Last Names Still No ETA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

39 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

What do they need to do except modify a little code at the registration portal? Code they already have.

If it's like any code that I wrote over ten years ago, they'll want to scrap it and totally start over.  Hardware changes, software UI changes, other systems change so that they are no longer compatible with an old, obsolete bit of code that may have been fantastic a decade ago.  Login names and UUIDs are our unique identifiers.  Any part of the system that deals with them has to work flawlessly, behind layers of security, or it will cause a boatload of accounting, legal, and public relation nightmares.  I can't begin to imagine how many tripwires a coder would have to deal with in a project like this, or how much scrutiny the code would need to survive before release.  Even if the login name project isn't on the back burner, I wouldn't expect it to be deployed quickly. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

What do they need to do except modify a little code at the registration portal? Code they already have. Last names were working for years in third party registration portals, and I suspect they would still be working today if LL hadn’t shut them down when they discovered people were still using them.

According to the Meet the Lindens talk, apparently many of the original coders assumed that one's name would never, ever change - and so they coded much of the entire SL system under that assumption.  From a coding stand-point, that has to be an absolute nightmare - especially when coupled with the spaghetti code that the entire system has likely turned in to.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

According to the Meet the Lindens talk, apparently many of the original coders assumed that one's name would never, ever change - and so they coded much of the entire SL system under that assumption.  From a coding stand-point, that has to be an absolute nightmare - especially when coupled with the spaghetti code that the entire system has likely turned in to.

So they gotta rework the coding from the ground up, is what you are saying.

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think this is exactly right. If users would be satisfied throwing away their old Resident accounts and starting over with all new two-named accounts, they'd surely have been able to have the whole thing through QA in a few weeks. Instead allowing an existing account to change names? That's a Big Deal. (I'm pretty sure there's exactly one instance of this happening: Torley Linden. I've heard it took multiple days of concerted effort by developers to make that work for that one account, back when SL was new and had many fewer layers of spaghetti code.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If users would be satisfied throwing away their old Resident accounts and starting over with all new two-named accounts, they'd surely have been able to have the whole thing through QA in a few weeks. Instead allowing an existing account to change names? That's a Big Deal.

As a somewhat parallel example from my experience as an administrator in RL, I had to deal a couple of times with accounts of people who had hidden alternate identities -- each time as the result of legal processes to avoid a predator -- yet had to keep a single Social Security number.  A system that assumes that everyone will have one unique name and ID gets very upset when you tell it to do something different.  

• Like 2

I was thinking if the uuid of the name cannot be replaced making it still one uuid per avi.. maybe would be it possible to just have all "resident" accounts to just resign up and either transfer their inventories to it (transfer or not - if possible)?

Then we will have last names and similar sign up dates though but since "resident" accounts started "aging an account" i believe is a thing of the past anyway..

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.