meeting and I think it was Keira (who I didn't know much about then) ?  We talked about it here on the forums so unless that post got lost, if you are a good forum sleuth (I am so not) you should be able to find some info.

I never pass along comments that are NOT made by someone official. That has been a rule forever -- unless of course I also comment that there has been NO OFFICIAL word and it is my opinion. 

That's the best that I can do. 

I definitely remember the comment as "I" was thinking more in that $10 range and was having an OMG moment.  It could "possibly" have been after the camera stopped rolling but I really don't think so. Hopefully someone else can remember more.   It was NOT recently.  

Immediate edit.  It may have been Grumpity.  IF it was "just an example" (and Ebbe does that OH SO OFTEN) then I think it would be good for the PTB not to go that route.  There were a lot of folks that took it as a real possibility at that time.   

Just adding a poke to @Inara Pey since she will be reading this. Yesterday Patch confirmed that he is still thinking over the 1024 trailer plot release and it is not a done deal. Here is his quote (I believe it is on the Camping Tonight thread).

706740930_Patchsreplyto1024trailerlots.png.685c929105e2f89768662680c9b749cf.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Like where you asked for it here?

And said you didn't want to pay for it here?

I only stated a gripe with the price tag, not the return of last names. I have asked for the latter.

All I am saying here is that I would love to have this feature as a basic feature that doesn't add to the expense of SL. It won't be, and I'm cool with that. I'm cool with anything and everything LL does, because at the end of the day its up to me how I use it to my advantage.

That does not, or should not, preclude me from being disappointed and stating said disappointment for the purpose of feedback.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Those sinks, not payments to LL.

The L$ is removed from the economy in the same magical way LL add L$ to the economy with stipend's or game rewards

They are still payments. Buying L's costs money. The more L's I spend, the more I need to buy. The money goes into the system, making it more valuable for LL.

39 minutes ago, Inara Pey said:

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

While I am painstakingly NOW taking screenshots and notes and backups and adding sources on my blog et, I was not then. It was in a Town Hall meeting and I think it was Keira (who I didn't know much about then) ?  We talked about it here on the forums so unless that post got lost, if you are a good forum sleuth (I am so not) you should be able to find some info.

I never pass along comments that are NOT made by someone official. That has been a rule forever -- unless of course I also comment that there has been NO OFFICIAL word and it is my opinion. 

That's the best that I can do. 

I definitely remember the comment as "I" was thinking more in that $10 range and was having an OMG moment.  It could "possibly" have been after the camera stopped rolling but I really don't think so. Hopefully someone else can remember more.   It was NOT recently.  

Immediate edit.  It may have been Grumpity.  IF it was "just an example (and Ebbe does that OH SO OFTEN) then I think it would be good for the PTB not to go that route.  There were a lot of folks that took it as a real possibility at that time.   

Just adding a poke to @Inara Pey since she will be reading this. Yesterday Patch confirmed that he is still thinking over the 1024 trailer plot release and it is not a done deal. Here is his quote (I believe it is on the Camping Tonight thread.

706740930_Patchsreplyto1024trailerlots.png.685c929105e2f89768662680c9b749cf.png

The only Official word I ever saw put the cost around $20-25.00.   That comes from a Townhall meeting last Nov - referenced on Vanity's page about name changes:

image.png.1b9a5bce3534756ca4b98a2647773531.png

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only Official word I ever saw put the cost around $20-25.00.   That comes from a Townhall meeting last Nov - referenced on Vanity's page about name changes:

image.png.1b9a5bce3534756ca4b98a2647773531.png

Thanks. Not going to try finding my source of the $35 but a few months of premium membership at the old rate  "to me" would mean 3-5 time $9.95 -- the monthly rate then -- so 30 to 50 dollars.   That doesn't seem like what we were talking about here long ago or how people thought it was 35.  We COULD have all been confused and making assumptions --- just like the 1024 trailer plot release to follow the main 512 release (THAT IS STILL TO BE DECIDED for folks reading this that missed that thread). 

Whatever it turns out to be it will be OK for some folks and not for others. There were a lot of people "fainting" (virtually of course) when they felt it was in their "perceived as too much range".   I  have no need so wasn't a personal thing for me.  I do remember (in another meeting) Ebbe stating that people could change back and over and over again if they wanted (with a fee of course). This was early on in the Name Change talks.  Back THEN it certainly didn't seem like it was going to be all that expensive. 

So plenty of confusion and likely things have changed and will change over time. No matter what we hear (or think we hear) the only way to know what will BE is to wait and see. It could be a very long time before name changes go into affect so a "good guess" now may not even be close to the reality when it arrives. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but still vaguely relevant; to those who were around when last names were able to be chosen, how did it work?

Were you given a list of surnames alphabetically to select from a drop down menu on your dashboard/account? Would you roughly estimate hundreds of names available or maybe much less? I know this is probably splitting hairs really, but I'm really just curious. In all my years on the grid I haven't come across too many similar surnames (only on occasion that for whatever reason 'stood out'). Are we likely to see a sudden influx of accounts with the same 50 surnames or are the options more varied, meaning, are they a mix of themes and ethnicities or just... random words? After the mixed reception regarding cost, I imagine paying for a surname that's generally bland won't thrill some either. Can anyone shed a little light at all to educate inquiring minds, please? (And thank you) :) 

5 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Slightly off topic but still vaguely relevant; to those who were around when last names were able to be chosen, how did it work?

