What do YOU do in Second Life?

HivieHivie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At various times over the past 12 years I have been a merchant, a pole dancer, a dressmaker, a landowner, a landscaper, a librarian, a mentor ....  but at heart I am a creator.  My own particular talent is scripting, so I spend much of my in-world time scripting everything from vendors to vehicles to landscaping tools.  I enjoy exploring to see what's new out there -- there's always something -- and I spend a good chunk of time modifying and upgrading my own region.  And dancing and chatting with friends I have known for as long as I have been in SL.  I spend very little time shopping, which I usually find frustrating and unproductive unless I am looking for something specific, and I haven't visited a club in years.  The forums are always open in the background when I am not in world, so I am in and out of them several times during a typical day -- mostly in Answers and the Creation forums but occasionally popping into General Discussion to participate in word games and other silliness.

• Like 1

I like to wonder around looking for newbies to bite.

Long long ago I had a store where I made and sold clothes.  It was too much like work.

There are days that I use SL like a radio.  I sit at home with the volume cranked up while I go about my 1st Life.

Most of the time, if I am on by myself I am shopping, exploring, playing dress up and taking pictures.

• Like 1

TL;DR: Lots.

There is so much to do in-world that I literally laugh at petty comments like "I'm so bored" or "There's nothing to do".

I enjoy boating (all kinds, sailing, motorboating, freighting) driving the roads all over every continent (Mostly freighting trucks from Atomic Infinity and Lusch - because they actually drive nice, ACS vehicles are crapola) - go helicopter flying anywhere and everywhere (goal for myself to find and land on the tallest peak in SL and did it!) and trains! SL RR is amazingly fun and relaxing to do (I'm not so much into trains, per se, but rather I love how relaxing they are to drive in SL).

All of these are amazing ways to sight-see in SL. It's amazing how much *beauty* there is all over the mainland grid when you travel old-fashioned style. When you TP everywhere all you ever see is the garbage. But when to actually travel region-to-region you see a lot of true gems.

The I like to ogle people at the lesser nudie beaches, and be a pric, er... "sensual-tease", but never get naked (because principals). Sometimes go to Open Collar region and try to spot all the alts cheating on their mains (easy to spot).

Then there's the shopping bit, mostly through Market Place (because in-world shopping is hit-or-miss as far as joyful experience goes) - and so spend time at my place or Premium Sandbox setting fun new shinies up for myself (then going to nudie beach to show it off abd be a pric... er, 'sensual tease' ~snorts~)

Then there's the GTFO (Get The Freight Out) game and role-playing (I have made the bestest Dryad avie in SL and I'll showdown with anyone, anywhere, anytime Bahahaha!)

Sheesh, if I keep going it will become an even bigger wall-o-text than it already is (which would be bad because few will even bother to read all I wrote up to this point).

• Like 1

when i was new in sl , i was working on my avatar a lot , to make it better everytime ,but now these days you buy a body and head and you are done ^^
i try to find free good clothes ,hairstyles and shoes , i have danced a lot and also visited real performers who sings live in sl  ,doing hunts for free stuff ,playing board games , like backgammon wich you do with someone else ,
playing mahjong wich you can play alone or together ,you can also do quests with a hud you have to buy or take , i play fight games with teams, where you have to shoot with a bow and fight with sword and a blowdart , you can just shoot around on a friend , to get more better and to learn , those games are almost everyday and is a lot of fun and like many people ,i also   make pictures in sl and sometimes i even join photocontest who made the best picture of ..... and the one i like , i will place  on flickr

Surfing, facepalming at SL fashion events, avoiding pests, more surfing, listening to a few choice DJ sets, facepalming at pests, vomiting at the things pests say and do, considering logging out and  never coming back, coming back, surfing... 

11 hours ago, HivieHivie said:

To put it simply, NO. 

Second Life has been the most addictive thing I've ever played

Plus I'm just curious as well since I see people who've been here for like 10 years and I'm just like 'woah what have you been doing for the past decade?'.

Based on the bolded sentence you're already past asking.

You're hooked :-). Doomed, like the rest of us. Somehow we can't let it go. Even if we stay away for years at a time, we keep in touch, we come back. Your problem won't be finding something to do, it will just be finding time to do a few of the things you want to do because there is always something new.

• Like 6

I spend too much time shopping in the Marketplace and In World

I spend too much

I spend too much time dressing up in new outfits

I spend too much time taking photos

I love to explore

I love to chat (to anybody)

I love to dance (with anybody)

I love to hang out and dance with friends, who I value very highly.

I'm addicted to SL, in World and in Forum

I'm addicted to Flickr as an SL add on.

There's a much bigger list of things I want to try and will try in the future.

