What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, Alyona Su said:

Here are some of my favorite annoyances: SL Misnomers:

• When people say "sim" meaning "region".

This isn't helped by the fact that Lindens themselves use- or at least used - "sim" in the sense of "one of those 256x256 chunks of Second Life"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

books by Douglas Adams, or the BBC radio show (which I still consider the definitive Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!)

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

I have the radio series on audio cassette. Large glass of rioja criaza in hand, headphones on bonce, and I'm in there with them. Delicious 😆

What was that about peeves.... ?

17 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My first exposure to it was the BBC TV show, which aired here on TVO (our provincial equivalent of PBS) when I was in my early teens, I think.

Ditto... I remember watching it when I was in 6th or 7th grade, and that lead me to the books. I did a book report in 8th grade complete with a fabulous collage. I'm overdue for a re-read... it's been years. I loaned my set of books to someone (never again!) about 20 years ago and they were never returned. I need to buy a new set. 

Had a huge crush on David Dixon...

download.gif.b0b380965130576a4c027edd018923d8.gif

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Ditto... I remember watching it when I was in 6th or 7th grade, and that lead me to the books. I did a book report in 8th grade complete with a fabulous collage. I'm overdue for a re-read... it's been years. I loaned my set of books to someone (never again!) about 20 years ago and they were never returned. I need to buy a new set. 

Oh, yes. He was quite pretty!

The books are . . . well, there is so much to them that neither screen nor radio can really capture. Although the radio play comes closest, I guess. One of the things that was good about the movie was using Stephen Fry as the narrator (or the voice of the Guide), as he was a very close friend of Adams. So there's a kind of authenticity there.

The Dirk Gently books were pretty good too, but they were never going to quite replicate the magic. I haven't seen the TV spin-off of those.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Anyway.....

A guy at the beach just told me that only guys have multiple alts. After opening chat with a line guaranteed to pee me off.

I thought you all should know. 9_9

Well, obviously, since there are no girls on the internet, as any fule kno.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Anyway.....

A guy at the beach just told me that only guys have multiple alts. After opening chat with a line guaranteed to pee me off.

I thought you all should know. 9_9

I long suspected BTW. I don't have an alt so I might be a women... hmm nope just checked I am a dude. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I was going to streak the thread but nah... if someone wants to convince themself/selves I'm not female, that's on them, not me. 

First time I've had that for a while. He was brimming with opinionated crap.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

First time I've had that for a while. He was brimming with opinionated crap.

Does anyone really believe that? I've heard some clangers, but I've not come across anyone who believes women wouldn't have alts. What exactly was his logic? Why would anyone think that?

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Why would anyone think that?

I find it hard to take most people who take absolute positions seriously.  The people way out on the tails of a statistical distribution are likely to be living in their own world with their own assumptions about how the rest of us live, and aren't very likely to care what we think.  They're happy out there.  Let them be.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I find it hard to take most people who take absolute positions seriously.  The people way out on the tails of a statistical distribution are likely to be living in their own world with their own assumptions about how the rest of us live, and aren't very likely to care what we think.  They're happy out there.  Let them be.

I'm fine with that as long as they stay out there and away from me. joy.gif.f636953deb0117a88e14c5695b96d19f.gif

• Like 4

Things like this happen all too often.

==================================
PersonA: "I'm having problems with my head.  It keeps doing this weird thing."
Rhonda: That sounds like an old problem.  What version are you using?
PersonA: "1.0"
Rhonda: Yeah, that's an old version.  Just redeliver a new head at the store.
PersonA: "I'm on an old computer and don't want to update."
Rhonda: OK ....
PersonA: "So how do I fix it?"

[ ERROR: Unexpected End of Patience.  This conversation will now close ]

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

On 2/16/2020 at 3:25 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, the reference might have been to the books by Douglas Adams, or the BBC radio show (which I still consider the definitive Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!) or the movie.  I mean, HHG has been everywhere!  How could you possibly have missed it?

Do check out the BBC radio version!

No, that wasn't it.  I'm a big fan of the hitchhiker books. Doug Adams was a comic genius. I forget now what it was.  I thought the books were much better than the movie. The Zaphod and Ford characters were much better in my imagination. Haven't seen the BBC tv version which I believe came before the books. I also enjoyed the early Apple text based game which for some reason required one to find some dust in one's pocket.

I liked his other little series too, The Dirk Gently one.

Edited by kali Wylder
the long dark teatime of the soul
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Things like this happen all too often.

==================================
PersonA: "I'm having problems with my head.  It keeps doing this weird thing."
Rhonda: That sounds like an old problem.  What version are you using?
PersonA: "1.0"
Rhonda: Yeah, that's an old version.  Just redeliver a new head at the store.
PersonA: "I'm on an old computer and don't want to update."
Rhonda: OK ....
PersonA: "So how do I fix it?"

[ ERROR: Unexpected End of Patience.  This conversation will now close ]

Welcome to my world as a CSR ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2020 at 10:17 AM, Beth Macbain said:

Was David Dixon Ford Prefect?  If so he is much closer to my imagination than the one in the movie.

Oh years ago we went to buy a TV when teletext was the thing.

We didn't use teletext, never had it, so I asked the salesman if he could get one for us without. For the next twenty minutes he tried to convince us why we needed it. 

Eventually he lost the argument and we got a TV without teletext, which was also cheaper!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.