Were you given a list of surnames alphabetically to select from a drop down menu on your dashboard/account? Would you roughly estimate hundreds of names available or maybe much less? I know this is probably splitting hairs really, but I'm really just curious. In all my years on the grid I haven't come across too many similar surnames (only on occasion that for whatever reason 'stood out'). Are we likely to see a sudden influx of accounts with the same 50 surnames or are the options more varied, meaning, are they a mix of themes and ethnicities or just... random words? After the mixed reception regarding cost, I imagine paying for a surname that's generally bland won't thrill some either. Can anyone shed a little light at all to educate inquiring minds, please? (And thank you) :) 

Hmm, trying to remember. I do know I had a choice of last names, the ones that were in the rotation at the moment. Back when we had last names, they would offer each name for a specific length of time, then remove it from the rotation. You can figure out how long an avatar has been in SL if you know the period their last name was issued.

I *think* it was a box where you just kept refreshing until a name popped up that you liked, as opposed to a dropdown box. I don't know how many names they offered at a time, since I stopped looking once I chose my own. :)

ETA: The name choice was done during the sign up process itself, not later on by using Dashboard or whatever.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Here you go, some interesting data on last names from back then: SL Name Watch

Thanks for that! That's actually pretty interesting. I know it can't exactly predict the future, but it's still good to see how things were done and possibly offer some (like me) a general idea of what kinds of things we could look forward to. I asked a few of my friends who've been around since the stone age and they couldn't remember. Thanks again! :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

All I will say to this is I have advocated for many price increases due to my understanding of the business. 

So much understanding that you couldn’t fathom at all why they had decided to charge for this service. Until it was literally explained out to you, you just heard something, saw red and decided to rant. If you had ANY understanding of businesses and how they operate, you would have had the answers already without them needing to be given to you.

I would love to see increases across the board in exchange for lower land costs. 

Which is exactly what is happening, where have you been hiding for the last year or two. 

I don't feel violated by their charges, because quite frankly I don't see any justification for paying for a name change and therefore won’t. I'll save my money for things of value like tier.

If you didn’t feel at least a little violated you wouldn’t have took to the forum to harangue in such a hoity-toity way. You proclaim your intentions to not spend your money on a name change but instead on tier. Either way the lab gets your cash so..go lab!

The purpose of these forums is to voice opinion. I did that. That is all.

Opinion : “Hm, I really am unsure regarding the costs involved in changing ones name. I wonder what reasons the lab must have for this objectionable behaviour”

Adam : “Charging for....WHAT TYPE OF HOLY FRITTERY THAT WONT AFFECT ME IS GOING ON HERE!!! I AM OFFENDED AND VIOLATED AND THOU SHALT NEVER HAVE MY MONEY!!! okay okay you can have it BUT ONLY FOR TIER!!”

39 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Definitely from a drop down list, but not on your dashboard because you were picking the name when you signed up and thus didn't have dashboard yet.  It was on the sign up page where you key in the avatar/account name that you want to use.  A batch of names only stuck around for a while and then a new batch was brought out.  LL has said that it will work roughly the same in the future.  

That SL Name Watch site is great for historical reference.  I don't remember how many names were in each batch, but that site might even give that info - I can't currently get there from work, as they classify it as a 'Social Networking' site, which they don't let us get to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still on page 2 and still can't use vids without CC, so here's my 2 cents while I catch up... if i catch up.

This is a situation of LL needing to fix something that wasn't broken, breaking it to put in something that was an error in judgment, and now needing to fix the mess they created.

They need to reinvent the old first and last name signups to replace the code that has been added since the original signups were ripped out. Then offer it to new accounts going forward. 

Accounts with the last name 'Resident' should be allowed to change to the new name format, without charge, once. And only once.

There doesn't need to be a feature that allows people to change user names "at will". We already have that feature with display names. No need to be redundant and choke things up with more code when we have long term issues that haven't been fully resolved. Patches are great and very welcome but they are not permanent fixes, inasmuch as there can be a 'permanent' fix for SL.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Opinion : “Hm, I really am unsure regarding the costs involved in changing ones name. I wonder what reasons the lab must have for this objectionable behaviour”

Adam : “Charging for....WHAT TYPE OF HOLY FRITTERY THAT WONT AFFECT ME IS GOING ON HERE!!! I AM OFFENDED AND VIOLATED AND THOU SHALT NEVER HAVE MY MONEY!!! okay okay you can have it BUT ONLY FOR TIER!!”

The former is light years closer to what I said than the latter and you know it.

Just adding some historical stuff on the original (well 13 years ago anyway) method of names.   Drop down list as noted. Seems like maybe 50?  The list didn't go on for-e-ver but there were plenty to choose from. 

And yes SL Name Watch was fun.  "I" was one of those folks that picked from the front of the alphabet AND I had just watched "Aeon Flux" (the movie) and so picked Aeon naturally.  Amazing that I have only met a few other Aeons over the years. I have met one Allen (LEARN AVATAR times) that I can remember. And Gossipgirls were ALLLLLLLL OOOOOVER and had their own sim. This was long before I watched the Gossip Girl TV show or even knew what it was about (thank you Internet TV).

image.thumb.png.8eb50aae6ecfbaabe6339df7946b42f3.png

My historical comment:

Some names went out to satellite sign up pages (like for schools and such) where folks could join through a different gateway.  My alt got her last name long after they disappeared from the SL website by FINDING one of those forgotten gateways.  This was in relation to a Gogo  blogger challenge about making a new alt from scratch with basically very little money.  

Lani was also picked from the top of the list and I had lived in Ashland for awhile (obviously I do a name recognition thing in my choices :D).   It seems unlikely that the data for how many days the name was active is correct for those names that were on gateways sites. I don't know if gateways shared names with the SL website or had their own but from this site it SEEMS like they may have shared and then the name got retired from the SL website and that is where that data comes from. Some older official tech person would likely know the answer to that. 

image.thumb.png.bdb8131cb70e706a3bb955a6e0542419.png

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.