Last Names Still No ETA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

According to Oz Linden today the lab are still working on it (knocking it down one system at a time). Oz did not mention any ETA on it. 

• There will be a way to pick from a list and it will change from time to time 
  • The lab are not planning on re-using the same last names like before 
  • The lab are still trying to work on possible costs (could of a limit of once a week for name change)
  • New residents will continue to get the default "Resident"  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

Having announced this back before SL15B, now 461 days and counting, furthers the sentiment that residents are second class. I do not feel we are a priority to the Lab to make happen in a timely fashion (late 2018 - mid 2019). I listened to what was said, I understand it is a difficult task but you said it, make it happen. To come to us today without so much as a timetable as to when it will happen was huge disappointment.

commandments.gif

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I never thought I cared about this but I have an alt or two for whom new names could lead to a small spending spree. Probably not all the way to Premium membership given the new rates, but somebody else might take it that far, maybe.

Remember that the last official estimate on cost of changing name was $35 US (I went OMG and was happy I didn't have a need or want). So you would be better off to make them Premium LOL.   That could CHANGE of course.  

I think Inara's last post (at least the last that I read on the subject) suggested that name change was tabled for now but not completely forgotten.  Priorities shift -- often.    That would be a good place to keep track of any progress.   Living In a Modem World - Inara Pey. 

:D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I remember hearing about the name change could be a premium perk plus/or a fee but they were still working on it and hadnt decided. They still havent decided lol.

The fee I can get on board with but having premium as a requirement I cannot. What happens when the premium isnt renewed, would you get to keep the last name, or would you lose it? 

59 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

What happens when the premium isnt renewed, would you get to keep the last name, or would you lose it? 

i think we be able to keep our name, but yanno!

it could be worse even

like when you downgrade your name gets changed to Basic23 Resident, and the next person gets renamed to Basic24 Resident

😸

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

furthers the sentiment that residents are second class.

please tell me in what way you are second class?

there are NO limits or restrictions in any way how you can play SL and how i can do it...or even how anyone can do it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Remember that the last official estimate on cost of changing name was $35 US (I went OMG and was happy I didn't have a need or want). So you would be better off to make them Premium LOL.   That could CHANGE of course.  

I'd repressed any estimates I ever heard, but US$ 35 is less than I might have expected, and anyway it's drop in the bucket compared to suiting out a freshly mesh-festooned avatar. It's not a thing I'm awaiting impatiently -- if it never happens, my Second Life is not materially inconvenienced -- but I was just surprised that I could see myself doing it, with some unintended economic benefits for both LL and content merchants.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

Having announced this back before SL15B, now 461 days and counting, furthers the sentiment that residents are second class. I do not feel we are a priority to the Lab to make happen in a timely fashion (late 2018 - mid 2019). I listened to what was said, I understand it is a difficult task but you said it, make it happen.

Because it's all about you, right? But if that's your sentiment then YOU GO, GIRL! Just, you know, change all the "we" to "I" and you're all set. Because you do not speak for me and the other 99.9% of SL users, "residents," or otherwise. //JustSayin'

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fox Wijaya said:

please tell me in what way you are second class?

there are NO limits or restrictions in any way how you can play SL and how i can do it...or even how anyone can do it.

The keyword there is sentiment , there are situations based on emotion that make me feel as through we're second class. For example when people say things like "I don't use display names" or  "I turn them off". My display name is my name and when I am addressed I would prefer it be by my display name. When people use my username, I generally ignore them.

7 minutes ago, MichaMoz said:

The keyword there is sentiment , there are situations based on emotion that make me feel as through we're second class. For example when people say things like "I don't use display names" or  "I turn them off". My display name is my name and when I am addressed I would prefer it be by my display name. When people use my username, I generally ignore them.

sentiment is something support or development can't heal or repair.. the forums aren't very usefull for solutons either

Edited by Fox Wijaya
i'm no dr, can't scale special casus up
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Because it's all about you, right? But if that's your sentiment then YOU GO, GIRL! Just, you know, change all the "we" to "I" and you're all set. Because you do not speak for me and the other 99.9% of SL users, "residents," or otherwise. //JustSayin'

No, I do not speak for all residents that is why I used "I" and not "we". I am simply voicing my frustration that this has taken as long as it has and there is no end in sight.

Oz said that the problem is not so much in bringing back last names, but in allowing the actual change of an existing name.  The original coders never envisioned a name change, so many things were coded using the Name rather than the UUID Key of an account.  Thus, almost the entirety of SL code has to be touched for the Name Change - and that is most definitely not an easy task.  Touching pretty much every bit of code also means lots and lots and lots and lots of testing.  

This is exactly why LL is reluctant to give dates on many of their projects.  They start in on something thinking it won't be too bad - because logically it sounds simple enough - only to find out as they dig into code that their grand idea is going to become a nightmare.  They have to be super, super careful that they do not break anything when changing stuff.

@MichaMoz - Would you prefer they rushed it for your benefit and then you lost half of your inventory because they missed some pieces of code that is buried in never-never land somewhere?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 12

15 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

According to Oz Linden today the lab are still working on it (knocking it down one system at a time). Oz did not mention any ETA on it

And this surprises you why?????  lolololol     look at  everything and then you will see a pattern of behavior.    the check is in the mail ..... the-check-is-in-the-mail-my-word-is-my-bond.jpg.07efa8a1b762e81025cc8b2952633932.jpg1ehyj8.jpg.1f982ef1f7a56bbe6392a4598fc99979.jpg

2 minutes ago, Monique Bellambi said:

Why did they do away with last names anyway? I left for a few years and when I came back everyone's name was different. 

Oz Linden touched on the reason in the SL16B podcast.  The metrics at the time showed that a very large number of new signups were abandoned when it came to choosing a last name. So the then LL CEO/senior management made the call to drop Last Names and go with nicks

remembering that LL was in quite  lot of trouble at that time, regions were being abandoned, mainland was hollowing out as the decline set in. Winter had come to SL as it were.  So anything that impeded any new signups was done away with, and last names got the chop

now that the long decline has stabilised (hopefully),  then is now the time to re-look at it. Well that's how I think LL are looking at it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MichaMoz said:

My display name is my name and when I am addressed I would prefer it be by my display name. When people use my username, I generally ignore them.

Absolutely! But only as long as you use the proper Roman Alphabet. if you use non-Roman Alphabet to display your display name, then all bets are off. As for how long it is taking to get Name-Change feature implemented, well - if your entire house burns down and it's not rebuilt in a week and fully furnished along with all the stuff you've collected over the years, does this also give the sentiment that you are not a priority for the builders?

Here's the thing: Name-Change is a bonus. It's even amazing that they thought it up. Linden Lab owes you, and me, and everyone else *nothing* whatsoever, other than promised features included with a premium subscription (by the way: Hey: @Oz Linden - I understand that you need to fix Voice Morphing if you haven't already.)

So, Linden Lab provides a GIFT HORSE feature, and because it's taking longer to sift through *spaghetti code* to ensure nothing *breaks* when it is implemented and you look that gift horse in the mouth and complain about the teeth? I'm just expressing what your comments look like, I'm not saying that's what it is. Mostly.

Though, you should prepare yourself by fastening your seatbelt as the current rumor-mill it outputting: Premium feature only, possible cost $35-$50 U.S. *per change*. I, myself, am betting between $25 and $35 U.S. as that seems reasonable.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Absolutely! But only as long as you use the proper Roman Alphabet. if you use non-Roman Alphabet to display your display name, then all bets are off.

sometimes a username is better ... also in this case if you ask me  :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.