Oh and I'm new........ :)

Edited by BelindaN
Final comment!
  • Like 4

When i'm not trying to make a few L$, I try and decide what to wear until i get bored and want to change, event shop, attempt to take pics, explore & sail, decorate when ever i get bored of my current place. test out things i've made outside of SL that i often never get round to uploading to sell, hanging out with friends 

I mostly spend my time developing. I love coding and especially love coding inside of SL. In terms of in world game development for example, you might not have all of the fancy features and functions that other languages, engines, studios may have but the real time development, testing and collaboration that can occur in SL is second to none of anything I have experienced in other projects in other languages or development studios. If they took away the developmental aspects of SL, I would honestly barely be in world except maybe to say hi to the occasional friend. Outside of that I just hang with people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TatianaNikolay said:

I hang out with my sister...we tend to re-decorate our land  a lot haha. Shopping, talking, blogging, and I also manage my sister's store and her bloggers. When she's not on, I'm shopping, exploring sims, hanging at the forum hangout, or plopped somewhere on our land.

Tati, you forgot to mention that you must spend about fourteen hours a day taking fashion pics of yourself (Hivie, check out the Vanity Thread, you'll see what I mean!)  And I love and envy the results you get!

As for me, it's helping newbies, teaching classes at Caledon Oxbridge, managing my small Mainland rental operation, and shopping!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Tati, you forgot to mention that you must spend about fourteen hours a day taking fashion pics of yourself (Hivie, check out the Vanity Thread, you'll see what I mean!)  And I love and envy the results you get!

As for me, it's helping newbies, teaching classes at Caledon Oxbridge, managing my small Mainland rental operation, and shopping!

Haha! Thanks :) Due to RL job...definitely not 14 hours a day, though sometimes it feels like it!

On 12/20/2018 at 8:30 AM, animats said:

I started building bikes and riding around, a lot. Over 1000km in Second Life. I've driven most of the roads in Second Life. Learned the scripting language and wrote my own vehicle controllers. Built bikes good for long road trips. Worked on region crossing problems. Bought more land and set up a bigger and better bike shop. Started going to Server User Group and meeting the people who do some of the better building and scripting in SL, plus the Linden Labs development team. Took up helicopter flying. I've been sailing a few times, and have sailing enthusiast friends. It's very peaceful.....I usually walk, drive, or fly rather than teleport if at all possible. Gives me a sense of place.

I love the idea of this. An SL road/sea trip. My time in SL right now is sporadic and I could be called away at any moment so I love the idea of an ongoing project of exploration where I won't be letting anyone down if I have to dash suddenly.

In the past I have tried walking/flying to places but I never got far...always hit a private land barrier, no fly areas when flying was the only way I could cross, a body of water that was so large it never seemed to end. I did like the idea of getting a sense of where everything actually IS on the map but I never managed it. I actually don't think I've ever seen an SL road except within RP sims. 

Could you give me some tips/advice? I guess I'd need a bike/land vehicle and a boat? How do you make sure you don't run anyone over? Actually I will start a new thread asking for advice on how to do this. I love the idea.

21 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I love the idea of this. An SL road/sea trip. My time in SL right now is sporadic and I could be called away at any moment so I love the idea of an ongoing project of exploration where I won't be letting anyone down if I have to dash suddenly.

In the past I have tried walking/flying to places but I never got far...always hit a private land barrier, no fly areas when flying was the only way I could cross, a body of water that was so large it never seemed to end. I did like the idea of getting a sense of where everything actually IS on the map but I never managed it. I actually don't think I've ever seen an SL road except within RP sims. 

Could you give me some tips/advice? I guess I'd need a bike/land vehicle and a boat? How do you make sure you don't run anyone over? Actually I will start a new thread asking for advice on how to do this. I love the idea.

Sure. For sailing, the Blake Sea is the place to be. Find a marina, and you can usually rez a boat there. There are free and cheap boats on Marketplace. SL has some very nice, elaborate boats that sail realistically, but they require practice. Start with a simple motorboat.

For land exploration, I'd suggest the Corsica and Heterocera continents. Corsica has an especially nice road system, with road signs, rez zones, and smooth curves. Bikes and cars are widely available, but not all of them are good for road trips. Many are designed for racetracks - they go fast, turn hard, are tough to keep on a road, and don't handle region crossings well. I design road bikes, and Rachel Stardust at 2RAW EXTREME sells them. She has lots of other vehicles as well, and makes it clear what they're tuned for. Myuki Mills also has a shop in Burns on Heterocera with some beautifully designed vehicles which handle well. Both places have demo rezzers, so you can try. Mills lets you rez most of his vehicles as demos and drive all day, if you want. If you get out, the demo ones disappear.

As practice, I'd suggest going to Mills' place in Burns (it's on the main road and has a railroad yard and an airport), picking a demo vehicle, and taking it out on the road there. If you turn right leaving his place, you're on Robin Loop. Just make left turns at junctions and you'll come back to where you started in about 4km. His vehicles are kind of expensive but fun to drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.